autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Review: Pinnacle Advanced Insect Remover

Review: Pinnacle Advanced Insect Remover

Let's start with the info available on the AG store page for this new product...

Solvent-free cleaner that will safely and effectively remove dried on insect remains from your paint, glass, chrome, and plastic surfaces.

Pinnacle Advanced Insect Remover features:

• Solvent free - no harsh chemicals!
    • Safe for use on all exterior surfaces
    • Deep penetrating formula
    • Removes both fresh and dried-on insect remains with ease

Sounds pretty straightforward. One of my jobs here is to review new products, this is always challenging as it's important to present the product in an honest and helpful manner so that people will know if this is a product that will solve their problems, in this case dried bugs on their car.

So let's see.... first I need a car with some bugs on it in order to truly use and evaluate this product and not simply "mock" it up. I don't do mock-up. So I ask in our weekly meeting if anyone has a car with dead, dried-on bugs on the front of their car. You could hear a cricket chirping as the room fell silent. Then Aimee, one of our Customer Care Staff and also someone who has take our 3-day Detailing Bootcamp class raised her hand and said she normally has dead bugs on the front of her KIA Soul. So I walk all the cars in the parking lot and true enough, the only car with dead bugs [left] in the parking lot that will also work for photography work is her white KIA Soul.

Here's the thing though... there's really only ONE easily visible bug on the front of the car!

That's okay, it's why I like having written hundreds of articles, I have an article on EVERYTHING including having to use a car with only one dead bug to remove for a new product review, here's the link.

I get the key and pull her car around to the garage and then took the below pictures as I used the product for the first time.

First here's the poor little bug, his carcass splattered onto a canvas of clear urethane paint as his last and final moment of proof he did once exist, free to roam this Earth.

This is me spraying him and the surrounding paint with the new Pinnacle Advanced Insect Remover.
    (Kind of tricky to hold and spray a bottle while at the same time taking a picture with a full size camera and getting the shot >in-focus< at the same time)

Here's the Advanced Insect Remover soaking into his dead little body as the product dwells on the surface.

The impact his life could have had, (no pun intended), we'll never know?

Next up I mist a little product on to a clean folded microfiber towel...

This is a tricky shot to get too when you're by yourself --> see the spray coming out of the nozzle?

Directions state to let the product dwell for up to 5 minutes before wiping....

Fast forward to 5 minutes later.... (that's my old 1966 Chevy Milk Truck Streetrod on the Apple Watch dial)

Time to wipe of his now moisturized carcass and bug guts off the paint...

Wiping.....

Hero shot!

And voila! (some people say wa la, but that's wrong, the word is Voila and it's French)

The paint is clean and bug and bug guts free!

After wiping the above section I noticed the paint looked pretty good for a bug-guts remover, so I wiped a section and took these pictures...

You can clearly see the clear, shiny finish the product left, not a dull, stained looking finish like most products.

And the obligatory dirty towel shot...

My review
    The product worked as advertised and actually worked better than I thought. It did a great job of softening the bug body and surrounding guts and make them easy to wipe off. Better yet it left the paint clean and shiny. So if a person were say travelling during bug season this would be great product to take with you to not only get the dead bug bodies and bug guts off your car's paint BEFORE the acids in the bug guts ETCHED your car's thinner than a Post-it Note paint but it will leave your car's finish looking like you just used a spray detailer or a spray wax.

The key to great results with a product like this is to also have plenty of clean microfiber towels handy to wipe with and if needed for really stubborn bug guts a bug sponge.

Me? If I have to drive any great distance during the "Love Bug Season" here in Florida, instead of subjecting my car's paint to the damage caused by hundreds of dead bugs plastered across the front of my car and the ensuing work to remove them... I simply rent a car and let the car rental agency deal with it.

On Autogeek.com

Pinnacle Advanced Insect Remover - 16 ounce spray bottle

Pinnacle Advanced Insect Remover - 1-gallon refill jug

Mike Phillips

Re: Review: Pinnacle Advanced Insect Remover

***Bump***

The AG newsletter went out at Midnight last night and the store has updated so the links to the products are now LIVE!

This product actually worked really well. The pictures would have more impact if it would have been "Love Bug Season" here in Florida.

Post Thanks / Like

How thick is this product? For five minute dwell time, doesn't there have to be a way to keep the product from running off and dripping onto the ground?

One thing I notice with the bug remover I use now is how rapidly it runs off any surface it is sprayed. Bugs typically collect on vertical surfaces like grills, bumpers, and side mirrors which are all perpinducular to the ground. Any spray on product runs right off pretty quickly. Coatings on all my vehices makes this problem even worse.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    How thick is this product? For five minute dwell time, doesn't there have to be a way to keep the product from running off and dripping onto the ground?

One thing I notice with the bug remover I use now is how rapidly it runs off any surface it is sprayed. Bugs typically collect on vertical surfaces like grills, bumpers, and side mirrors which are all perpinducular to the ground. Any spray on product runs right off pretty quickly. Coatings on all my vehices makes this problem even worse.
    I wonder if it would be any better if you swapped out the standard sprayer with a foaming sprayer?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

How thick is this product?
    Well it's definitely not watery like a spray detailer and it did have seem to cling to the front of the hood and stay wet the entire time.

Good question....

Post Thanks / Like

As always, thank you for the review! Keep on Rocking!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!