autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Griots Garage 6 Inch and 3 Inch Specs

Hello everyone once again, so I am new to the forum and I did a search on google and on this website and did not find anything really.
    So sometimes, not all the time my DA when I start them up and run them I notice that they do not want to spin like the spoecs have, now thats without pressure on 4-6 also. Not even a low speed. I can take it off completely and let it start gaining speed and apply it again on the surface and it will slowly bog down as I increase pressure. Would anyone have any suggestions as to something I can do to fix this, or perhaps is this how it is supposed to be? Am I just being to critical? I noticed my 3 inch is even worse about it, maybe something is burned out on them? Regardless I will now quit guessing and saying everything under the soon is wrong with it, and leave it to the experts. Who knows I may be applying everything wrong with it. Thankyou everyone in advance for my "noobeness" and helping me out It means alot
    Reasons Automotive Detailing
    Alamo, Tennessee 38001
    (731)-337-2421

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots Garage 6 Inch and 3 Inch Specs

if you keep the GG6 flat on the surface, usually it will be hard pressed to keep it from spinning, i'm surprised you would have any problems with the GG6 keeping rotation...

Post Thanks / Like

Same here--it's very difficult to get the GG6 (with 5" BP and 5.5" pads) to stop rotating on speeds 5 or 6 without extreme pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

It happns more usually with my GG3, but the 6 does tend to happen here and there, and they are fairly new, could it be me putting to much polish on or wax or etc? Or not putting enough on? I can barely barely put pressure on the 3 and it completly quits spinning on level 6 but it still does the random spinning just not the actual circular spinning...if that makes sense
    Alamo, Tennessee 38001
    (731)-337-2421

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using an extension cord? If so is it the correct gauge? I can't see having to pull the GG6 all the way off the paint to grt it moving...then it slowly picks up speed??

Post Thanks / Like

MY GG3 will bog down but I think that's expected with the price and size, Have you let the pads and the product do most of the work rather then downward forced pressure. I do notice with the GG3 that it will bog down faster if too much product like M101 or M105 is applied cause its thicker in substance. Not the same for M205 with me because its a finer substance. As for the GG6 I've had no problems with it and I have the 5" plate with 5 1/2" pads.
    2011 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5S Burgundy.

+1 Mobile Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Something has to be wrong here. The 3" Griots - yeah, that probably won't spin if a feather fell on it - but the 6" should be a beast.

1. Mark your BP - are you sure it's not spinning, or does it just look that way?

2. What size pads? If your using like 8" old skool pads - it may not spin those well. The machine works well with pads up to 6.5" with the appropriate BP.

3. What speed?

4. Do you have the washer on the BP? The BP should spin without dragging on the machine.

5. Are you using too much product? A pad soaked with any liquid won't spin as well as a fresh one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Are you using an extension cord? If so is it the correct gauge? I can't see having to pull the GG6 all the way off the paint to grt it moving...then it slowly picks up speed??
    You know, I am using a very long extension cord now that I think of it, It is late now, but first thing in the morning I am going to review the gauge wire and see if this could perhaps be my problem, this sounds like the culprit as my GG6 does good sometimes, and sometimes it does not, and with this information that could be the culprit of the sometimes problem. I will fill everyone in tomorrow, I am hoping that this will be the culprit.

Also kirkatizer, the 3 inch will bog down even if i just LIGHTLY touch the paint, the 6 inch will bog down and only seem to do the random motion when I apply a minor amount of pressure, but then again my minor amount of pressure could be quite a bit to someone else. Something I have not thought about till now.

swanicyouth haha, thats how I feel about the GG3 a feather is slowing it down! All the pads are the Griots Garage Pads which is the exact size fittings for the backing plates which is 3 inch and 6 inch pads. On the GG3 it will even bog down by BARELY touching any surface on speed 6, which I think is just super strange. As in having a pad soaked in some type of liquid substance I don't believe that is the problem, as I have watched multiply videos on people polishing and the works carefully watching to see how much they apply, and also reading all directions and blah blah. Regardless the GG3 quits spinning regardless if I have a little polish, a lot of polish or no polish when I used it on a fender I bought from a scrap yard for practice. The GG6 only does it when I apply minor pressure in my opinion. Of course like I said previously that could be a lot compared to someone else. I will just have to see and experiment with the 6, it might all be ok after I look at the wire. ALSO I will do as you said in step 1, and mark, and see if that does anything!
    Thanks guys for everyone helping and suggesting things.
    Alamo, Tennessee 38001
    (731)-337-2421

Post Thanks / Like

Well the extension cord was the culprit! I am still quiet displeased with the GG3, but I might talk to Griots about taking it back as It has not been over 180 days, I really just do not feel like I can get what I want out of it, and can just use the GG3, and or my hand to do the work that the GG3 is equivalent to! I could be mistaken also or perhaps I am running the GG3 wrong, but after watching the disk that came with it and reading tons of information on the GG3 I don't feel like I was. Who knows perhaps more studying will change my mind. Thankyou everyone cause now the GG3 works just like when I first got it, working miracles once again
    Alamo, Tennessee 38001
    (731)-337-2421

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RyanReasons View Post
    Well the extension cord was the culprit! I am still quiet displeased with the GG3, but I might talk to Griots about taking it back as It has not been over 180 days, I really just do not feel like I can get what I want out of it, and can just use the GG3, and or my hand to do the work that the GG3 is equivalent to! I could be mistaken also or perhaps I am running the GG3 wrong, but after watching the disk that came with it and reading tons of information on the GG3 I don't feel like I was. Who knows perhaps more studying will change my mind. Thankyou everyone cause now the GG3 works just like when I first got it, working miracles once again
    Glad your up and running properly again. I have heard a lot of people say the GG 3doesn't have any power. It's a shame, it would be a handy tool if it worked properly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast