autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G110

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

G110

Hi Guys,

My DA buffer is the old G110, from Meguiars, I've managed to salvage some parts from Meguiars (they had an old one), would a more modern DA be significantly better?

Currently I'm liking the Griot's DA the one that costs about 175.00. Thoughts on other models appreciated

Note: Last detail I did, involved 6 dances with the G110 (polish > glaze > sealant >wax), the buffer gets pretty heavy, after awhile. 5.5 lbs. I'm 66, & not ready, to pay someone else, to detail. It's still fun, but the old G110 can get heavy, & changing speeds, is a little awkward.

Thanks
    Rico

Post Thanks / Like

Re: G110

Even my da gets heavy on vertical panels. I know to stop for a minute when it does

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Ricorocks View Post
    Hi Guys,

My DA buffer is the old G110, from Meguiars, I've managed to salvage some parts from Meguiars (they had an old one), would a more modern DA be significantly better?

Currently I'm liking the Griot's DA the one that costs about 175.00. Thoughts on other models appreciated

Note: Last detail I did, involved 6 dances with the G110 (polish > glaze > sealant >wax), the buffer gets pretty heavy, after awhile. 5.5 lbs. I'm 66, & not ready, to pay someone else, to detail. It's still fun, but the old G110 can get heavy, & changing speeds, is a little awkward.

Thanks
    Rico

I've buffed out thousands of cars with the original G100 which was simply a Porter Cable 7424 with a Meguiar's sticker on it.

I just taught a three day class and the first two cars we used for training were,

2004 Corvette
    2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK350

The Vette had swirls, scratches and water spots. Paint was rock hard but we achieved 95% correction. SLK350 only had light swirls and scratches. It has a Ceramiclear finish and we achieved 99.9 percent correction.

So the Porter Cable is a very capable tool.

We also used it for

• The Glass Polishing Class
    • The Hot Water Extractor Class
    • The Aggressive Method for washing a car for both scrubbing tires and scrubbing plastic cladding on a Chevy Avalanche.
    • The Machine Wetsanding Class

So a very capable too.

The Griot's 6" DA Polisher is the Griot's version of a Porter Cable polisher and just as capable as the PC and actually has more power. Most people in the forum world prefer the Griot's to the PC.

The PC weighs around 5 pounds. All of the other tools weigh in at 5 pounds or more so there's really no tool option that's lighter than 5 pounds.

If all you're detailing are you're own cars then I'd recommend going with the Griot's Garage 6" DA Polisher and get a 5" backing plate and then get 5.5" foam pads.

Meguiar's 5.5" thin foam discs
    Lake Country 5.5" foam flat pads
    B&S 5.5" foam flat pads

The above plus good compounds, polishes and waxes can turn out show car finishes no problemo.

I understand that not everyone is able to attend one of my 3-day detailing classes but for what it's worth you get to use all the tools you see and read about.

January 3-day detailing class - January 22nd, 23rd and 24th 2016

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys!

More than a minute rest for me on those vertical panels. Need to start lifting weights

So btwn the two machines no discernible diff. in outcome. Boils down to comfort, ease of use, & how quickly the can job is done. The advantage most likely goes to the newer machines.

Thanks

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Fortunately, the G110 is no longer sold by Meguiars. The plastic exterior of my polisher is decomposing and turning into a sticky goo. I called Meguiars and was told that's "normal plastic decomposition" (?????)and they are not willing to replace it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mshamburg View Post
    Fortunately, the G110 is no longer sold by Meguiars. The plastic exterior of my polisher is decomposing and turning into a sticky goo. I called Meguiars and was told that's "normal plastic decomposition" (?????)and they are not willing to replace it.
    How do you expect Meguiars to replace it, I think they haven't made the G110 since 2010

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wishful thinking, I guess. I only use it for my cars and my daughter's and grandson's car, so it's not used much, especially when compared to a professional detailer.

I found a comment online indicating that the stuff that turned sticky is probably a fake rubber coating that was sprayed onto the plastic, and I might be able to remove it with Goo Gone, rubbing alcohol and a lot of elbow grease. I'll try that before buying a new one.

Mike Phillips

They introduced the MT300 at least 3 years ago... maybe longer...

I found a comment online indicating that the stuff that turned sticky is probably a fake rubber coating that was sprayed onto the plastic, and I might be able to remove it with Goo Gone, rubbing alcohol and a lot of elbow grease.

I'll try that before buying a new one.

I think the black rubberized surface was a coating of some sort to make it easy to grip plus make it look cool, (make it look black along with a lot of Meguiar's color schemes). I forget the name of the coating.

I'd try wiping it with a wet wash cloth using only soap and water, like even hand soap. Sometimes the simplest things work best.

Introducing any type of solvent to this surface could just make it worse.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Mike. It's good to hear from you. I actually bought that G110 at the Meguiars headquarters when I attended a detailing class you conducted for the Mercedes Benz Club of San Diego.

Post Thanks / Like

purchase the GG6 and you won't have to buy another again. one person (can't remember if he was a member on here) had a GG6 and his parrot chewed up the cord and GG still replaced it lol...

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast