autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dang you Mike Phillips

I've been watching all these videos lately and I said I wasn't gonna buy one to start but I've changed my mind. I'm gonna go with the 7424 and a combination of pads. Most people seem to say you need at least two pads of each to start. I've already got people wanting me to remove swirls and water spots but I don't have a polisher or experience. So hence I need a DA and some practice. I've got 3 cars so that'll be my training, lol.
    I guess my question is which package is a good fit for me starting out? I need pads, polish & of course the 7424. Help me find one on here to remove swirls and water spots since I see that being my money maker.
    I was Dang-ing Mike cause I keep watching his videos and my wallet keeps coming out!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dang you Mike Phillips

I would get at least 3 of each color pads your going to use. I would recommend Menzerna FG 400 for your compound and Optimum a Hyper Polish for a polish. For pads I would go with 5.5 inch LC flat pads or maybe some some of the newer thinner pads that have come out recently. The thinner pads seem to perform better on the 7424.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the packages lets you choose your own LC pads I believe. I'm just not sure which ones to get.

Post Thanks / Like

I did and would recommend starting out with the GG6 instead. It will allow you more "room to grow" than the PC. It is slightly more powerful and LIFETIME warranty. Then get a 5" backing plate and some 5.5 pads. Lotsa pads as others have suggested.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

don't ask me how much I spent on AG last 3 months lol
    Please like my page

Jae @ ONYX Detail Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by choijw2 View Post
    don't ask me how much I spent on AG last 3 months lol
    I'm at about $7500

...Unless the Christmas sale is comparable to this one...
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FinishingTouchA View Post
    I'm at about $7500

...Unless the Christmas sale is comparable to this one...
    I'm at about 2500. And I'm only 4 months into starting my own business. I could've easily spent much more last week, but the funds weren't there. Probably a good thing!

Post Thanks / Like

The PC is great machine. Ultimate reliability, adequate power, and a nice, small shroud, should you ever desire to use 3, or 4" pads. I have the Flex 3401, a Rupes Duetto, and at this time tend to use the Porter Cable, or the Rupes more (but still use the PC more...). The poor Flex 3401 always gets put away...

I like the Meguiar's Ultimate trio. They were formulated to use by hand, or d/a application, where some of their other professional compounds were designed for rotary, and have a bit of a learning curve.

I know the trend as of late are for the thin pads, but I still enjoy my standard Buff and Shine, or Lake Country CCS pads.

My suggestion is to seriously consider the Meguiar's Ultimate line of Compound, Polish and "Wax" (it's really a synthetic polymer sealant), and the orange, white and grey Lake country pads. Flat, CCS, and I believe their new Thin Pro have similar foam compositions across those particular series per respective color.

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered my first polisher this past weekend and I went with the GG6 HD, LC 5" backing plate, LC thinpro pads 5.5" (4 orange & 2 white), and 3D HD Speed

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JamMaster Jay View Post

I've been watching all these videos lately and I said I wasn't gonna buy one to start but I've changed my mind. I'm gonna go with the 7424 and a combination of pads.
    Most people agree when it comes to an entry level DA polisher the Griot's Garage 6" DA Polisher is the best way to go. I don't disagree.

For what it's worth... when I need what I call a simple or entry level DA Polisher I grab the Porter Cable 7424XP. For what I use this polisher for it works perfect. If I need more power then I don't "wish" the Porter Cable brand had more power I simply use a different tool.

I do some wet work once in a while and this is one of the reasons I like the PC brand.

Wet work = Machine wetsanding or machine scrubbing.

Most people seem to say you need at least two pads of each to start. I've already got people wanting me to remove swirls and water spots but I don't have a polisher or experience. So hence I need a DA and some practice. I've got 3 cars so that'll be my training, lol.
    Perfect. Start by learning on cars for friends and family.

I guess my question is which package is a good fit for me starting out? I need pads, polish & of course the 7424. Help me find one on here to remove swirls and water spots since I see that being my money maker.

I was Dang-ing Mike cause I keep watching his videos and my wallet keeps coming out!
    Here's the deal... I've never and I mean NEVER seen anyone regret moving from working by hand to working by machine when starting out with a simple dual action polisher.

I'm sure you'll agree after your first car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast