autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me make the RIGHT decision!?!?!

Shadow - for a newbie this process can absolutely paralyze you, especially since there are now so many good products available on top of all the good advice on this forum.

I went through the exact same process as you years ago. I ended up with so many products as I was so excited about correcting paint and detailing cars. I am just an enthusiast so I don't do that many cars. I ended up giving many friend and relatives full blown corrections for free just to try my "stuff"! Now that I've been doing this a while the reality is that friend's DD's don't need a 4 step correction process. Usually D151 and a tangerine pad blows them away. OCD can really take over with this hobby!

Here's something that may help you. Perhaps you approach this on the cheap and buy the Harbor Freight DA, then buy a 5" and 3.5" backing plate. I can give you a few older 5.5" CCS pads to use to get you started. I am also pruning my products so I can give you some UC and UP. I also have some 105 and 205 you can use. I also have some other products I might be able to give you to get started. If you end up staying enthused with detailing then you can buy your Flex 3401 and use the HF DA for 4" pads or with scrub brushes.

I have a GG6 that serves me well. I also have an older PC7424 that I use for smaller pads and scrub brushing carpets. I've been thinking about a Flex but just only keep my DD's clean now and a few freebies on the side for relaxation so I'm not sure I really need one.

I'd let you borrow my GG6 but we've just entered the cooler season which means it's finally detailing season and I'm using it more to clean up my rides. But, you could come over ( not sure in AZ where you live ) and try the GG6, along with some of other products and pads I have in my arsenal.

If that's of interest to you just PM and we can work something out. My schedule is pretty tight these days but I can always make time for someone new getting into the hobby.

Good luck with your venture into detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wknd Dtlr View Post
    Shadow - for a newbie this process can absolutely paralyze you, especially since there are now so many good products available on top of all the good advice on this forum.

I went through the exact same process as you years ago. I ended up with so many products as I was so excited about correcting paint and detailing cars. I am just an enthusiast so I don't do that many cars. I ended up giving many friend and relatives full blown corrections for free just to try my "stuff"! Now that I've been doing this a while the reality is that friend's DD's don't need a 4 step correction process. Usually D151 and a tangerine pad blows them away. OCD can really take over with this hobby!

Here's something that may help you. Perhaps you approach this on the cheap and buy the Harbor Freight DA, then buy a 5" and 3.5" backing plate. I can give you a few older 5.5" CCS pads to use to get you started. I am also pruning my products so I can give you some UC and UP. I also have some 105 and 205 you can use. I also have some other products I might be able to give you to get started. If you end up staying enthused with detailing then you can buy your Flex 3401 and use the HF DA for 4" pads or with scrub brushes.

I have a GG6 that serves me well. I also have an older PC7424 that I use for smaller pads and scrub brushing carpets. I've been thinking about a Flex but just only keep my DD's clean now and a few freebies on the side for relaxation so I'm not sure I really need one.

I'd let you borrow my GG6 but we've just entered the cooler season which means it's finally detailing season and I'm using it more to clean up my rides. But, you could come over ( not sure in AZ where you live ) and try the GG6, along with some of other products and pads I have in my arsenal.

If that's of interest to you just PM and we can work something out. My schedule is pretty tight these days but I can always make time for someone new getting into the hobby.

Good luck with your venture into detailing!
    Wknd Dtlr, wow, that is truly generous…..thank you so much.

And the answer is Yes, I would love to have the chance to get to use and handle a machine.
    Especially around someone who has experience and knows the craft.

I totally get what your saying about how easily OCD can take over with this hobby as I am just beyond overwhelmed right now with all the different choices and products that are available.. lol

Anyhow, I'm going to PM you right now with my info…

Thanks again my friend…..

This place is awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

Hope everyone is having a most excellent weekend….as it is an extremely beautiful day here in Southern, Az.

So, after a little more conversations with folks here and reading and re-reading everything I could find concerning the Flex xc3401…I appears that am definitely going to be going with this machine.

Although, I decided that I am going to switch up some of the other items on the shopping list that i previously mentioned above so that I could narrow it down to what my car "needs".

So any who, this is the New & Improved shopping list; please le me know what you think….and also please let me know if I am forgetting anything at all.

Please keep in mind that I have never owned a machine before so I'd also like to include and foam pad cleaners or tools that will help keep my items clean between and while doing the job.

My list for Paint Correction includes;

1) Flex XC 3401, FLEX Orbital Polisher,flex XC 3401 VRG dual-action polisher,flex XC3401VRG,Dual Action polisher,FLEX buffer

2) FLEX XC3401 Changeable Backing Plate System

3) 5 Inch Hybrid Power Finish White Pad (Single) x5

4) 5 Inch Hybrid Power Finish Orange Pad (Single) x5

5) 5 Inch Hybrid Power Finish Black Pad (Single) x5

6) 5 Inch Hybrid Power Finish Blue Pad (Single) x5

7) Menzerna Fast Gloss Compound, Fast Gloss 400, FG400 compound

8) Menzerna Power Finish PO 203, one step polish, swirl remover, finishing polish, car polish, german car polish, menzerna polishing compounds, power

9) Menzerna Nano Polish, Mernzerna 106FF, Menzerna po106, Mernzerna polish

10) Menzerna Polish PO85RD, Mernzerna 85rd, Menzerna finish po85rd

11) Blackfire Pad Care Kit (Foam Pad Cleaner???)

12) FLEX Swirl Finder Light

Now is this going to be all I need to complete a thorough job or will I need an LSP of some kind as well???

I believe I read somewhere that these two products are good but I could be wrong… ?!??!

1) Duragloss Clear Coat Polish (CCP) #111 Buy One, Get One Free!

2) Duragloss Polish Bonding Agent (PBA) #601

Now, here's my list for for my Tires & Wheels;

1) 2 Pack Cyclo Polisher Aqua Soft Carpet Brush

2) Carrand Brush & Shine Tire Dressing Applicators, tire brush, tire shine applicator

3) Flex Foam Tire Dressing Applicators, tire swipes, tire gel app

So far, I have been I've been using the Turtle Wax Endura Shine Kit and love it.

http://www.turtlewax.com/shop/produc...-tire-coat-kit

But, I'm wondering if there's anything else I need such as a nice AIO tire cleaner or something of that nature..if so please let me know.

For Interior, I have been using Pinnacle leather Cleaner & Conditioner as well as 303 Aerospace for my leather.

The Dash and rest of interior gets Meg's Quick Interior Cleaner followed up by Megs Ultimate Protectant and 303 Aerospace.

Exterior Trim & Plastic;

1) First, I Wash and wipe down all trim thoroughly with diluted ISO..then I use Turtlwax ICE Liquid Polish followed by 303 Aerospace.

This will last for a few weeks before fading again but it works…

Although, I've been reading up on other products and found this…

1) Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer, rubber trim sealant, trim restorers, gtech c4

So I think I'm going to go ahead and give the C-4 a shot….let me know what y'all think about this product as well.

So, other then the items I have posted here, what else might I need to complete this package and so that I can possibly order all of this at once and be done with it?

Well, I know it's Never really ever done….is it? lol

I honestly still think I'm missing something….like an AIO cleaner such as;

1) Meguiar’s D101 All Purpose Cleaner combo pack

Although, I'm not sure I truly "Need" it….please let me know.

I sincerely thank al those again who have helped me thus far including Ted who had me call him up and gave me some solid and sound advice..Thanks again my friend.

Well, I'm going to continue shopping around and read up on everything I need and think I need…hahahaha

Have a great rest of the day folks.
    Peace and take care,
    Rick~

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there Mizzoutiger, yes the link to that Thread did help.
    Thank You!

I went ahead and just got done ordering around $150 in MF towels from MF Tech.

I will be ordering the items listed above in about a month or so when the major sales start happening again!

Thank again for everyones help!

Oh and fwiw, these were the towels I got from MF tech..;

12x Extra Fluffy Microfiber Quick Detail & Waterless Wash Cloth 700gsm 16''x16

12x 16''x16'' Ultra Microfiber Towel - 300 GSM - 80.20

24x 16''x16'' Extra Plush Elite Microfiber Towels - 530 gsm - 75.25 - Blue

2x Korean Waffle-Weave Drying Towel - 25'' x 36'' - 460 GSM - 80.20

I've already got about a dozen Gold Plush Jr's so those will be added to the rest

Oh yea, and today we are going to Costco to grab some sacrificial MF towels.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234