autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: NEW Lake Country Microfiber Pads - 2 step swirl destroyer and shine maker!

Quote Originally Posted by ShineDoc View Post
    Can these be used on a rotary?

In the context that anything is possible and where there's a will there's a way.

Microfiber pads are really best when used with free spinning orbital polishers.

The term for how the buffing experience FEELS when using any gear-driven tool, which includes the FLEX 3401 and any brand of rotary buffer is,

Grabby

I highly recommend everyone try a microfiber pad on either a FLEX 3401 or a rotary buffer and as you're buffing along pay attention and wonder to yourself if the experience doesn't feel grabby.

I have a Thursday night class where I let a number of experienced detailers try microfiber pads on both types of tool and asked them to share their opinions and they agreed and vindicated what I've said above.

Dated December 4th, 2012, read about it for yourself... see post #2

2012 Dodge Challenger + Menzerna Color Lock Makeover

IF you want to try to use microfiber pads with gear driven tools then I highly recommend finding pads that have a THICK foam core, not a thin foam core. OR use a thick foam interface pads. AT some point you will come to the conclusion that there are simply better pad options for gear-driven tools than to try to take pads that work best on free spinning tools and make them work on gear driven tools.

I still highly encourage everyone to try for themselves so they can have their own REAL WORLD experience and thus an opinion that actually matters.

So much information on this forum, half of my forum work is simply remembering where everything is at.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: NEW Lake Country Microfiber Pads - 2 step swirl destroyer and shine maker!

nice pads make special for flex polishers why not make them in 6" and 5"

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by adolfitovr6 View Post

nice pads make special for flex polishers
    Not sure what you're trying to say?

Did you mean,

nice pads MADE special for FLEX polishers?

I'm guessing you meant to type the word MADE instead of MAKE? Please correct me if I'm wrong - just trying to figure it out and also make sure there's no confusion for anyone that reads this into the future.

Regardless, just so there's no confusion, these new microfiber pads from Lake Country are NOT specifically made for FLEX polishers they are made for ANY ORBITAL POLISHER.

And from experience, microfiber pads work best on FREE SPINNING orbital polishers but of course, your mileage may vary...

Quote Originally Posted by adolfitovr6 View Post

why not make them in 6" and 5"

Um.... they are available in 5" and 6"

More specifically, they are offered in

3 1/4"

5 1/4"

6 1/4"

The extra 1/4" in diameter is to help with centering and also provide a little safety margin to the EDGE of the backing plate is not immediately close to the paint you're buffing on in-case you buff into curves or go up on edge...

Make sense?

Here's the link to these pads on the AG store

Lake Country Microfiber Cutting Pads

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Is there an ETA as to when they'll be available?
    "All persons living or dead, are purely coincidental."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Vegas View Post
    Is there an ETA as to when they'll be available?
    looks like they are available now..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I'm not normally a user of microfiber pads for the type of car detailing I tend to do but I will say these new microfiber pads worked great on the hard custom paint job this car had.

On the Porter Cable like you see in the pictures I tend to run this polisher full-out, that is speed 6 just to ensure good pad rotation and simply for speed as in getting the job done quickly.

To date, when I use the RUPES orbital polishers or the Griot's BOSS I tend to stick with each companies matching foam pads.

i gotta be honest i have the griots garage 6" polisher and before that i had the harbor freight. using either on speed 6 to me seems like its going to fast. will i get better results if i learn to use these on the higher speed?

Post Thanks / Like

I find the GG6 turned all the way up to be too much also. I'm usually between 5 - 5.5. Nothing wrong with the lower speed as long as the backing plate is rotating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I highly recommend everyone try a microfiber pad on either a FLEX 3401 or a rotary buffer and as you're buffing along pay attention and wonder to yourself if the experience doesn't feel grabby.
    I use Griot's black MF thin pads on my Flex 3401 and felt they did a great job. In terms of "grabby" it was rare and it seemed to be after nearing the end of my second panel which is fine as I change pads every 1-2 panels depending on what I see going on. I agree though that they did exhibit a bit of a grabby feeling but it wasn't from moment one.

IF you want to try to use microfiber pads with gear driven tools then I highly recommend finding pads that have a THICK foam core, not a thin foam core. OR use a thick foam interface pads. AT some point you will come to the conclusion that there are simply better pad options for gear-driven tools than to try to take pads that work best on free spinning tools and make them work on gear driven tools.
    I tried the thicker L.C. Grey colored Foam Hybrid Force Cutting pads but found the G.G. Black MF Fast Cutting did a way better job and in far less time. Not sure what I'll do with my Gray Hybrids now as I will likely continue with MF on tough jobs.

Here's what I was dealing with.
    21yr old MBZ AMG Paint that was trashed.

I corrected it with:

• Flex 3401 with G.G. Black MF Fast Cutting Pad
    • Meg's 101
    • Followed up the compound with HD Speed on Green Hex Logic Pads

Here's what I ended up with after:

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    i gotta be honest i have the griots garage 6" polisher and before that i had the harbor freight. using either on speed 6 to me seems like its going to fast. will i get better results if i learn to use these on the higher speed?
    The Porter Cable isn't as powerful and needs to be turned up more to keep the pad spinning.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast