autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Splatter

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Splatter

OK, I have tried Meg polish and I just received some XMT products which are thicker. So far it does not matter what I use, when I do a section and finish it and go to the next section I get splatter from the section I am working on to the section I just finished. Tiny drops thrown all over the place. Now mostly you can take a microfiber and wipe them off. What about using a product like a quick detailer to clean up the mess. It does work well. Also do you use a new pad each time you apply finish if you leave it from one evening to another? It is so hot in the garage, I have only been doing one section at a time. I put the pad in a plastic bag, but I have enough pads I could use a new one each time. Or does a pad get better the longer you use it. Thanks for the info

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kycoralhead
    OK, I have tried Meg polish and I just received some XMT products which are thicker. So far it does not matter what I use, when I do a section and finish it and go to the next section I get splatter from the section I am working on to the section I just finished. Tiny drops thrown all over the place. Now mostly you can take a microfiber and wipe them off. What about using a product like a quick detailer to clean up the mess. It does work well. Also do you use a new pad each time you apply finish if you leave it from one evening to another? It is so hot in the garage, I have only been doing one section at a time. I put the pad in a plastic bag, but I have enough pads I could use a new one each time. Or does a pad get better the longer you use it. Thanks for the info
    Sounds like you are using too much product. I've left my pad in a zip lock to use the next day with no problems. Don't leave it in the bag for any length of time or it will mildew.

Post Thanks / Like
    leave buffer on slow and spread polish before kicking up on high. Also as said above dont use to much polish. You can always reprime pad or redo an area but getting to much polish to flash is a nightmare and you'll likely remove it prior to breaking down properly and diminishing the abrasive quality.

Scott

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have watched the videos of application of the XMT and I probably am putting on too much, but not more than they put on in the video. When I put it on, it does not stay creamy like on the video but almost goes away fairly soon after spreading. I do start the PC on 3 and spread the polish around and then kick it up on 5 just as in the video. I am wondering about the heat, it is at least 90 degrees in my garage even with the doors open. Could the heat make the product appear to set up too quickly. I admit the XMT does seem to stay creamy longer than the Meg. and I did buff it until I thought it broke over and actually polished after that point. Would spraying the pad with some pad conditioner or another product during the process help make it last longer. Is that what you refer to as repriming the pad?

Post Thanks / Like
    repriming the pad can be done with additional polish added later, or a spritz or two of pad conditioner as needed. Not normally needed but can be done. Heat and humidity will clearly effect polishes.

Scott