autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

PC Recommended When No Restoration Needed?

Bought a new truck in August and have been taking good care of it with primarily Pinnacle products (I use Wolfgang's Deep Gloss as well). So, it is new paint in great condition. Is there much benefit to purchasing a Porter Cable for use of cleaner, sealer and wax?

I have been doing it by hand which isn't that difficult.

Is the mechanical work of the PC more effective at cleaning and applying sealer and wax? Or is it merely a convenience for that type of work? I hope to keep the paint in good shape and not need any restoration.....at least for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PC Recommended When No Restoration Needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    Bought a new truck in August and have been taking good care of it with primarily Pinnacle products (I use Wolfgang's Deep Gloss as well). So, it is new paint in great condition. Is there much benefit to purchasing a Porter Cable for use of cleaner, sealer and wax?

I have been doing it by hand which isn't that difficult.

Is the mechanical work of the PC more effective at cleaning and applying sealer and wax? Or is it merely a convenience for that type of work? I hope to keep the paint in good shape and not need any restoration.....at least for a long time.
    welp, personally i don't use any lsp that is applied with a machine, haven't for years. i use either spray wax, wowa sealant or coatings. but lots of people do us a da for exactly what you're asking about and do it in the interest of speed.

i do use a da for Poli-Seal application (an aio) though. which i guess you could consider a sort of cleaner. put it this way - having a machine is the difference between me doing it or me NOT doing it!

regardless, a da is invaluable for speeding up a lot of processes across the board and also allows you to reliably correct accidents that can happen. if you aren't using coatings, it's likely that you will eventually have bird doo etching. coatings or not, maybe some random scratches, paint transfer...all sorts of things can happen even if your car is new and in satisfactory condition.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

With the limited use the HF machine may be a better way to go. I think it's definitely worth the investment. A machine makes it easier to get a nice thin even coat of wax/sealant and is going to be more effective at cleaning the paint. There will come a time your going to want to polish the paint regardless of how careful you are, unless you only plan on keeping the vehicle a couple years.The HF machine actually has a little more power than the PC. I have a PC and it's been a great macine. It could definitely use a little more power. The GG machine also has more power and a lifetime warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

like others have said you will want to get a PC type device for a couple of reasons. a paint cleaner will be a good idea even though your car is new. sooner or later you will want to use a mild polish for marring , swirls , bird bombs, acid rain etc. even if you do not use the machine to apply lsp you can use it for removal as long as you have a clean work area ( aka nothing outside with dirt flying around ) and a clean microfiber bonnet. you can also polish and headlight, tailights chrome bumpers