autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Pc 7335 & 7336

Post Thanks / Like

Pc 7335 & 7336

First post,hope I got it right.I just inherited one of each of these units.Ive always been a rotary buffer guy & used a old style orbital to apply the wax. From what Ive read,these units are a better way to go.Question is,would I be better off spending the money to put new backing pads on these 2 units or just upgrade to one of the Flex machines and get rid of the PC units?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pc 7335 & 7336

It's going to be a lot cheaper to put new backing plates on those machines than buy a Flex.

What exactly are you trying to achieve with these, just replacing your "old style orbital" for applying wax? Or do you want to do correction with them instead of your rotary? The Flex is rotary-like, but it's a different animal than either your rotary or the PC's.

Post Thanks / Like

Refurbishing those machines, if it can be done for only the new backing plate and possibly the lighter counterweight for the 7336, would not be a bad idea at all. You likely could refine the finish of your rotary work on the last polishing step. Use the absolute thinnest flat foam pads you can find, keep it at 5" pad size or smaller and you've got a good little machine on your hands.

I have one, and a flex as well, I typically grab the 7336 for applying waxes and sealants as it's a very light machine to hold and move across the surfaces, but when it was the only thing I had, it still got the job done.

Post Thanks / Like

If money is no issue, get a Flex 3401 and use the PCs to apply wax, or give them some other dedictated use, i.e. small BP used for tight areas, etc.
    The Flex is very, very nice...

Post Thanks / Like

The PCs were given to me so even with new backing pads & getting several different foam pads,I'm Still ahead of the game.My old 10" orbital may not have much life left,it owes me nothing.I used it for applying wax or polish and usually remove by hand.I use my makita rotary on the boat with the wool pads and apply the polish with the orbital.The orbital bogs down easily so it isn't good for much more than applying the polish.This is where i'm think these PCs might come in to play.From what i'm reading,I can use the PCs to do the same thing as the old orbital but are more versatile by using the different pads and wont bog down so much.I'm think putting the PCs to use & if I like what they do,I may upgrade to the Flex down the road.
    Last edited by Whitewater25; 02-17-2015 at 09:50 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

A 10" orbital doesn't do much polishing at all, if we're defining polishing as removing defects by abrasion of paint/gelcoat. Most on this forum don't use the term polish in the generic sense like using a wax to "polish" a car. If you aren't removing some form of material, you aren't polishing.

Those machines are good product spreaders, they just don't have the umph to correct the defects.

The PC actually can be used to refine paint with an abrasive polish.

Post Thanks / Like

For how low of a cost it would be to get the 7336 going, it would be a great place to start. It is a solid machine and can get you going on DA correction. They apply waxes and sealants just fine. They may not be king of the roost anymore but will erase rotary holograms, and do general correction work.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd take those units to your nearest P-C service center (most ACE Hardware stores) and have new brushes installed and have the gearhead cleaned and lubed. Have the power cord checked along with the speed switch and they should last for years. These models may be old but most were built in the US and are very durable with occasional maintenance. I still have a 7336 (1995 vintage) running and it works well with the microfiber pads. Finishing foam pads work pretty well for jeweling too. Same results as a FLEX but it takes a bit longer.