autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Brand new 2015 Jeep Compass which pads and products?

Hi guys,

I am new to detailing with a da polisher. I have been watching a lot of videos here though. I am looking for recommendations on which pads and products I should purchased for use on a brand new 2015 jeep Compass. A lot of the kits I have looked at have pads and products that I probably will not need on a brand new vehicle. For example multiple cutting pads and cutting compounds etc. The paint is a billet silver color if that matters for what products will make it look best. The paint does not have any chips or harsh imperfections. There is a few very very light scratches or swirls from when the dealership washed and dryed it on the hood. What pads/size would you guys recommend for use on this new vehicle? How many of each pad should I purchase? Also what compounds or polished should I purchase? I have read many use mcguires ultimate. Should I use that or something else?

Thanks,
    Rocky

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brand new 2015 Jeep Compass which pads and products?

Welcome.
    What kind of DA do you have? If the paint is in good condition, you may just need a good decontamination wash, clay and AIO. Most will say "do a test spot". It would helpful to post pics of the defects.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the welcome and quick reply. I am thinking about purchasing a 7424XP. I tried to take some pics of the fine scratches but it is hard to see them unless you catch it just right in the sun. So they are very very light like I said in my first post. Therefore, only very light polishing will be required. That's why I am looking for products and pads that will remove light imperfections like this but won't overcut the paint. Plus I am sure I will get a few more light scratches through my learning process and would like the ability to fix them as they prevent themselves. I am thinking I will probably just need some pads for polishing and finishing pads. I do not really understand all the different colors of pads that's why I'm looking for recommendations on which to get for the porter cable for new paint and a polish for very light imperfections.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd recommend 2 pad sizes with respective backing plates. 5.5" polishing pads and 3 or 4" polishing pads. I'd say a good initial decontamination using Iron-X should be done first then use a fine clay bar after that, then polish the paint with a finishing polish like Menzerna SF 4500 and follow that with the sealant, wax or coating of your choice.

You may want a light cutting pad into the future to take care of any defects that should arise. Forget about the colors of the pads. Read the descriptions and choose a polishing pad for the polishing and if you want to use your machine to apply waxes or sealants then you could get a finishing / waxing pad or 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Read some reviews on DAs. I have 7424XP but if I had to do it over again, I would get the GG6..more power, still safe and lifetime warranty.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your help fellas I really appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 7424XP, and if I had to do it all over again, I would still get the 7424XP. I have never had a problem with it not having enough power. Technique is whats important.

As far as recommendations, I would go with a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads. Flat pads work best. Lake Country flat or hydrotech pads. Pick any of the trios sold by autogeek, Wolfgang, Pinnacle. Blackfire...you wont be dissapointed with any of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    I'd recommend 2 pad sizes with respective backing plates. 5.5" polishing pads and 3 or 4" polishing pads. I'd say a good initial decontamination using Iron-X should be done first then use a fine clay bar after that, then polish the paint with a finishing polish like Menzerna SF 4500 and follow that with the sealant, wax or coating of your choice.

You may want a light cutting pad into the future to take care of any defects that should arise. Forget about the colors of the pads. Read the descriptions and choose a polishing pad for the polishing and if you want to use your machine to apply waxes or sealants then you could get a finishing / waxing pad or
    +1 You may discover more/deeper swirls once you have thouroghly decon'd your paint. Also I'd recommend the GG6 just for the fact that you get a lifetime warranty for like an extra $20 bucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
    I have a 7424XP, and if I had to do it all over again, I would still get the 7424XP. I have never had a problem with it not having enough power. Technique is whats important.

As far as recommendations, I would go with a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads. Flat pads work best. Lake Country flat or hydrotech pads. Pick any of the trios sold by autogeek, Wolfgang, Pinnacle. Blackfire...you wont be dissapointed with any of them.
    I agree. Even with a Flex 3401, and a Duetto on the rack, the 7424xp sees the most time.

If ever have any really bad paints, I bring out the Microfiber discs (Rupes in particular).

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend the new Meguiar's foam discs. They really utilize the PC's power more efficiently than the flat pads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast