autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chemical Guys Products?

Quote Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
    They have them beside the 5 Dolla Boom Boom towels?
    Right next to the empty spot for the upcoming "Rub you long time, Joe" guzzler towels...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RavenHawk View Post
    From reading your replies, it appears that your position is:

1. Since you have purchased "a bunch of their over priced towels", it has made you confident enough to pass judgement on their entire line of towels,
    2. Their entire line of towels is garbage, for no reasons, other than they use too many adjectives and you couldn't find the GSM for the towels you purchased, and
    3. The particular towels I mentioned (Professional Grade Premium Microfiber Towels - MIC 501) should never be used on paint.

Anything else I'm missing?
    Yes, quite a bit...
    1. I can pass judgement based on prior performance. It shows a trend.
    2. The towels are "garbage" (I'll admit, that's a bit strong, lets say bargain basement quality) based on performance and over all quality (linting, breakdown). Their marketing philosophy (over hype and under deliver) is pretty lame as well. If they were professionals and cared about their customers getting the most out of their products, they would have a simple chart or basic info..like AG, the rag company, microfiber tech, etc.
    3. I said I would never, now that I know better, use towel with questionable quality and unknown GSM on MY paint. As stated before, you can do whatever you like. ?Heck, use a crappy towel, get some scratches/marring..that's ok just use some Blacklight to get the "fresh, wet look". With that said, I think it would poor form to advise someone who doesn't know any better that its ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Best overall towel I had used will be Meguiars Supreme Shine ^^
    Can be use on everything for car detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tenblade2001 View Post
    1. I can pass judgement based on prior performance. It shows a trend.
    I, too, am beginning to notice a trend...
    Up to this point, you have provided nothing but a blanket statement without any real information, which is ironic, as you are bashing a company for doing the same thing.
    2. The towels are "garbage" (I'll admit, that's a bit strong, lets say bargain basement quality) based on performance and over all quality (linting, breakdown).
    Finally, two “reasons” for your position, but once again, here we go with the hyperbole…
    Let’s try an exercise. See if you can spot the “bargain basement” towel in this picture:

Which one did you choose?

Their marketing philosophy (over hype and under deliver) is pretty lame as well. If they were professionals and cared about their customers getting the most out of their products, they would have a simple chart or basic info..like AG, the rag company, microfiber tech, etc.
    As I mentioned in an earlier response, we are in total agreement with your assessment regarding their marketing philosophy. Unclear descriptions and outlandish buzz words are their modus operandi. While it has no impact on the performance (or lack of) of their products, I feel it definitely “cheapens” the brand name.
    3. I said I would never, now that I know better, use towel with questionable quality and unknown GSM on MY paint. As stated before, you can do whatever you like. ?Heck, use a crappy towel, get some scratches/marring..that's ok just use some Blacklight to get the "fresh, wet look".
    Two things champ:
    1. You can drop the condescending attitude, and
    2. If you are going to claim to “know better”, be damn sure you actually do…

Let’s try an exercise using my Ozeri Epicurean digital scale:

Ready to go!

Weight of randomly picked CG "Garbage" towel:

Now, it just so happens that I was looking at towels a few days ago from a “tech” company that deals in “microfiber” and they have a line of towels with almost identical characteristics:

Size: 16 in. x 16 in. Check
    Towel Weight: 64 grams (approx.) Check
    Fabric Blend: 70% Polyester - 30% Polyamide - 100% Split Microfiber Check
    Edge: Silk Check
    Country of Origin: Made in China Check
    Fabric Weight: 400 grams per square meter (GSM) What???

Obviously something is wrong with my assumption, because, after all, these are “bargain basement” towels. Time to do some further investigation:

• Actual weight of 12 CG “Garbage” towels in grams (washed twice, thoroughly dried): 66, 62, 67, 61, 63, 67, 64, 63, 61, 61, 63, 65

• Average weight in grams: 63.58

• Actual measurements of said towels to the nearest 1/8 inch: 15.75x15.875, 15.75x16, 15.75x16.25, 15.625x15.875, 15.5x15.75, 16.25x15.375, 15.675x15.875, 15.875x15.875, 15.875x15.375, 15.675x16, 16.125x15.5, 15.75x15.75

• Average measurements: 15.97x15.63 inches, or 0.4056 x 0.3970 meters

As you are so concerned with GSM, or grams per square meter, let’s do some calculations based on the averages I obtained:

G/M^2 = 63.58/(0.4056x0.3970) = 394.85

Very interesting…

Now this is just a quick “cut and dry” method to get an approximation of the GSM for these particular towels. To do a complete analysis, one would need to take into consideration the added weight of the silk banding, and subtract the missing surface area (the towels have rounded corners, not square)…anyone up for a regression analysis?

With that said, I think it would poor form to advise someone who doesn't know any better that its ok.
    I feel it is poor form to claim to "know better" and provide blanket statements that are misleading, whether intentional or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Chemical Guys Products?

Damn. I have some CGs towels that are pretty nice. The Sasquatch and some other towels that are like 500gsm.

But, I asked them some hard questions (well not really that hard) over at Autopia, and unless I missed something - they choose to ignore it.

1. Why is Sticky Wheel Cleaner being labeled and sold as pH neutral - when it's not?

2. Why wasn't my review of Lava posted on their website?

It's hard to trust anything companies like this say, when the integrity of some of their labeling is in question and they cherry pick reviews.

That being said, there are some CGs products I will continue to buy - because they are quite good:

1. Grime Reaper

2. Citrus Red

3. Sticky Whee Cleaner

But I stumbled on these products by accident. Won't be trying any new ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Gee for your sake I hope they don't come out with a great product, you would never get to try it. There will always be something new and who knows which company will produce it? AG says they test ALL the products they sell and only sell the best. How dare you not trust PBMG! Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Ummmm, I don't feel like reading through this crap, but I noticed a few posts above me that the GSM of towels was being mentioned. GSM doesn't mean anything about the quality of the towel. Kirkland Gold towels from Costco I believe run 350 gsm. Go up 10 GSM and get a 360 GSM towel from Cobra or MFT and you're talking about a huge difference in quality and I'll tell you for sure it has nothing to do with the 10 GSM or silk edge. The fibers themselves are superior.
    Microfibertech which I think you mentioned has a 530 GSM towel that is better than the Cobra 530's I've seen at the shop I work. The MFT towels feel a little less heavy/dense, but I've seen the results.
    GSM has NOTHING to do with quality.
    I will say I've tried the gold towels from Chemical Guys similar to the Gold Plush Jr's and 360 MFT towels. Chemical Guy's towel is FAR inferior to the others. The MFT prices are also better.

Again, I don't like reading through bickering (I hate YouTube comments) so I didn't read the posts. So maybe I missed a huge point and am typing this from my phone for no reason.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

I like to research and see what people like from CG, then test those products myself.

As far as compounds and polishes, I tend to avoid CG as their lineup is so dang confusing and overlapping. This tends to happen in all their products though.

I have been extremely impressed with the shine I obtain with CG EZ Creme Glaze and topping that with BFWD is just a choice combo. CG EZ Creme is now my winter prep instead of lightly polishing the paint before the salt and grime starts flying, saves some clear coat while hiding/smoothing out imperfections.

Their silk shine dressing is my new go-to for interiors, great light new car-ish scent and a satin shine paired with a very reasonable price = me likey. I love 303, but the scent of silk shine wins me over in how much nicer the experience is and it doesn't rub off the sides of doors and leave some areas looking more dull than others.

I have a bottle of VRP dressing to test on tires in the spring and summer, but meguiars hyper dressing still has me for versatility and value.

I'll be trying their bare-bones undercarriage dressing/protectant this spring when I pull the fusion out of storage as well.

The Citrus wash and gloss is a great soap for prepping for polishing, when using a few ounces with 3-4 gallons of water it strips all existing waxes/sealants.

I bought 8 or 9 16oz bottles of product when they had their 30% off spring sale just to try. Totalled around $50 and who doesn't like trying something new? Their New car and leather spray scents smell very good as well, just don't last long at all. The stripper scent is fun and the wife enjoys the smell as well

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE.
    again, I don't like reading through bickering (I hate YouTube comments) so I didn't read the posts. So maybe I missed a huge point and am typing this from my phone for no reason.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, it may have seemed like bickering, but from my end it was just a vigorous discussion.

@RavenHawk-well done! I was making my points based on anecdotal evidence and you cut out the BS and went for the empirical data. Congrats. I will qualify and be more specific with my statements in the future i.e." in my experience". I was .

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, as stated in previous post (in this thread), I'm a fan of several CG products...their towels are just not one of them.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast