autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New GG HD 6" Accessories?

1st post! I am picking up the GG HD 6" this weekend. I saw a few packages available that come with pads and what not. I feel like I should get just the polisher and my own pads seperately but I have some questions.

1. It looks like the foam pads are for applying and there are plenty of options for those but I havent seen where it discusses or sells what to remove the wax with. What do I use?

2. Can anyone recommend things to get me started with the GG? I was going to pick up foam pads, something to remove the wax, and maybe some pad cleaning stuff. Anything else I will need? I know there are a lot of options when it comes to backing plates, etc.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New GG HD 6" Accessories?

I you are going to stick with foam pads, buy more than comes in the basic kit. One pad of each won't get much work done in an efficient manner. I made that mistake when I bought mine.

Get some microfibers for wax/polish residue removal.

I ended up picking up the Meguiars 5.5" Microfiber DA Correction Kit and prefer it over foam pads so far.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not suggest removing wax with your machine polisher

A soft, clean microfiber towel is what most people use

Applying wax and sealant with a machine is great. I use a red ccs pad on speed 3

Post Thanks / Like

i prefer not to buy any package(s) that are put together unless i plan on using all the items in which most cases there are a one or two things i wouldn't use and it would be wasted money. buy exactly what you want and know you will use...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm like the others, use the machine to apply but remove by hand. I know Mike Phillips made a video where they removed wax with a bonnet Bonnets are fabric pad covers used to buff off waxes and polishes with your polisher or buffer. microfiber bonnet, micro fiber bonnet, terry cloth.

Are you just using it to apply wax? If so 6" pads with the stock backing plate should be fine. If you decide to try compounding and polishing I'd recommend getting a 5" backing plate and pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    I would not suggest removing wax with your machine polisher

A soft, clean microfiber towel is what most people use

Applying wax and sealant with a machine is great. I use a red ccs pad on speed 3
    Why wouldn't I remove it with the machine?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FocusSTguy View Post
    I'm like the others, use the machine to apply but remove by hand. I know Mike Phillips made a video where they removed wax with a bonnet Bonnets are fabric pad covers used to buff off waxes and polishes with your polisher or buffer. microfiber bonnet, micro fiber bonnet, terry cloth.

Are you just using it to apply wax? If so 6" pads with the stock backing plate should be fine. If you decide to try compounding and polishing I'd recommend getting a 5" backing plate and pads.
    I have a 2014 ST2. You on focusst.org?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AustrianOak82 View Post
    I have a 2014 ST2. You on focusst.org?
    I have a Tuxedo Black 2013 ST2 and yes I am a member (Mustanggolfguy). What is your user name over there?

Post Thanks / Like

Do not use speed 6 on the GG machine, like people do with the PCXP, you will melt your foam pads!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 99monguse View Post
    Do not use speed 6 on the GG machine, like people do with the PCXP, you will melt your foam pads!
    I too agree with this, the GG6" has a lot of power and speed setting #6 is for spot polishing only, real stubborn spots and only to be used in short bursts.

The orange pads from Griot's are just fine for most of your uses, the red wax pads are soft for applying wax and get the job done, same with the new black pads for light polushing, nice stuff and I've been using them for quite some time w/o an issue.

It was said before and I agree, DO NOT USE THE MACHINE TO REMOVE POLISH OR WAX! Using the correct colored mf towel from Griot's is all you need when using the kit. Watch the DVD that comes with the kit, it should be available, its helpful and entertaining at the same time, the tips learned here will save you a lot of grief down the road, trust me:thumbup:

Sent from my SPH-M930 using Tapatalk 2
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast