autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

PC Problem Trying to narrow it down

This past week I had some issues with my PC acting up. Speed six it spins fine lower speeds it spins but depending on the angle or curve of a panel it stops spinning. The other issue is when I put the least amount of pressure on it I can make it stop at speed six. I mean a little bit. I'm not going over 15 lbs buy a long shot. It also felt a little warm to the touch. It may have been me because I realized something was not right with the polisher. It's something I never noticed before

Things I ruled out: I did this all the past weekend.
    Primed using different polishes and used different pads all 5.5" with a 5" counter balance. All pads were Hex Logic and Sure Buff MF.
    Priming the pad
    Too much product
    Not enough product
    Cleaning pads.
    Over saturation of spent polish.
    Not keeping the polisher parrallel to the surface I'm working.
    Correct size extension cord. I'm using a 16 awg by 25'. I think I may have changed cords since my last detail but I'm going to confirm that in the morning and hook the polisher up to my other 16 awg by 25' and see if I can stop it pressing against me hand.

Things I am unsure of:
    I have seen people keep the metal washer that comes with the PC and put that on top of the compression washer before attaching the backing plate to give more clearance to the polisher. I have also read you always use that washer no matter what. I also have seen demo's not using that metal washer as well. I have always used the metal washer.
    My outside electrical outlet that I always use but I will also check that in the morning to see if that is pulling consistent juice. I will try my other outlets to see if that is the problem. The one I do use seems to be the one that trips the breakers the rare times it does trip them. It may be beat after the long winter we had. I have used other equipment with that outlet with no problems. I think it has tripped 3 times in the last two years.
    If you guys can think of anything else or something I am over looking that would be huge
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."

Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest I think it's the nature of the beast. Unless I also have a broken one that's how mine is.

However, are you saying that it stops rotating all together or just the spinning stops but it still oscillates?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PC Problem Trying to narrow it down

As brondondolon stated; it's the nature of the beast..

Unless you're using a Flex 3401 or similar machine with forced rotation, ensuring the polishing pad is rotating can be "challenging".

A few reasons that can cause it to stop spinning are:

1. Too much pressure
    2. Too light pressure
    3. To larger pad
    4. Uneven pressure
    5. A curved surface
    6. Too much product
    7. A dirty pad

Should the pad spin for maximum results and efficiency? Ideally yes, but if it occasionally stops it's not a show stopper, it'll just take a bit longer to correct the area..

Here's some great information by Mike Phillips that will help you.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

It will still oscillate but not spin. Thanks for the input guys. I have been digging through AG for days reading everything I can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea I have the same problem with mine and I've tried all of the above. Extremely frustrating

Post Thanks / Like

I finally figured out my problem. It seemed to be a bum extension cord as well as my electrical outlet. It did stop spinning on speeds 1-4 under load. 5-6 I could not stop it with either foam or MF pads. The MF pads did run smoother as well.
    I will probably never use speeds 1-3 except for spreading polish so as long as 5-6 don't stop spinning I'm good.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a post of someone with the exact same problem. Assuming if your using an extension cord it if the proper one it's the switch. He replaced his and it works great. I will try to find his post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm on my iPad and don't know how to post links. In the search box type in porter cable internal switch repair guide and it will pull it up

Post Thanks / Like

That's why since I got my Flex 3401 I hardly ever pull out the PC. I basically have it in case the Flex goes down now but I don't know what the chances of that are since I only use it mainly on weekends. Not everyday like some of you guys.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Post Thanks / Like

In the last 6 months I've recently taken on the task of 3-4 cars a week, if not more.

I purchased 2 new XP's and corresponding pad kits. Worked great until I got a few cars in. Pad rotation became harder than ever to maintain or even achieve.

I have learned now that pads that have lost their true round, have little chance of properly rotating on this machine. I was using 6.5 inch pads.

I have since switch to 5.5 inch with BP and no longer have rotation issues, ever. Also found that the thinner the pad, the less issues I've had. Microfiber pads have been AWESOME with this machine.

I have since moved on to the world of Rotary. But not for every car. My trust PC XP still comes out and the 5.5" pads and BP, along with some microfiber pads have been an excellent combination that work well on contoured cars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast