autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review: Griot's Garage 3 inch Pneumatic Orbital Polisher - Mighty Mouse!

Review: Griots Garage 3 inch Pneumatic Orbital Polisher - Mighty Mouse!

I like to call this tool Mighty Mouse because like the mouse cartoon character it's small but it's

POWERFUL!

This is a mini polisher that runs off air and because of it's small, compact size it enables you to get into tight intricate areas and polish or wax till your heart is content. It comes with a 3" backing plate and works great with 3" and 4" foam, wool and microfiber pads.

How much air do you need?

That's is the most common question when it comes to air tools and here's the deal, you need

4 CFM @ 90 PSI

So if your air compressor can handle that then this is the tool for you. Let's take a closer look at what's in the box and then I'll show you some pictures of this tool in action on a car I've been buffing out for a few days.

Here he is still in the box....

Here's everything taken out of the box except for the thread tape which I keep in the garage.

NICE
    Seems most air regulators that come with most products don't really work. You either have the option of full on or just a trickle of air. Not so with this air regulator. It has detent that you can feel as you adjust the pressure to your liking and these detentes lock the setting to where you put it. That's nice but what's better is it actually works. This means you can adjust the air pressure going into the tool and thus control the speed of the buffing pad. Just set it and forget it.

Attaching the backing plate
    This little pin wrench comes with the kit and you use this to hold the spindle from spinning while you attach the backing plate and snug it down.

Ready to rock and roll!

Adjusting the pressure
    I've already compounded and polished this old 2-door Chevy so next I'm going to machine wax it using the Griot's 3" Mini Pneumatic Random Orbital Polisher with a Lake Country 3" white foam polishing pad and some Dodo Juice Rain Forrest Rub Soft Wax. While your eyes probably go to my fingers making the adjustment for power if you look at the pad you can see she's a spinning.

I'm a machine guy!
    Why do anything by hand unless you have to right? Simply rest the face of the pad against the wax in the jar and blip the throttle a few seconds and you're wax machine!

Need to make sure the paint between the two mini chrome skulls is protected.

Don't forget the wheels...
    Now this is handy as all heck getting in here and machine polishing the paint on these wheels....

If you like air tools and you have an air compressor this will be you new favorite air tool.

On Autogeek.com

Griots Garage 3 inch Pneumatic Orbital Polisher

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Griot's Garage 3 inch Pneumatic Orbital Polisher - Mighty Mouse!

Mike...how does it compare to the 3" Electric version? I have one now i reserve for headlights and tight area if i have A LOT of time. I'ts not exactly the most powerful thing. I was looking at going to a Flex or Rupes, but if the air model is comparable I'll go that route.....

Mike

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Firehouse Mike View Post
    Mike...how does it compare to the 3" Electric version? I have one now i reserve for headlights and tight area if i have A LOT of time. I'ts not exactly the most powerful thing. I was looking at going to a Flex or Rupes, but if the air model is comparable I'll go that route.....

Mike
    I'll reply on Mike's behalf because he's just starting a long 3 day weekend...

The 3" pneumatic polisher is easily twice as powerful as its electric counterpart - easily.

Like Mike said, if you have an air compressor do yourself a favor and get one of these now!

Post Thanks / Like

Alright I'm sold....and I was at Griots store in Tacoma earlier today too!!

Post Thanks / Like

yet another fine offering from the GG, awesome!
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool! Looks like that little guy is a beast!

More pictures of the classic Chevy please.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post

More pictures of the classic Chevy please.

Well you're right about it being a Chevy...

But I think we're past using the word classic....

Three words....

Wait for it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Well you're right about it being a Chevy...

But I think we're past using the word classic....

Three words....

Wait for it

Hmmm, Maybe its sitting on a mid 80's model Silverado or mid 90's model Blazer frame?

Anxiously awaiting...

Post Thanks / Like

The tool is pretty nice, but I have to admit the '55~'57 Chevy converted into a lifted 4x4 is what really caught my interest!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

It has to be one of the coolest tri-fives around!
    Robert DiTerlizzi, 772-260-6636
    Impressions Fine Automotive Detailing
    7656 SW Jack James Dr.Stuart, Fl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast