autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A few questions before I turn on my GG6

Those are extra brushes--I called Griots when I got mine and they said to throw them out as if you were to install them you would void the lifetime warranty. Manufacturer continues to pack them with the polisher even though Griots has asked them not to.

A suggestion: even though the GG6 has the power to spin 6.5" pads you'd be better off replacing your backing plate now with a 5" BP and start using 5.5" pads before you spend $$$$'s on the larger pads. 5.5" are more effective, easier to use on curved panels and cost less.

Post Thanks / Like

Great answers you had, and I wish you good luck.

The instruction manual of this polisher has ~45.303 pages at the moment, you just need to read all Mike Phillips posts, than you can read the extras (what we all wrote), and you're ready to turn on the machine!

No, wait! You have some thousands of videos to watch as well!

Please, count on us (on me, at least, from whom I can talk for) if you need any further support.

Also, don't forget to post you before / after pictures for us to follow your evolution.

About the Handle, I would say for you it's too early to remove.

It's better without the handle, but I suggest you to get experience (just a little) prior removing it.

The handle may act as a safety device if anything odd or unexpected happens in the beginning. It makes easier to safely hold the polisher until you get used to on/off mechanism, and many other things.

When you get some use with the polisher, I encourage you to remove the handle and improve from there.

You will feel comfortable in no time,

Just try to be on the safe side to start with.

Good luck!

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Odd that Griots can't control the manufacturer in such a simple matter as leaving out that bag of wires.

Thanks Tato. I've learned a lot so far. So much, in fact, that I'm ready to post my first How-To. Look for it, it's called "Compound, Polish, and Wax in One Step with 6" DA".

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome!, I've already posted in your first How-to thread, but at that time I haven't related this thread with that one.

Looks like you not just learned everything, but already created new ways that may work even better than our conventional polishing systems ahhaha

You're great, mate!

Good luck,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post

Those are extra brushes--I called Griots when I got mine and they said to throw them out as if you were to install them you would void the lifetime warranty. Manufacturer continues to pack them with the polisher even though Griots has asked them not to.

[B]A suggestion: even though the GG6 has the power to spin 6.5" pads you'd be better off replacing your backing plate now with a 5" BP and start using 5.5" pads before you spend $$$$'s on the larger pads. 5.5" are more effective, easier to use on curved panels and cost less.
    Excellent advice. I also did this and machine worked alot better...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    About the Handle, I would say for you it's too early to remove.

It's better without the handle, but I suggest you to get experience (just a little) prior removing it.

The handle may act as a safety device if anything odd or unexpected happens in the beginning. It makes easier to safely hold the polisher until you get used to on/off mechanism, and many other things.
    I actually like the handle on the GG6. I don't feel it gets in the way at all until you get near the side view mirror, and only just barely. With the handle, I can reposition my arms so I don't get carpal tunnel or sore from using the same "stance" holding the machine for hours.

That said, I wish it was 1/3 shorter than it is. Keep the same width, just don't make it as tall.

It is the switch I'd like to see improved the most on this machine. When my hands are covered in slick product, I'm fighting the switch to turn off the machine. I can't always wash my hands completely clean before using the DA. Or MF soap spray is on them or the DA...I'm 6'2" and lift weights 3-4 times a week and if I struggle I am not sure how some of you guys don't complain about it too - unless perhaps my switch is just stiffer than other machines for some reason?

Hey Griots, a perfect solution is to:

1) Make the switch have a taller shoulder on it so it is easier to pull down
    2) Lengthen the cavity in which the switch slides so there is more of a pocket above the end of the switch at its ON position so I can get my finger into that cavity to more easily pull the switch down to the OFF position
    3) or....do both #1 and #2 for a nice improvement.

While I'm at it. Make the whole bottom of the machine a rotary potentiometer to make it very easy to change speeds. These two changes would be awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a 5" backing plate and some 5.5" pads and they work great! Being careful, I can even use my 4" pads on the 5" plate for RID removal work.

So far the machine is brilliant. Could not have done it without the help!!

Post Thanks / Like

Very good results so far with the GG6. After some funny mishaps, I got the hang of it. Aside from masking off and prep, it's fun. One mishap involved a 4" pad on a 5" backing plate (I know) and the foam became delamintated from its own velcro backing. It SHOT out of the garage, down the driveway, and made a left at the road after it hit ground, where it rolled to the neighbors yard. Also some major compound sling from a wet pad. The entire car was covered in brown dot. A riot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12