autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint Hardness Spreadsheet

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Thanks for putting this together, I appreciate the time and effort that goes into projects like these...

Audi Soft Paint - Making Generalizations about Hardness and Softness

I'm confident over time as this chart increases with information it will help a lot of people that are new to detailing. The next best thing a person can do when starting out and unsure if the paint on the car they are working on is hard or soft is to do some testing and follow the sage advice of using the least aggressive product to get the job done to leave the most paint on the car afterwards.

How To Do a Test Spot
    (and why it's so important)

The LINE ---> How to avoid the line!

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

All the above is just for reference to go with the chart for all the people that will read this into the future, both forum members and lurkers...

Thanks Andrew for putting this together...

Here's a screenshot so everyone can see how this is laid out...

Thanks Mike. This subject came up in discussion on another thread and I felt compelled to start a basic chart and discussion. This subject can be touchy at times and I thought it would be good to have a point of reference that everyone can go back to if need be.

Paint hardness or softness is mentioned a lot of times and some people bring it up because it changed their decision on what pad or compound they had to use to yield the best results. If those same people find it happening multiple times on their customer's cars, then they can add the info here to share. Like mentioned before, it is subjective, and everyone should test out any car before they commit to using the suggestions, but it is meant to give a general sense of direction.

It's also good, because a lot of new people find this site and look for direction because they bought a new vehicle and want to maintain it the best way possible. So they can review this, in conjuction with posting specific questions, to make their decision on their 1st purchase easier.

Thanks again for those appropriate pointers.
    "The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world is to be in reality what we would appear to be." --- Socrates

Post Thanks / Like

We should probably just stick with an "X" in the appropriate column. I think the numbers make it too confusing. Just a suggestion.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by AC in OC View Post

It's also good, because a lot of new people find this site and look for direction because they bought a new vehicle and want to maintain it the best way possible. So they can review this, in conjunction with posting specific questions, to make their decision on their 1st purchase easier.

I agree 100%

The one thing people new to detailing don't have is experience and the only way to gage if a paint system is hard or soft is by having already buffed on multiple cars with a wide range of softness and hardness.

How could a person know if the paint was hard or soft if they've never buffed out a car before?

A: A chart like the one you've created.

B: Doing a test spot and then posting the results to a forum like this and asking for feedback as it relates to what they are seeing left in the paint together with the pad, chemical and tool used.

C: Starting with just a posted question...

I actually cover the topic of paint hardness and paint softness in my how-to book, page 7 & 8 in the new second edition and pages 9 & 10 in the first edition and I my recommendation as to the best way to judge paint hardness or softness is via experience and explain why in that section.

Thanks again for those appropriate pointers.

Paint hardness and softness is a common topic as it is a huge unknown variable between cars, (between paint systems), I think I have a really good article or two on this topic on MOL that dates back to 2005 or 2006.

Again, nice work and a valuable asset to the forum.

Post Thanks / Like

I have created a blank template for experienced detailers to contribute to. I have read in numerous posts about a certain manufacturer having soft or hard clearcoat, which affects the pad or compound choices. Since a lot of people have found out by trial and error which is which, I thought it might be good to gather this info into one place that everyone can edit.

I am, by definition, a newb. I'm sure it's not perfect. So if I missed something, feel free to add or delete. I gave open permission to allow anyone to edit the Google Doc spreadsheet. Simply put an "X" in the box for hard or soft. I also added a column that is quite subjective: Winning Combination for pads and compounds/polishes.

I understand that this info may differ from car to car, maybe it had a repaint, etc; but in gerneral terms, for instance, I've heard that Audi's have hard clears vs. Subaru's soft clearcoat. It's really meant to help people brand new to this to make an informed decision. Eventually we each find our favorites and stick to it, but this chart is meant to be a quick reference.

Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FE&usp=sharing

Hope this helps in any way, and thanks in advance for your input.
    Wow! Thanks so much for this. It really helps.

I know others may have mentioned it, but what do you think about a comments column for anomalies or exceptions to the generally accepted findings? ie. BMW has generally hard paint expect for their Black which tends to be softer? What do you think?
    The Pop is in the Prep.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

I actually cover the topic of paint hardness and paint softness in my how-to book, page 7 & 8 in the new second edition and pages 9 & 10 in the first edition and I my recommendation as to the best way to judge paint hardness or softness is via experience and explain why in that section.

Paint hardness and softness is a common topic as it is a huge unknown variable between cars, (between paint systems), I think I have a really good article or two on this topic on MOL that dates back to 2005 or 2006.

Again, nice work and a valuable asset to the forum.

Thanks Mike. Probably a good first purchase for new people is your book. I think we get excited and want to jump right into buffing our cars so that it looks as good as the ones showcased in the show-n-shine section. But that takes practice and a wealth of knowledge. Your books help with 50% of that equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodloe3 View Post
    Wow! Thanks so much for this. It really helps.

I know others may have mentioned it, but what do you think about a comments column for anomalies or exceptions to the generally accepted findings? ie. BMW has generally hard paint expect for their Black which tends to be softer? What do you think?
    Sure, no problem. I agree a comment column would be a goood addition. If you want, feel free to add that to the doc as you're envisioning. It's fairly simple to do. If you're having trouble with it, PM me and I'll assist.
    "The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world is to be in reality what we would appear to be." --- Socrates

Post Thanks / Like

great post idea! thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this spreadsheet - great idea!
    Just wondering...is there some kind of code in the label on the door panel of a car that tells where the car was made? I don't know if you can or not, but if you can, this might help also. Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Great post, really nice list and thanks so much for sharing..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meticulous-Detail View Post
    We should probably just stick with an "X" in the appropriate column. I think the numbers make it too confusing. Just a suggestion.

I took out the numbers someone put in there to avoid confusion. It's starting to take shape. Thanks for the input everyone. Let's keep it going!

Post Thanks / Like

I took out the numbers someone put in there to avoid confusion. It's starting to take shape. Thanks for the input everyone. Let's keep it going!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast