autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Review: FLEX 50 Foot - Heavy Duty Extension Cord - Don't use cheap cords with expensive power tools

Review: FLEX 50 Foot - Heavy Duty Extension Cord - Don't use cheap cords with expensive power tools

FLEX 50' Heavy Duty 12 AGW Power Cord

FLEX Tools North America introduced their brand new 50' Heavy Duty 12 AGW extension cord at SEMA and Bob Eichelberg was kind enough to give me one of the first cords available.

Here's the imprint in the cord showing the wire gauge size

Das Original Cord Features

• Made in America
    • Heavy duty 12 gauge wire thickness
    • 50' length
    • Lighted plug end
    • Flexible rubber outside won't kink

The problem
    If you use to light of gauge wiring in and extension cord the wire itself hinders the flow of electricity to the tool. This can harm the electrical components inside the tool and cause these components to burn out. The cord itself will get hot due to the impedance of electricity flow. In fact, you should NEVER feel heat or warmth coming from your extension cords when using FLEX tools. If you do this is sign that the cord is too light duty for the tool.

The solution
    A heavy duty extension cord that uses a minimum of 12 AGW wire. The longer the cord the more important it is for the cord to use 12 AGW wire. The FLEX 50' Heavy Duty 12 AGW Extension Cord is the solution FLEX offers all their tool customers to protect their tool investment while providing the correct flow of electricity to the tool.

What does AWG mean?
    American Wire Gauge (AWG) is a U.S. standard set of non-ferrous wire conductor sizes. The "gauge" means the diameter. Non-ferrous includes copper and also aluminum and other materials, but is most frequently applied to copper household electrical wiring. Typical household wiring is AWG number 12 or 14. The higher the gauge number, the smaller the diameter and the thinner the wire. Since thicker wire carries more current because it has less electrical resistance over a given length, thicker wire is better for longer distances. For this reason, where extended distance is critical, it's vital for the performance of the current delivery to use thicker gauge wire.

My comments...
    I know for a fact that too many guys are using extension cords that don't use the correct gauge wire for the tool they are using. I'd even say that there's a lot of people in all industries that have no clue that the gauge thickness of the wire in the extension cords they are using are just as important as the tool. I know from posts on our forum over the years that too many people are experiencing overheating problems with their polishers and blaming the polisher when the root cause is the extension cord.

Plus with a 50' cord you'll never have to plug in two 25' cords to reach from your plug-in to your project.

On Autogeek.com

FLEX 50 ft. 12/3 SJTW HD Extension Cord

Last edited by Mike Phillips; 01-29-2021 at 03:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sneak Peak! FLEX 50 Foot Heavy Duty Extension Cord - Tool Insurance and Power Efficiency

Looks good
    About 50-70 bucks give or take?
    600volt rated or 300?

Def buy this when it comes out

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sneak Peak! FLEX 50 Foot Heavy Duty Extension Cord - Tool Insurance and Power Efficiency

My go to cord is a 12/3 SJEOOW 300V cord....600V ain't going to make any difference given the application.

More pliable like a wet noodle --- with Hubbell ends...

Post Thanks / Like

I've already got more heavy duty extensions than I know what to do with! Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely engineered product.

Will be going in my arsenal for sure.

Mike Phillips

Bumpity bump

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: FLEX 50 Foot - Heavy Duty Extension Cord - Don't use cheap cords with expensive power tools

I'm currently using my Flex cord for Christmas light duty

8. Likes Thomkirby liked this post