autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

G220V2 or G110V2 - Replacement wrench and carbon brushes

Hi there. I found an used G220v2 on sale in a forum but with two things missing.
    1) the wrench
    2) the pair of back up carbon brushes.

I want to ask does anyone knows what after market tool can replace the wrench? A spanner seems to be too thick to insert into the slot of the machine. The seller claims a normal wrench can easily found in any ordinary hardware store but I have yet to see anything that slim. I see a lot of spanner but not that kind of slim wrench comes together with the machine when purchase new. If anyone has such after market tool with you can you kindly post a picture, and how much it costs?

And the missing pair of back up carbon brushes, that concerns me a bit because I have no idea usually how long it takes for the brushes to be replaced. The machine is 1 year old and according to the seller is been used less than 5 times, each time on a full car detailing. Just worry that to buy a replacement carbon brushes alone from Meguiar's distributor later in the future will be too cost ineffective.

BTW is the G220v2 or G110v2 only can use carbon brushes manufactured by Meguiar's? Can I get some other after market carbon brushes and it still fit and does the job?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: G220V2 or G110V2 - Replacement wrench and carbon brushes

I just replaced my carbon brushes on my Hitachi circular machine after about 6 years of use (and abuse!). They were very easy to find online and very cheap, incl shipping to FL from Utah. I found about 50 sources online after a quick search and there were several "equivalents" to the OEM set too. I stuck with the OEM because they were so cheap. I have to think you can find your brushes online and cheap but if it's only a year old machine i wouldn't worry too much you'll need some soon.

I have to think the wrench would be easy to find too. Then again, you're starting your search first in the right place! Here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    I just replaced my carbon brushes on my Hitachi circular machine after about 6 years of use (and abuse!). They were very easy to find online and very cheap, incl shipping to FL from Utah. I found about 50 sources online after a quick search and there were several "equivalents" to the OEM set too. I stuck with the OEM because they were so cheap. I have to think you can find your brushes online and cheap but if it's only a year old machine i wouldn't worry too much you'll need some soon.

I have to think the wrench would be easy to find too. Then again, you're starting your search first in the right place! Here
    6 yrs! oh I never expected it is so durable. But how often you use your Hitachi RB?
    I just be informed that a slim wrench like the one supplied together with Meguiar's DA when someone purchase it new can be found in bicycle accessories shop. It is said that a slim wrench is a common tool among the cyclist community. I need to go find out whether this is true or not.

Yah thanks asking here is always the right place to start with.

Post Thanks / Like

I use my circular buffer maybe 10-15 hours a month so it's given a decent life to those original brushes. But it hasn't been dogged like a pro would use in a "shop". The frequency and use during those brush "lives" was for the occassional customer and my cars.

They basically wear down and there is a mark on the side of each brush that shows a minimum tolerance of wear. I was close on one side and had plenty left on the other side.

And i'm thinking you don't need to replace them yet (but not sure on that) but will say you're smart to think about having a spare set for when they do. I bought 2 sets (4 brushes) when i ordered my replacements recently. One to replace the bad set i have and another set to be ready to swap out if i'm in the middle of a job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    I use my circular buffer maybe 10-15 hours a month so it's given a decent life to those original brushes. But it hasn't been dogged like a pro would use in a "shop". The frequency and use during those brush "lives" was for the occassional customer and my cars.

They basically wear down and there is a mark on the side of each brush that shows a minimum tolerance of wear. I was close on one side and had plenty left on the other side.

And i'm thinking you don't need to replace them yet (but not sure on that) but will say you're smart to think about having a spare set for when they do. I bought 2 sets (4 brushes) when i ordered my replacements recently. One to replace the bad set i have and another set to be ready to swap out if i'm in the middle of a job.
    What will be the 1st sign one can notice when the machine he is using is running on a wear out carbon brushes? Noise? Lack of power?

Post Thanks / Like

In the case of my rotary, it would occasionally cut power and it progressively got worse before i thoroughly trouble shot it. I can only imagine it might do the same on a ROB. The armature is missing a "connection". And actually, the more i think about it, it did get noisier...a little more "chatter" when running.