autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

New Product Testing - Monster 4x4 1957 Chevy Bel Air

New Product Testing - Monster 4x4 1957 Chevy Bel Air

Nick came to my office recently with some new product to test. I knew that in order to really put the collection of new products to a real test I would need something large in order to spend hours buffing not just a few minutes buffing out a fender or two. So I contacted my friend Billy and asked him when the last time he had his old 2-door Chevy detailed and he said it had been over a year. Since this car doesn't fit inside his garage it's parked outside 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. When there's not another project in the middle of the build he does have a carport that's tall enough to park under so it does get some protection from the sun's rays and full-on South Florida weather.

Here's Billy's car. It's a Monster 4x4 1957 Chevy Bel Air. Yes, I asked, it's a real Bel Air not just a 1957 Chevy with the Bel Air Trim package. And if you're wondering how big those tires are, it's sitting on 46" Micky Thompson Baja Claws!

The paint is a modern urethane single stage metallic, both the pearl white and the green sections. Over the last year the paint has oxidized and become stained. It also has a lot of contamination as Billy does a lot of metal fab work and painting at his shop.

If you look closely, you can see lines in the paint in the next three pictures running from top to bottom, these are the stains in the paint following the path of gravity.

Waterless wash
    First thing I need to get it clean and since it's as large as an RV I used McKee's RV Wash & Wax on the Go to wipe her down. This waterless wash work great to clean both neglected paint and paint in excellent condition. It's available by the 32 ounce bottle and also by the gallon. You can also purchase it as a concentrate and mix your own ready to use waterless wash yourself.

Nanoskin pads
    If you've read my book, How to use the FLEX 3401 for both Show Car Detailing and Production Detailing then you know I think the Nanoskin Autoscrub pads are the bet way to get contaminated paint perfectly clean and smooth. So for this Monster 4x4 that's what I used to remove the above surface bonded contaminants only instead of the FLEX 3401 I used the new FLEX XFE 7 - 15mm Free spinning, long stroke orbital polisher.

McKee's 37

For the testing I'm going to use the vertical panels because I can reach them while standing on my two feet. So for the higher, horizontal panels, I knocked these out using a one-step product called McKee's 37 Jewelling Wax with an Autogeek's 6.5" ThinPro White Foam Polishing pad. This product cleaned, polished and left the paint on the roof, hood and trunklid protected in one step. Now I can return the JLG Hydraulic Lift back to the warehouse.

Mike Phillips

Re: New Product Testing - Monster 4x4 1957 Chevy Bel Air

Continued...

New Product Testing

Now that the paint on the sides of the Monster 4x4 Chevy Bel Air are clean and decontaminated it's time to busy testing new products. This is where classic body styles like this 1957 Chevy Bel Air com in handy for hours of buffing to see how new product will react over time.

Griot's BOSS 21

Griot's BOSS 15

FLEX XFE 7-15

Nick came by and checked these new pads out on the RUPES BigFoot orbital polishers!

Mike Phillips

Continued...

Time to seal the deal

In order seal the paint and maximize the gloss and protection I chose 2 products from Dodo Juice Carnauba Waxes. Dodo Juice Light Fantastic Soft Wax and Dodo Juice Rainforest Rub Soft Wax. I love the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher as a machine wax spreader and also for machine wet sanding with 3" sanding discs. There's no sanding going on here but there's a lot of sheetmetal real-estate to cover. With a 3" foam pad I can place the pad directly into the jar of wax and then simply blip the on/off button on the polisher to get some wax on the pad. Then it's just a matter of spreading it over the panels.

Dodo Juice Carnauba Waxes and the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher

Griot's Garage PFM Wax Removal Towel

To remove the wax I'm testing out the new Griot's Garage Pure Freakin' Magic Wax Removal Towels. What makes these cool is they are single sided so no need to fold and re-fold or remember which of the 8 sides of a normal 16" x 16" towel has been used or not used. The towel also offers something I talk a lot about when it comes to restoring antique single stage paint with Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze and that's a large loop nap towel. For restoring paint I use a large nap cotton towel to act as both a gentle forum of abrasive and also to slice into the thick oily layer of #7 when it's time to remove it.

This is a microfiber towel so you get the safety and plushness of microfiber but the large loop works to slice into and break up layers of wax or actually anything you want to remove.

Enough talking... time to start removing wax...

Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work, Mike!

The all-black polisher intrigues me... I could hazard a guess as to what it is, but I'll keep it to myself for now
    Street/Racing Concepts
    '02 Mercedes SLK32 AMG, '05 Mercedes SL65 AMG, '02 Audi A6 Quattro 4.2- All Silver!

Post Thanks / Like

As you always do, that Chevy looks great!

I love those tires too!

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet car!
    The polisher peaked my curiosity, even though I won't be able to buy it lol
    Currently: 2014 Jet Black Mica Mazda 6

Previously: 2004 Milano Red Acura TSX

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Yet another new polisher?

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm my guess the new version of the 3401, looks like a flex cord !

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

I love those tires too!
    Offered to apply a coating to the tires but Billy is in the camp of "no tire dressings".

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGuy21 View Post

Sweet car!
    It's definitely different. Some people like cars and some people like trucks and some people like cartrucks.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast