autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommend Pads and backing plate for 7424(non-XP)

Quote Originally Posted by Rmd View Post
    I would stay away from the Meg's MF correction system on a 7424. I tried that approach when my only polisher was a 7424, and the machine wasn't up to the task of spinning the pads. I bought a GG6 after that and the Meg's MF system worked well for me. I use my 7424 with a 3.5 backplate and 4" pads now, and it's ok for that.
    Could not disagree more

The Megs DAMF pads are perfectly suited for the lower torque of the PC

If you have poor technique and do not keep the pad flat to the paint, it will bog down

Mark your backing plate, to make sure it is not stalling out

I suggest machine speed of 5-6 with a PC for all pad sizes. Be careful with 3-4" pads at these higher speeds...if you don't keep the machine planted to the paint; they will go flying

I agree that there is very little that can't be polished with a 4" pad, but I do have the Megs DAMF 3" cutting and they cut very well on the PC

Resist the temptation to use a rotary BP with DA pads. Eventually, you will burn up the pad, backing plate or both

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Resist the temptation to use a rotary BP with DA pads. Eventually, you will burn up the pad, backing plate or both
    i do not like to use a rotary backing plate with a DA screw with use on the DA. IME the backing plate becomes loose from the screw and i don't feel comfortable for fear of damaging the paint if it comes/flies off. the best thing to do but might be a little pricey is to get an exact-fit custom DA backing plate from (kevin) buff daddy. he can make just about anything...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    i do not like to use a rotary backing plate with a DA screw with use on the DA. IME the backing plate becomes loose from the screw and i don't feel comfortable for fear of damaging the paint if it comes/flies off. the best thing to do but might be a little pricey is to get an exact-fit custom DA backing plate from (kevin) buff daddy. he can make just about anything...
    i put red thread lock on a thread or two of my adapter. i never had any issues but just looking at it when i first got the parts, it seemed like a possibility so i eventually got paranoid enough to use thread lock. i have had the plate long enough that AG doesn't even sell it anymore and it hasn't yet come loose. i had to take it apart only once to actually use on my rotary for a particularly challenging headlamp project and didn't have much of an issue, but i did reapply the thread lock when it went back to DA duty.

regardless, it looks like LC makes more than enough sizes at this point where you can just get a DA plate for anything.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Could not disagree more

If you have poor technique and do not keep the pad flat to the paint, it will bog down

Mark your backing plate, to make sure it is not stalling out

I suggest machine speed of 5-6 with a PC for all pad sizes. Be careful with 3-4" pads at these higher speeds...if you don't keep the machine planted to the paint; they will go flying

I agree that there is very little that can't be polished with a 4" pad, but I do have the Megs DAMF 3" cutting and they cut very well on the PC

+1

It was my understanding that system was specifically designed to use with that style machine. I never have issues spinning Rupes Microfiber pads, or Lake Country thin foamed wool on the pc.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    +1

It was my understanding that system was specifically designed to use with that style machine. I never have issues spinning Rupes Microfiber pads, or Lake Country thin foamed wool on the pc.
    You are correct, Sir

Post Thanks / Like

Thin pads is what you want to go with using the PC

Post Thanks / Like

Will the wool cut deeper than the yellow?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Could not disagree more

Kyle - do you prefer to use your 1st gen 7424 when using the 5" or 6" DAMF pads as opposed to a PCXP or Griot's? I forget which other polishers you brought to the last SoCal meetup.

Honest question. Not trying to start a debate on your above quote. My experience has been different.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rmd View Post
    Kyle - do you prefer to use your 1st gen 7424 when using the 5" or 6" DAMF pads as opposed to a PCXP or Griot's? I forget which other polishers you brought to the last SoCal meetup.

Honest question. Not trying to start a debate on your above quote. My experience has been different.

Since I purchased the FLEX, I can't imagine compounding an entire car with a PC

That being said, we have both corrected plenty of deeper defects down at Meguiar's HQ using the Megs machine with DAMF, so we know it works, just a bit more slowly

If I had to compound with the PC, I would definitely go with the 5" Megs DAMF with D300 or M100

I love my PC with 3" & 4" pads, especially the 3" DAMF

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast