autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Friend's car vandalised. Can this be corrected without a repaint?

So my friend got his car vandalised pretty bad (he had it coming, IMHO) regardless he's a friend and I wanted to help him out.

The entire car was spray painted red and scratched/carved it up.

I tried correcting the scratches with my PC-7424xp using blue/cyan Hydro Tech pads, with M101. I was able to quickly remove the red spray paint and correct the swirls & RIDS, but not the scratches...

I assume he needs a repaint.

Other than a body shop any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm currently leaning towards touch up paint or just clear to fill the scratches in (perfection isn't the goal, just some kind of improvement).

I rushed to clay before taking pictures:

Close up of the area I wanted to start on:

Big scratch on hood I also tried to tackle:

Front fender scratch:

Drivers door scratch:

Rear passenger door driver’s side scratch:

First pass with M101 on speed 6 (red paint gone, some still in right scratch):

First pass wiped down:

Two more passes on the big scratch:

4-5 passes over the “Thief” scratch:

Close up’s:

Red paint on the plate:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Friend's car vandalised. Can this be corrected without a repaint?

Certainly looks a lot better.... do I want to know what he did to have his car spray painted and scratched to hell? Damn!
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

The power went out and he stole some bottles from behind the bar, they figured out it was him and took it out on his car. Like I said I feel he had it coming.

Post Thanks / Like

for your friend's sake, I would post no more details of the legal implications.

I'd get a wool or foamed wool pad and go over it with that to see where you stand.

Cutting foam pads are great, but they simply don't cut like (foamed) wool. Richy talks about some TB black wool pads that he raves about on a Flex. Might want to get with him. Even if you did burn through, it's not like it'll matter if a repaint is the only course. They might help you clear some of that red spray paint out of the bad scratches.

After that, see what a heavy glaze might be able to hide. Poor boys black hole or white diamond might improve it enough to where he won't care. Hard to tell the exact share of gray by the flash photography. Black hole is good for darker grays, white diamond for lighter shades.

Last thing he wants to do is have it look too nice and the perpetrators take more drastic action.

Post Thanks / Like

Insurance job...

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing to add constructive but BWWWWWWWWWAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH BWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH. I would have figured it to be an Ex GF job! wow.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aim4squirrels View Post
    for your friend's sake, I would post no more details of the legal implications.

I'd get a wool or foamed wool pad and go over it with that to see where you stand.

Cutting foam pads are great, but they simply don't cut like (foamed) wool. Richy talks about some TB black wool pads that he raves about on a Flex. Might want to get with him. Even if you did burn through, it's not like it'll matter if a repaint is the only course. They might help you clear some of that red spray paint out of the bad scratches.

After that, see what a heavy glaze might be able to hide. Poor boys black hole or white diamond might improve it enough to where he won't care. Hard to tell the exact share of gray by the flash photography. Black hole is good for darker grays, white diamond for lighter shades.

Last thing he wants to do is have it look too nice and the perpetrators take more drastic action.
    IDK about wool pads on my PC, but I'll borrow something more powerful from my detailer friend and go at it again. He's not going to repaint if I can't fix it so if I burn trough the clear it might make things worse.

I finished it off with some CG EZ cream glaze and topped it with some paste wax late last night. That really filled in the scratches, but the light still catches on some angles.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4u2nvinmtl View Post
    The power went out and he stole some bottles from behind the bar, they figured out it was him and took it out on his car. Like I said I feel he had it coming.
    Karma is a ----- and payback is ----.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL