autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Problems with PC 7424XP

I would take it apart and maybe regrease it

Mike Phillips

Just a thought...

When you don't have the compression washer in place the tool sounds like it has rocks growling around inside of it because the rivets on the backing plate rub against the counterweight.

Here's one article I have on this topic with great pictures to show you what happens without the compression washer.

Don't use your polisher without it!

Just to note... it's real easy for the compression washer to fall off when attaching the backing plate to the tool. Since the PC doesn't come with a backing plate often times the compression washer will fall off when the new use attaches the backing plate for the first time.

To the OP: Remove the backing plate using the PC wrench and check to see if you have the compression washer in place.

Mike Phillips

Here's two more related articles....

The Compression Washer

The common Compression Washer used with popular DA Polishers is about the size of a U.S. Quarter.

Tip: Rubber Nut to protect threads and safeguard compression washer

And they do wear out....

Autogeek carries replacements...

Lake Country Compression Washers 5-Pack

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for the comments and the assistance from the forum. Everyone has always been a huge help and I do appreciate the community.

I have always used the proper compression washers on the backing plate and confirmed that a nearly new washer was installed during the recent use.

I just got a call from the repair facility and they said that the gears are worn out and that it would be considered and "out of warranty" repair for $85. I told them forget it.

Tools do wear out prematurely and sometimes as a consumer you might be in the minority. It appears that I am in this case as a majority of people have successfully used their machines for years. At the end of the day, even with 10 corrections under my belt, it comes to about $12 per use which is still substantially less expensive than paying someone else to do the work, so I am

Now I have a conundrum: as a guy just trying to keep his family's cars looking good, is a replacement 7424XP sufficient or do I go big and purchase Flex?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastTbird View Post
    Now I have a conundrum: as a guy just trying to keep his family's cars looking good, is a replacement 7424XP sufficient or do I go big and purchase Flex?
    IMO every detailer/enthusiast should have at least one traditional PC-style DA and with that said I would recommend the GG6 (this will suit the bill perfectly if you're just keeping the families cars looking good). lots of power/torque, great warranty, and excellent customer service...

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    IMO every detailer/enthusiast should have at least one traditional PC-style DA and with that said I would recommend the GG6 (this will suit the bill perfectly if you're just keeping the families cars looking good). lots of power/torque, great warranty, and excellent customer service...

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher

Another more affordable option is the harbor freight DA for $50. Just repack it with new grease and it'll last at least 12 corrections

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastTbird View Post
    Thanks again for the comments and the assistance from the forum. Everyone has always been a huge help and I do appreciate the community.

I have always used the proper compression washers on the backing plate and confirmed that a nearly new washer was installed during the recent use.

I just got a call from the repair facility and they said that the gears are worn out and that it would be considered and "out of warranty" repair for $85. I told them forget it.

Tools do wear out prematurely and sometimes as a consumer you might be in the minority. It appears that I am in this case as a majority of people have successfully used their machines for years. At the end of the day, even with 10 corrections under my belt, it comes to about $12 per use which is still substantially less expensive than paying someone else to do the work, so I am

Did they say what caused the gears to wear out so quickly? Lack of grease perhaps? Seems ridiculous to claim the tool is "worn out" after so few uses. There had to be some defect/problem to cause the gears to wear so quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. It shouldn't have worn those gears out. Especially for recreational use. Have you gotten it back yet to look at the gears?
    Mike Honcho

Post Thanks / Like

As long as the subject of grease has come up...any idea what the recommended grease is would be?

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to pickup the PC tomorrow and I will report back as to what is being considered "worn out gears."

I am still going to follow-up with Porter Cable service to push for warranty coverage.

In the meantime I have ordered a GG6!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12