autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't figure out how to use my 7424

I bought a Porter Cable 7424 to help reduce my detailing time from 5-6 hours to 2-3 hours. It seemed feasible after watching all the videos and reading a few tutorials that I would be able to save a lot of time by not applying polish and wax manually.

I use P21S Concours Carnauba Wax with Chemical Guys Hex Logic polish/finishing pads. I apply a little bit of wax to my pad and start using it. My problem is the wax never goes away and always looks as if it has just been applied and needs to be manually wiped off. In nearly every video I watch, they do not have to do this. I've tried reducing the amount of wax I use (which isn't much to begin with) and I've also increased the amount of area I do at a time but I can't get that clean look. What am I doing wrong? This wax is top of the line and I've tried others - all have the same issue. I also have this issue with polish. What gives?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I can't figure out how to use my 7424

You must wipe away wax, compound, polish, glaze, sealant... whatever... residue with a microfiber towel after using the porter cable to work the product on the paint.

Retired Professional Detailer

Mike Phillips

Re: I can't figure out how to use my 7424

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post

In nearly every video I watch, they do not have to do this.
    In all my videos using the PC I show wiping the thin wax film off by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post

I've tried reducing the amount of wax I use (which isn't much to begin with) and I've also increased the amount of area I do at a time but I can't get that clean look. What am I doing wrong?

This wax is top of the line and I've tried others - all have the same issue. I also have this issue with polish. What gives?
    When polishing don't try to buff to a dry buff as you risk micro-marring because you run out of lubrication. Plus you have all the residue from the polish on the face of the pad and any paint that was removed on the face of the pad and you don't want to grind these two substances into the paint.

Also wiping a product off wet makes it easier than wiping it off dry.

As for applying and removing non-cleaning waxes like the P21S Concours Carnauba Wax you apply a thin coat using the 5 speed setting then after it dries to a haze wipe it off.

Get this.... shows you everything you need to know to use Porter Cable 7424XP or any of the versions of the PC.

How to Properly Use the Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher Updated!