autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Purchasing new porter cable + accessories...

Hello all. I am in the process of putting together an order for a polisher for my own personal use. I have a white 2007 denali, and 2001 white trans am ws6.

Anyways, this is my first time using a polisher and I need some tips for what to purchase with my polisher. I found a lot of packages here and I want to ask all you veterans which kit would be best for my use.

I like the porter cable 7424xp. My questions are which pads, polish, and other accessories I should purchase at the same time. My trans am is a garage queen and has very little to no marring. But my truck is outside 24/7 and has moderate marring and scratches.

I was thinking a few orange pads, and some white ones. I'm a little confused on which compound and polish I should get. I plan on topping it all off with collinite 476 or 845.

Also, how many pads of each color should I get? It's a big truck so I would like to not have to clean them until I finish the whole job.

Thanks for all the feedback you can throw my way. Im sure I have more questions, but this is all I can think of at this point.

Regards,

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Purchasing new porter cable + accessories...

Brian, i would recommend getting at least 1 mf cutting disk to compare how much faster it will cut than foam. if you can afford three colors of each pad, except the sealant or wax pad,that's what i would recommend. The pc needs to cut on speed 6 with about 15 lbs of pressure. get a 5'' backing plate so you can easily use 5 or 5.5 pads.
    Why not go for the flex?
    I have both. I much prefer using the flex.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    Brian, i would recommend getting at least 1 mf cutting disk to compare how much faster it will cut than foam. if you can afford three colors of each pad, except the sealant or wax pad,that's what i would recommend. The pc needs to cut on speed 6 with about 15 lbs of pressure. get a 5'' backing plate so you can easily use 5 or 5.5 pads.
    Why not go for the flex?
    I have both. I much prefer using the flex.
    Thanks expdetailing! I haven't looked into the flex. I was under the impression that the PC was the best polisher for the beginner?? Am I mistaken? Thanks for the info and I will look into the flex.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Denali-ws6 View Post
    Thanks expdetailing! I haven't looked into the flex. I was under the impression that the PC was the best polisher for the beginner?? Am I mistaken? Thanks for the info and I will look into the flex.
    The Flex 3401 is perhaps the best overall polisher. Nowhere near the danger of using a rotary in untrained hands, but the ability to go beyond what traditional DA polishers can do, due to its forced rotation. It's quite hard to damage the paint with a Flex but still possible. Most people don't recommend to beginners because it requires better technique, there is more of a danger in harming the paint, and is costly compared to other polishers. Does a beginner who perhaps doesn't need showcar finishes for his daily driver really need a Flex to get basic swirls and defects out or apply wax?

The PC is quite capable, and should serve you well. In the future, if you do upgrade to a Flex, a Rupes Bigfoot or a rotary, you can utilize your PC for smaller spaces with a 3" or 4" pads for A-pillars etc. Just get a smaller backing plate. If you plan to do a lot of detailing and polishing, it might be better to spring for the Flex right away, it's a solid tool.

Edit: I'd say spring for quality products now. The Wolfgang four is always a good pick. For pads, LC flat pads 6 pack are great to buy for 5.5" on the PC. Depends on what kind of defects there are, but I remember my first purchase was 2 orange, 2 white and 2 black I think. If you want more defect removal microfiber pads are always good to look into. Additionally, you can also do like 1 yellow, 2 orange, 1 white, 1 black, 1 blue pad. XMT is a nice line for machine users too. Menzerna, Wolfgang, Meguiars professional etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I used a PC for about 3 years, then finally bought a Flex. I knew after about one hour of using the PC that I would eventually buy something more powerful.

If your budget won't allow a Flex, I recommend the 3" backing plate in addition to the 5" backing plate for the PC. The PC will do deeper defect removal much better with the 3" backing plate (3.5-4.5" pads). 3" plate for defect/RIDS removal, 5" plate for light swirl removal/final polishing and you're good to go. The 3" plate also works well for tight spaces.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Madness87 View Post
    The Flex 3401 is perhaps the best overall polisher. Nowhere near the danger of using a rotary in untrained hands, but the ability to go beyond what traditional DA polishers can do, due to its forced rotation. It's quite hard to damage the paint with a Flex but still possible. Most people don't recommend to beginners because it requires better technique, there is more of a danger in harming the paint, and is costly compared to other polishers. Does a beginner who perhaps doesn't need showcar finishes for his daily driver really need a Flex to get basic swirls and defects out or apply wax?

The PC is quite capable, and should serve you well. In the future, if you do upgrade to a Flex, a Rupes Bigfoot or a rotary, you can utilize your PC for smaller spaces with a 3" or 4" pads for A-pillars etc. Just get a smaller backing plate. If you plan to do a lot of detailing and polishing, it might be better to spring for the Flex right away, it's a solid tool.
    Thanks madness87! Great advice! Yeah, I don't plan on detailing for money or anything like that for the time being. I plan on just polishing my two vehicles and maybe a few friends/family vehicles.
    In the future, once I get a better feel for polishing, I am sure to upgrade to the more powerful tools. But from what I have read, the PC should do what I need and more. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Denali-ws6 Have you considered the Griots Garage DA?? Considerably more powerful than the PC, just as safe and it has a lifetime warranty. With a 5" BP and 5.5" pads there isn't anything it can't handle.

Post Thanks / Like

My 2 cents again; the flex learning curve is about one panel. If you can put one foot in front of the other most of the time without falling, you're qualified to buy a flex. Do not be hesitant to buy a flex, if money is no issue, because youu WILL be able to use it just fine. That truck you have (denali?) has a lot of real estate, and that sports car has alot of curves. You need an as$ kicker, you NEED a flex. Trust me, you'll be glad you did. If you buy a pc, it will dawn on you that you will be buying another machine later on. You may as well just cut to the chase. It's cheaper in the long run to buy a flex; you won't NEED to buy a pc, and its backing plate, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    My 2 cents again; the flex learning curve is about one panel. If you can put one foot in front of the other most of the time without falling, you're qualified to buy a flex. Do not be hesitant to buy a flex, if money is no issue, because youu WILL be able to use it just fine. That truck you have (denali?) has a lot of real estate, and that sports car has alot of curves. You need an as$ kicker, you NEED a flex. Trust me, you'll be glad you did. If you buy a pc, it will dawn on you that you will be buying another machine later on. You may as well just cut to the chase. It's cheaper in the long run to buy a flex; you won't NEED to buy a pc, and its backing plate, etc.
    100% The Flex 3401 VRG is your best bet especially for a big SUV. Once you try and get used to a Flex you will never work on a large car without it. I have a PC7424XP too. I bought the Flex because the PC took a long time to do correcting.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Porter Cable last year and a Flex 3401 this year. The PC has been out of the bag since. Need I say more.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast