autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

More cut from 7424XP

Here is my dilemma... I own a white 2013 VW GTI. There are some scratches in the clear that nothing would touch the last time I dedicated a good bit of time to polishing the car. I tried Lake Country Yellow cutting pads with Optimum's spray compound, 3M compound, and Chemical Guys V32. For giggles, I worked a test spot for nearly 20 minutes, and noticed no significant difference between it and the untouched area next to it. I even repeated the process on the front door, and noticed no significant difference when compared to the rear door.

The common consensus when asking others what to do is that I either need to switch to microfiber cutting pads OR or move to the Flex XC3401 if I want to stick with foam pads. It would appear that my VW has a super hard clear coat that makes it tough for the Porter Cable and foam pads to level out.

One of my friends even suggested that I keep the Porter Cable and just get a rotary to cut with. The only down side is if I maintain the car after correcting it with a rotary, I'll probably never need the rotary again.

Naturally, trying microfiber cutting pads next would be the simple solution. My only dilemma with doing so is if the scratches and minor etchings don't come out again, it will have been yet another waste of time, money, and effort.

I had my hands on a friend's Flex, and I hate to say it, but I like the ergonomics and layout of it way better than the Porter Cable. My dilemma here is do I really need to spend another $400 just to make use of the Lake Country foam pads that I have on hand and will it really be that much better than the Porter Cable 7424XP with microfiber cutting pads?

Lastly, I'm on the fence about a true rotary. While I have used them in the past, I have been known to let my mind drift every now and again while polishing my car versus paying complete attention to someone else's. Because of that reason, I'm hesitant to purchase a rotary for my own vehicle because I'm just a hobbyist detailer and do not do this for a living.

Mike Phillips

Re: More cut from 7424XP

The most aggressive foam cutting pad I know of for the PC would be the Meguiar's maroon foam cutting discs.

Get these,

Meguiars 5 Inch DA Foam Discs

Read through this thread because this car was hammered with swirls....

NEW! Meguiar’s Foam Buffing Discs

And whatever these discs and a quality compound don't remove you might want to consider living with if the car is a daily driver.

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest trying the MF cutting pads, much less expensive!
    On my son's pewter colored Civic, I tried the most aggressive foam pad I had (LC yellow), but could not remove the swirls. A few month's later I picked up the Meg's DA Microfiber system. I used the cutting pad with 2 dots of D300 and 1 dot of M105. It not only removed the swirls, it finished down so nice it did not an 2nd step! (I did try following it with M205, but could not see the difference).

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post
    I would suggest trying the MF cutting pads, much less expensive!
    On my son's pewter colored Civic, I tried the most aggressive foam pad I had (LC yellow), but could not remove the swirls. A few month's later I picked up the Meg's DA Microfiber system. I used the cutting pad with 2 dots of D300 and 1 dot of M105. It not only removed the swirls, it finished down so nice it did not an 2nd step! (I did try following it with M205, but could not see the difference).
    I'm leaning towards the microfiber route. I know I would have no problems selling the Porter Cable, but, it does seem easier to get into the nooks and crannies of my compact car compared to the Flex, which would be a little larger and more cumbersome to work with. After all, I did get rid of a 10" random orbit buffer with a whole bunch of microfiber bonnets because it was too large and cumbersome to use on this little car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB2 View Post
    Here is my dilemma... I own a white 2013 VW GTI. There are some scratches in the clear that nothing would touch the last time I dedicated a good bit of time to polishing the car. I tried Lake Country Yellow cutting pads with Optimum's spray compound, 3M compound, and Chemical Guys V32. For giggles, I worked a test spot for nearly 20 minutes, and noticed no significant difference between it and the untouched area next to it. I even repeated the process on the front door, and noticed no significant difference when compared to the rear door.

The common consensus when asking others what to do is that I either need to switch to microfiber cutting pads OR or move to the Flex XC3401 if I want to stick with foam pads. It would appear that my VW has a super hard clear coat that makes it tough for the Porter Cable and foam pads to level out.

One of my friends even suggested that I keep the Porter Cable and just get a rotary to cut with. The only down side is if I maintain the car after correcting it with a rotary, I'll probably never need the rotary again.

Naturally, trying microfiber cutting pads next would be the simple solution. My only dilemma with doing so is if the scratches and minor etchings don't come out again, it will have been yet another waste of time, money, and effort.

I had my hands on a friend's Flex, and I hate to say it, but I like the ergonomics and layout of it way better than the Porter Cable. My dilemma here is do I really need to spend another $400 just to make use of the Lake Country foam pads that I have on hand and will it really be that much better than the Porter Cable 7424XP with microfiber cutting pads?

Lastly, I'm on the fence about a true rotary. While I have used them in the past, I have been known to let my mind drift every now and again while polishing my car versus paying complete attention to someone else's. Because of that reason, I'm hesitant to purchase a rotary for my own vehicle because I'm just a hobbyist detailer and do not do this for a living.
    Microfiber disks respond very well on the Porter Cable, but I wouldn't say that they would always level a scratch to perfection very quickly. They do, however, work very well in removing swirls and bringing paint back to life, providing you use the system correctly. This means: properly priming the pad, using proper machine and arm speed, and keeping the pad clean by blowing them out with compressed air.

If your goal is to remove a few scratches or defects quickly, then in the hands of an experienced user, the rotary will do the job a bit more efficiently. The Porter Cable and the Flex makes things much safer for users.

I love the Flex, but we polish many cars a week and can justify its expense. It certainly makes sense for us to use it. If you are a weekend enthusiast there is no doubt you can achieve similar results using a PC as a Flex or rotary, but it just takes a little more time.

My recommendation is to try a microfiber disk. They are certainly more cost effective than buying a new machine. Then read about how to use microfiber disks properly and then give it a whirl. I think you will see a difference in your results when cutting with a microfiber than you will with a foam pad on a PC. If you wish to refine your work a bit more, you can always follow up with a foam polishing pad on the PC. If you like the results, then you have achieved your success. You've also saved money on buying a new machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Griot's FAST CUT MF PADS.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering the exact same thing, but I'm thinking of trying the CarPro Flash pads (I heard they have as much cut as MF but made of foam).

Why? Well, because I don't have a compressor to fluff up the MF pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4u2nvinmtl View Post
    I was wondering the exact same thing, but I'm thinking of trying the CarPro Flash pads (I heard they have as much cut as MF but made of foam).

I don't either, but wiping off with either a terry cloth, or microfiber towel does a great job cleaning them up between sections. I also use the pad conditioning brush.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    The most aggressive foam cutting pad I know of for the PC would be the Meguiar's maroon foam cutting discs.

Get these,

Meguiars 5 Inch DA Foam Discs

Read through this thread because this car was hammered with swirls....

NEW! Meguiar’s Foam Buffing Discs

And whatever these discs and a quality compound don't remove you might want to consider living with if the car is a daily driver.

These work great on the PC.

Quote Originally Posted by 4u2nvinmtl View Post
    Don't let this be the reason to not get them. Cleaning on the fly and a pad brush will work just as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Don't let this be the reason to not get them. Cleaning on the fly and a pad brush will work just as well.
    K I got a pad brush and everything else. I'm definitely going to pick up one of each (MF, Wool DA, and Flash pads) and see what works best for me. Might even make a comparison review for others on the fence...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast