autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question on Counter Weight

Hi, does anyone know is the counter weight for the PC7424 and griot garage DA (das pro) interchangeable? One of my friend manage to break the counter weight on his das pro and is currently looking for replacement.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question on Counter Weight

Not kidding here.....have you tried Super Glue yet?

Does the DAS have two screws that hold the counter weight to the polisher?

Post some pictures, please

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dschia View Post
    Hi, does anyone know is the counter weight for the PC7424 and griot garage DA (das pro) interchangeable? One of my friend manage to break the counter weight on his das pro and is currently looking for replacement.

In my article here,

The Free Floating Spindle Bearing Assembly - The Story Behind The Story...

Where I explain what the drive mechanism is called, (specifically), and also share how the DA Polisher that we all know and love today started out as a Wood Sander.

In this article I have pictures of the spindles and counterweights for PC, Griot's and Meguiar's.

Here you go...

It looks quite possible that the bolt spread pattern for the Griot's and the PC are the same. That doesn't mean the counterweights will fit as there could be design differences in the fitment and shape.

And here's just a portion of the above article....

Frustration with clearcoat paints
    Now let me tie this back to why machine polishing has become so much more popular since clear coat paints were introduced.

As more and more cars being manufactured made their way into the market, as car owners, or in other words, do-it-yourselfers, would try the traditional methods of removing defects out of the paint, that is with traditional rubbing and polishing compounds, they would find that most of these products may remove defects but leave their own defects in the paint at the same time.

Not only that, but because generally speaking, modern clear coats are harder than single stage paints, the energy, time and skill required to actually remove defects out of clear coat paints increased dramatically, and in fact increased to the point that many people attempting to remove defects and restore a shine like their car had when they bought it brand new, left most people feeling frustrated and their cars no better off than when they started and often times worse.

Enter the Porter Cable DA Sander
    That's right, I said sander! The Porter Cable Dual Action Sander is the tool that became the Tipping Point that was the driving force behind the average person switching from working by hand to working by machine.

The Porter Cable Dual Action Sander with Wood Dust Collecting Attachment for Sanding Wood

Sanding the old finish off using a Porter Cable Dual Action Sander

The exact same tool only outfitted with a foam polishing pad for machine polishing automotive clear coat paints

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Not kidding here.....have you tried Super Glue yet?

Does the DAS have two screws that hold the counter weight to the polisher?

Post some pictures, please
    Hmm.. I can suggest that to my friend but honestly it just seems so unsafe doing so. Imagine all the heat generated from a DA; the motion; a piece of metal potential flying out anywhere.

Thanks Mike for the pic. The DAS is similar to the griot. On a side note, just want to say that buffing without a counter weight regardless on a 5 or 6 inch pad is awfully unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    In my article here,

The Free Floating Spindle Bearing Assembly - The Story Behind The Story...

Where I explain what the drive mechanism is called, (specifically), and also share how the DA Polisher that we all know and love today started out as a Wood Sander.

In this article I have pictures of the spindles and counterweights for PC, Griot's and Meguiar's.

Here you go...

It looks quite possible that the bolt spread pattern for the Griot's and the PC are the same. That doesn't mean the counterweights will fit as there could be design differences in the fitment and shape.

And here's just a portion of the above article....

Frustration with clearcoat paints
    Now let me tie this back to why machine polishing has become so much more popular since clear coat paints were introduced.

As more and more cars being manufactured made their way into the market, as car owners, or in other words, do-it-yourselfers, would try the traditional methods of removing defects out of the paint, that is with traditional rubbing and polishing compounds, they would find that most of these products may remove defects but leave their own defects in the paint at the same time.

Not only that, but because generally speaking, modern clear coats are harder than single stage paints, the energy, time and skill required to actually remove defects out of clear coat paints increased dramatically, and in fact increased to the point that many people attempting to remove defects and restore a shine like their car had when they bought it brand new, left most people feeling frustrated and their cars no better off than when they started and often times worse.

Enter the Porter Cable DA Sander
    That's right, I said sander! The Porter Cable Dual Action Sander is the tool that became the Tipping Point that was the driving force behind the average person switching from working by hand to working by machine.

The Porter Cable Dual Action Sander with Wood Dust Collecting Attachment for Sanding Wood

Sanding the old finish off using a Porter Cable Dual Action Sander

The exact same tool only outfitted with a foam polishing pad for machine polishing automotive clear coat paints

Thanks for the link Mike. I saw that thread before. In fact I ask because I saw from that thread that the counter weight on both PC and griot looks so similar. I just dont have both machine on hand to test.

Any kind soul who has both machine and willing to help.

Post Thanks / Like

Just checked for you. They're very similar and do inter change but are not exactly the same. The stock weight on the GG is 61 grams. The 6 inch weight for the PC 59 grams. The 5 inch weight for the PC is 49 grams

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

The discussion makes me wonder if i should modify the counterweight in my PC to reduce its weight since it is dedicated to 3-4" pads and Cyclo brushes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blkSRT View Post
    Just checked for you. They're very similar and do inter change but are not exactly the same. The stock weight on the GG is 61 grams. The 6 inch weight for the PC 59 grams. The 5 inch weight for the PC is 49 grams
    Thanks for going the extra mile to help!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blkSRT View Post
    6" to 5" on the PC is a 20% reduction in the weight of the counter weight

I wonder if it would be a good idea to reduce the counter weight another 20% to 39 grams if you are using 4" pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    6" to 5" on the PC is a 20% reduction in the weight of the counter weight

I wonder if it would be a good idea to reduce the counter weight another 20% to 39 grams if you are using 4" pads?
    In my opinion: No.

And from another thread wherein counterweights were discussed:
    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Does either the "dry/wet" weight of 3" foam buffing pads...and their companion backing plates...ever exceed the weight of either one of the PC's 5"/6" counterweights?

To me, in order to have a smoother operating PC7424, it would make more sense to leave the standard 5" counterweight for the smaller-sized foam pads/backing plates...and go to a more heavier (~75-80 grams) counterweight for larger-sized foam pads/backing plates.
    Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Wait, what? I've only ever used 5" BPs and pads on my PC. Am I to understand there are different counterweights available? How would I know which one I got?
    Francesco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast