autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question So what is the verdict? CCS pads or good ole' flat pads?

I would like to know your opinion on the flat LCs vs CCS LCs.... I need to purchase some new pads soon.

The batch of CCS pads I first bought were through Proper Auto Care... the ones with the blue foam behind the pad supposibly to help "stabilize" the pad on edges/slopes. IMO their system is a joke and is a way to sell less good LC foam for the same price... IMO it causes the pads to fatigue due to having a technically thinner pad.

Anyways... I think the pads from Proper Auto Care have ruined my CCS experience. I find it more effective to use the good ole' flat LCs instead of the Proper Auto Care CCS pads.

My question is... I do get good results from my flat pads, should I go with a new set of flats? Or should I give CCS pads another try except this time buy the good CCS pads that arent made with the gimick blue foam like my first set of CCS pads?

Thank you in advance!
    ----2002 35th Anniversary SS Camaro Limited Edition----
    --------------------568rwhp/551rwtq---------------------
    -D1SC Procharger-Custom Cam-FMIC-6.0L Heads-11psi-

Post Thanks / Like
    I like using the 5.5 inch pads for cutting. And the 6.5 for polishing/finishing.
    The 5.5 are flat, and low profile. And the 6.5 are CCS pads.
    I am beginning to think that pads are a matter of personal prefrence.
    But, you should give ccs another chance, sounds like you got a strange version the first time. I dont like the 6.5 pads for cutting, not enough control IMO.

Your SS sounds awesome, I almost bought a 02 black ss w/ under 6k on it. But, when I sat in the car my head was 'in' the T-top. I could tell that any sort of accident would be very very bad for me.
    But anyway sick car, post some pics!
    Last edited by A1monky; 08-01-2007 at 03:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    flat for me

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the pads from CMA (Proper Auto Care) with the blue foam backing...these pads to me are not PC friendly..they are for a rotary and they work good with it...they also have a backing issue when used with a PC...none so far with a rotary..

Now I have the CCS pads from AG and they work great with a PC...no issues at all...work great with both machines...my favorite pads for Menzerna...

I also bought alot of the 5.5 low profiles a while back...and they are one nice pad....I use these on both a PC and A Rotary...and I like them alot...

I also have some Edge Classics (6 inch)...also a great pad..these are 4 years old and still used today...

it all boils down to personal preference...my polish choices work fine with all these pads....

AL

Post Thanks / Like
    I was (and am) a DA polisher newb and got the XMT Intermediate kit, which came with the 6.5" LC CCS pads. It seemed like a popular choice here and I believe is also recommended by TropiCare, a vendor on LS1GTO.com. So I thought, what the hey, everyone uses 'em right?

Well, I'm not too fond of them. The orange cutting pad is just too large IMO. Since you have to use a higher speed with a swirl remover like XMT #3 (and god forbid if I break out #4), you get more vibration and it makes hitting tight spots or curves more difficult. It takes a lot of patience to get the 6.5" pads centered properly, which does matter at the higher speeds - the more off-center it is, the worse the vibrations.

Now using the white & grey pads for XMT #1 & finishing touches is fine - speed is generally lower and they cover a greater surface area.

I detailed probably about 1/2 my Subaru station wagon with the 6.5" orange pad and just stopped - it is such a PITA. I have a shipment arriving tomorrow with 5.5" orange & white pads. These should be great to finish the Subaru and I knew I didn't want to tackle my wife's Accord (paint is in pretty bad shape) with the 6.5" pad.

My $0.02, but get the 5.5" orange for light-medium correction - 6.5" LC is just too big. 6.5" Edge may be okay with the diffferent mounting system, but not just a velcro backing plate.
    Cars to be detailed:
    2006 Pontiac GTO, Spice Red Metallic, 6-speed, 17" wheels - minor swirls, overall good condition
    2006 Honda Accord coupe, Black Pearl, 5-speed - Paint in bad shape, tons of swirls and water marks, sat on a dealer's lot for nearly 1 year

1997 Subaru Legacy GT wagon, Red, automatic - Crappy re-paint to begin with, much improved, may need XMT #4 on the roof

Post Thanks / Like
    I love my 6.5" LC CCS pads! I have never had any issues with them at all. Also just grabbed some 4" for those hard to reach areas!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got hooked on the low profile; they are great on my vette. But I think the CCS pads are fine; I use them on the other vehicles. Never bought pads anywhere else but here! I can recommend them both. Try both!
    ~Lulu~

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you mean the 4" low profile or the 5.5? Just curious. I'd get the 4" but don't want to have to deal with a new backing plate - more cost & hassle when changing over.
    Cars to be detailed:
    2006 Pontiac GTO, Spice Red Metallic, 6-speed, 17" wheels - minor swirls, overall good condition
    2006 Honda Accord coupe, Black Pearl, 5-speed - Paint in bad shape, tons of swirls and water marks, sat on a dealer's lot for nearly 1 year

1997 Subaru Legacy GT wagon, Red, automatic - Crappy re-paint to begin with, much improved, may need XMT #4 on the roof

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ecetim
    Do you mean the 4" low profile or the 5.5? Just curious. I'd get the 4" but don't want to have to deal with a new backing plate - more cost & hassle when changing over.
    The 5.5 so I don't have to buy/change the backing plate!
    ~Lulu~

Post Thanks / Like
    I use "flat" and CCS pads and frankly, I love them both. The CCS pads seem to be a bit more user friendly for me, but both work equally well.
    What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast