autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Review: BF Goodrich T/A Radials never looked so good! - Griots BLACK SHINE High Gloss Tire Gel

Review: BF Goodrich T/A Radials never looked so good! - Griots BLACK SHINE High Gloss Tire Gel

Griot's BLACK SHINE High Gloss Tire Gel

If you like a high gloss, deep, dark shine on your tires then you're going to love the new Griot's Garage BLACK SHINE High Gloss Tire Gel. As the name implies this is a thick gel formula which creates a deep, dark high gloss shine to rubber sidewalls adding the finishing touch to any proper detail.

Griot's sent us a pre-production sample to test out and I had the perfect tire and car project to put this new tire gel to the test. The car is a classic muscle car from the 1980's. It's a 1987 Buick Regal T-Type WE4. We used the car for one of our Thursday night detailing classes to teach how to remove swirls and scratches by machine but besides perfecting the paint we would need to address the tires to complete the detail.

This restored Buick has a brand new set of BF Goodrich T/A Radial tires on it. The BF Goodrich TA Radial tire was introduced in the 1970's and is probably one of the most recognized tire in the custom car world. They've never gone out of style because they look great on any car and of course they are a great value for your car tire dollars. In order to look their best however they need a great looking tire dressing and that leads us to Griot's Garage BLACK SHINE High Gloss Tire Gel.

Here's the pre-production sample of the BLACK SHINE Tire Gel along with one of the Griot's Griot’s Garage Target Tire Dressing Applicator Kits which includes one handle and two applicator pads.

Here's the front driver's side tire. Before starting this project we cleaned the tires using McKee's 37 Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator.

Here's a couple of shots showing you what virgin tire sidewalls look like after cleaning. There has never been any dressing applied to these tires previously so after a thorough cleaning we were down to a clean, fresh base of pure rubber.

This is the Griot's Target Tire Dressing applicator. As you can see it has channels cut into it to hold the dressing and then release it evenly as you swipe the face of the applicator over the tire sidewall.

Here's Frank, who's also alumni of both our Competition Ready Detailing Classes and alumni of our Boat Detailing Classes doing me a favor and applying the Griot's Garage BLACK SHINE High Gloss Tire Gel while I take the pictures.

Here's half and half

BEFORE

AFTER

Here's the car after our Thursday night class did the extreme makeover to the paint with all tires full dressed.

Here's the car and the tires outside early Friday morning...

Beautiful!

Bad in black - this car is ready to show!

If you like a high gloss shine on your car's tires, check out the Griot's Garage BLACK SHINE Tire Gloss Gel

On Autogeek.com

Griots Garage Black Shine Tire Gel

Griots Garage Target Tire Dressing Kit - 2 foam tire gel applicators and one handle

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: BF Goodrich T/A Radials never looked so good! - Griots BLACK SHINE High Gloss Tire Gel

When I read the words, "high gloss", that wasn't what I was expecting to see. "High Gloss" brought to mind the greasy, shiny look like you see at some car shows and used car dealerships.

I actually like the looks of the tires on that Buick. To my eyes that appears to be more of a deep, dark, healthy tire finish. I've been apprehensive to try a gel in the past because I was afraid they would leave the tires shiny. This one however, looks to be worth the a try!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Re: Review: BF Goodrich T/A Radials never looked so good! - Griots BLACK SHINE High Gloss Tire Gel

I'm not a fan of a slimy or greasy look or feel and that's what I was expecting but the finish was nice to the touch and the results look even better in person.