autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Goof Off vs 3M Adhesive Remover vs Brake Cleaner for removing sticky stuff

Since none of this was purchased from Autogeek, I figured that it did not belong in the reviews section...

I had a bunch of adhesive residue from wheel weights on every wheel of my 2002 Porsche 911. Why do I care? Well some of them were really long strips and close enough to the face of the wheel to be clearly visible when the wheels are mounted on the car. No matter how much wheel cleaner I used, these areas would just not get clean. I read on the Internet (so it must be true) that brake cleaner works for removing this stuff. I had some Goof Off Pro Strength and also obtained some 3M Adhesive Remover (the one that has Auto Advanced on the can). I used some plastic razor blades as scrapers.

The contenders:
    Goof Off vs 3M Adhesive Remover vs Brake Cleaner for removing sticky stuff-vlcsnap-2017-03-28-11h31m27s110-jpgGoof Off vs 3M Adhesive Remover vs Brake Cleaner for removing sticky stuff-vlcsnap-2017-03-28-11h33m12s121-jpg

The wheel:
    Goof Off vs 3M Adhesive Remover vs Brake Cleaner for removing sticky stuff-vlcsnap-2017-03-28-11h31m14s393-jpg

Initially, I only had the brake cleaner and Goof Off available. Later, I went out and bought the 3M. My method was to apply the chemicals to each patch of adhesive and let it soak for 5 minutes. This turned out to have basically no effect whatsoever (below):
    Goof Off vs 3M Adhesive Remover vs Brake Cleaner for removing sticky stuff-vlcsnap-2017-03-28-11h32m04s710-jpg

I then reapplied the chemicals to each patch and immediately started to scrape with the plastic razor. I found that the patch treated with the Goof Off was easier to remove. To be fair, the brake cleaner did OK but the Goof Off did a much better job when the adhesive patch appeared to have been removed but there was still tackiness on the wheel surface.
    Goof Off vs 3M Adhesive Remover vs Brake Cleaner for removing sticky stuff-vlcsnap-2017-03-28-11h32m59s555-2-jpg

I then tried the 3M and compared it with the Goof Off. It seemed to be a little more effective overall, but you can achieve good results with both. Later, I found that the 3M is great at removing tar and pretty much anything else on the wheels that wheel cleaner doesn`t remove.
    Goof Off vs 3M Adhesive Remover vs Brake Cleaner for removing sticky stuff-vlcsnap-2017-03-28-11h33m39s134-jpg

Here's the finished wheel:
    Goof Off vs 3M Adhesive Remover vs Brake Cleaner for removing sticky stuff-vlcsnap-2017-03-28-11h33m58s804-jpg

The 3M product seems to be about twice the price as the Goof Off.

I took a look at the MSDS sheets for both Goof Off Pro Strength and 3M Adhesive Remover. They primarily contain acetone, xylene and ethylbenzene. Goof Off also has methanol, whereas 3M has solvent naphtha. Seems like 3M might have a higher concentration of some of these. Goo Gone, a similar product to Goof Off (and which I mistakenly referred to in the video below), is mostly petroleum distillates (MSDS).

You can watch this clip from my longer "really thorough wheel cleaning" video that shows the whole process.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Goof Off vs 3M Adhesive Remover vs Brake Cleaner for removing sticky stuff

Good info!! I use primarily Goof Off and / or denatured alcohol (non-painted surfaces). The Goof Off works great on removing drops of tree sap from paint!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellow PNWer (Bellevue here)!

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know. Also, another option item to add is CarPro TarX. So far it has removed any adhesives I needed to remove. If it doesn't work the first time, usually a few more applications will do the trick. But in my experience, one time is all I need after a 2-3 min dwell time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bal View Post
    I took a look at the MSDS sheets for both
    Goof Off Pro Strength and
    3M Adhesive Remover.

They primarily contain acetone,
    xylene and ethylbenzene.

Goof Off also has methanol, whereas 3M
    has solvent naphtha. Seems like 3M might
    have a higher concentration of some of these.

Goo Gone, a similar product to Goof Off
    (and which I mistakenly referred to in the
    video below), is mostly petroleum distillates (MSDS).

Manufacturers can be very creative in
    their product labeling: a person can
    easily come across solvents that have
    several different synonyms.

For example:
    Aren't Toluene, Naptha, and Xylene (to list
    just a few) petroleum distillates?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

What about mineral spirits? They can cut through adhesive residue pretty darn quick!

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    What about mineral spirits?
    They can cut through adhesive
    residue pretty darn quick!
    •Another widely-used petroleum distillate;
    -has a slower evaporation rate
    than some other solvents.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

3M citrus cleaner or WD-40 will get it off as well

Post Thanks / Like

I've had good results using goof off gel being it's thicker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post

Manufacturers can be very creative in
    their product labeling: a person can
    easily come across solvents that have
    several different synonyms.

For example:
    Aren't Toluene, Naptha, and Xylene (to list
    just a few) petroleum distillates?

Bob
    Yes definitively all from the same source. Not sure if one is more effective than another. Also quite flammable!
    Found this helpful? Please like this post.
    Watch my various detailing videos.
    Follow me on Twitter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast