autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Granite

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Granite

Any reason why I couldn't or shouldnt use my UDM on my granite countertops? Has anyone done this and is the process any different for polishing and waxing?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JF7FSU View Post
    Any reason why I couldn't or shouldnt use my UDM on my granite countertops? Has anyone done this and is the process any different for polishing and waxing?

Thanks!
    are you going to detail it???
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    hehe get a finessing pad...i dunno if granite has clear coat or some type of protectant on it...but get some sealant hehehe

take pics and then even show us the water beading on it!

Post Thanks / Like
    It would be ok to put a sealant on. If you want to polish it to get scratchs I don't think a paint polish or compound is going to do much on the very hard grainte. To polish granite you sould really use a wet polisher with diamound polishing pads made for stone. They make pads with various grit sizes of industrial diamonds embeded in the pads for the job. Here's one the I have.

If you had the pads you might be able to use them with a UDM and a 4" backing plate if it has enough power. The pads velcro on just like a normal polishing pad. You could use sponge and water to keep the granite wet on cool. My wet polisher has a hose attachment and water comes out the hole in the middle of the pad. To polish the stone you have to go through the various pad with the different grits. I have pads going from 60 to 8500 grit. They are some people selling the pads on ebay.

I usually put Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant on my granite. I usually just do it by hand but you could use your UDM.

Last edited by Gary Sword; 09-19-2007 at 07:30 AM.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess i can try to seal it up to make it look good. Thanks for the info about the hardness, I hadn't thought about that. Should I use a finishing pad or an Orange one to apply the sealant?
    Last edited by JF7FSU; 09-19-2007 at 07:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are specific cleaners ans sealants for granite, just stop by a Tile center to get them. Yes. you can use a polisher on low speed with no pressure applied.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zaxjax View Post
    There are specific cleaners ans sealants for granite, just stop by a Tile center to get them. Yes. you can use a polisher on low speed with no pressure applied.

They do make sealants for granite and I have tried a lot of different ones. I have yet to find one that works half as good as some of the automotive paint sealants.
    Last edited by Gary Sword; 09-24-2007 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Fix Typo

jmillican
    Check out the sealer at MB Stone. It has a life of 10 years so you don't have to re-seal it every year as you do with most of the other sealers. Most people don't realize it, but granite can stain and this product does a good job in this regard. It truly is the best on the market.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jmillican View Post
    Check out the sealer at MB Stone. It has a life of 10 years so you don't have to re-seal it every year as you do with most of the other sealers. Most people don't realize it, but granite can stain and this product does a good job in this regard. It truly is the best on the market.
    A lot of auto dealers also offer sealants they claim with last for years. The fact is no sealant will last that long. The sealer at MB Stone my be good but I honestly don't feel it will last even close to 10 years.

jmillican
    MB Stone sealer is not for cars but for stone--like granite, limestone and marble and I've had it on my kitchen for about 6 years now with no sign of a need to re-apply.
    Last edited by jmillican; 10-01-2007 at 12:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast