Review: Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Matte Coating - 2015 Dodge Hellcat Sublime Green with Matte Painted Hood

Pinnacle Black Label Review Ceramic Matte Coating

What is it?

A ceramic coating specific to matte surfaces.

What does it do?

Provides a strong, durable layer of ceramic coating protection.

When do I use it?

The best time to use this is when your car is brand new. For older cars, use after first washing and drying.

Why should I use it?

To protect and maintain the appearance quality and integrity of matte surfaces. To make future cleaning faster and easier. To prevent fading and aging.

From the manufacturer

Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Matte Coating

Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Matte Coating is an authentic ceramic coating designed to protect all matte surfaces. Safe for us on matte paint, matte and vinyl wraps, matte wheels and other vinyl wrapped surfaces, Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Matte Coating will not add any gloss the surface. Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Matte Coating will enrich and nourish the surface, while also providing protection against contaminants. Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Matte Coating makes your matte surfaces look as good as new, not altering the original look and feel.

Matte surfaces are unlike paint surfaces and must be treated differently. Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Matte Coating is designed to protect matte surfaces against environmental contaminants such as road grime and water spots.

Not only will Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Matte Coating protect your matte surface from future harm, but it will also keep your matte looking like new. Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Matte Coating does this by enriching and nourishing the surface, keeping its original matte look and feel.

Unlike ceramic coatings for your paint, Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Matte Coating will not add any gloss, as this is not the effect matte should give.

Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Matte Coating is safe to use on a variety of matte surfaces, including matte paint, matte and vinyl wraps, matte wheels and vinyl wrapped surfaces. As long as the surface is matte, it will be protected.

Easy to apply, using a foam applicator in overlapping and even strokes and wiping clean with a microfiber towel. However, before applying, it is important to thoroughly prep the surface with a matte cleaner and with Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Prep Spray.

DIRECTIONS

-Use on a cool surface, out of direct sunlight.
-Using a dedicated matte cleaner, clean the surface to be coated to remove any dirt, dust and other debris.
-Prepare the surface for the coating with Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Prep Spray.
-Working on 2 x 2 square foot panel at a time, apply 5-7 drops of Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Matte Coating onto a foam coating applicator.
-Wipe onto the surface using overlapping strokes for even coverage.
-Allow to sit for approximately 1 minute before wiping away with a clean microfiber towel.
-Allow approximately 24 hours of curing time before exposing freshly coated surfaces to moisture.

2015 Dodge Hellcat

Here's my test car. This belongs to my buddy Frank. Frank purchased this car new and has been taking meticulous care of it.

While it arrived looking clean, before doing any work I first wiped it down using a new spray detailer in the BLACKFIRE line called BLACKFIRE Matte Detail Spray, which leads me to this very IMPORTANT personal recommendation from yours truly. Before every using any microfiber towel to wipe down matte paint, any matte surface or ANY paint for that matter - first inspect your towels.

INSPECT YOUR MICROFIBER TOWELS!

If you have not watched my video or read my article on how and why to inspect your microfiber towels - then do it. Here's the link,

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars

Here's why it's SUPER IMPORTANT when working on matte paint.

Because you cannot remove scratches out of matte paint.

If you try, you're going to make a shiny spot and this shiny spot is going to stick out like a SORE THUMB against the matte appearance of the surrounding paint. Microfiber towels are what most of us use to wipe down our cars and it's very easy for your microfiber towels to become contaminated if you're not incredibly meticulous about taking care of your towels. Even if you are OCD when it comes to using, washing, drying and then storing your towels and you NEVER let them drop onto the floor, they can still become contaminated.

So before wiping any paint down, or matte wraps or graphics and Especially any MATTE PAINT - just take a few moments to carefully inspect your microfiber towels both visually and tactically like you see me doing in the picture below.

Step 1: Prep the surface

After wiping the matte surfaces down with the Matte Detail Spray, next I re-wiped these surfaces using the Pinnacle Black Label Surface Prep Spray. This is a product that falls into the category of products called,

Panel Wipes

A panel wipe is usually some form of paint-safe solvent used to super clean a surface to remove any residues that could prevent the bonding of a coating.

Step 2: Coat the panel or a section of a panel

Next apply 5-7 drops of the Ceramic Matte Coating to a foam or microfiber applicator pad. It's also a good idea to inspect your applicator pads to make sure the are clean an free from any contaminants.

Use a simple crosshatch pattern to apply the coating going over each section you coat with 4 section passes.

Wait for 1 minute and allow the product to do it's magic.

Step 3: Using a a clean, soft microfiber towel, gently wipe the area to even out the application and remove any high spots.

Insect the panel from different angles using available light to ensure a uniform and even appearance while wiping.

Repeat this process to the rest of the panel

And in less time and work it would take to wax a painted hood you have just applied a ceramic coating to you matte painted hood.

Now that's nice. The final results have a rich, dark sheen.

And the results are UNIFORM no matter where you look. There's no splotchiness or streaks or smears.

The coated matte surface will now have a hydrophobic layer of protection, which will protect it, keep it cleaner longer and make washing and drying faster and safer.

Review

I've known Frank for quite a few years, he was a regular attender of our Saturday Cars & Coffee cars shows we use to hold here at Autogeek before the front property was sold and another row of warehouses were built. He's very meticulous with all his cars and especially this Hellcat, which will likely become a future highly sought-after modern collectible muscle car.

So when I reached out to Frank and asked about using his Hellcat for two new Matte products, having earned his trust over the years in the area of car detailing, he kindly agreed. And while having a person's trust is one thing, it's more important when working on THEIR toy, to make sure you don't screw it up - especially a cool car with a HUGE MATTE PAINTED HOOD. If the products used on this type of matte black paint screw it up - it's going to show. It's also going to be very difficult to recover from because you CANNOT RUB on MATTE PAINT.

The good news is, as Andre did product testing with this new matte coating I watched and evaluated his testing and results and by the time the formula was finalized and ready to launch the results were impressive. This coating adds a dark richness to matte surfaces without adding gloss or shine. This is a positive feature as a richer looking matte surface simply looks better than a flatter, drab dull matte surface.

Water spot protection

Andre also tested this coating for water spotting and at least in his testing, water spots wiped right off with a matte detailer without leaving any water marks behind. Now that's cool.

Quick and easy with pro-quality results

This coating is easy to use. It applies easy, the excess residue wipes off easy and the results are UNIFORM and not splotchy or muted. But more important, it adds just a tick of darkness while leaving the surface with a uniform matte surface.

A noticeable improvement

When Frank came to pick up his car he INSTANTLY noticed a difference and like it. And Frank, I know you'll be reading this and true to my word, I have a free bottle of this coating and also the new BLACKFIRE Matte Detail Spray for you here on my desk.

On Autogeek.com

Pinnacle Black Label Review Ceramic Matte Coating

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Prep Spray

Cobra Storm Gray Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloth