autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

DA and Forced Rotation polishers

Just curious.

For those who have both types of machines, any particular situation you would use just DA ie. PC 7424XP and other situation you'd grab the Forced Rotation ie. Flex 3401?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a makita rotary I break out for really bad stuff, heavy scratches and oxidation.

I use my flex 3401 the most, usually for medium to heavier correction.

My GG6 gets used for tight areas with a 4" pad, and also cleaning windows, and applying sealant.

My Griots will usually do all of the above, but the time involved isn't always work it. Its a bit slower to correct than the others. My PC and dewalt rop weren't up to most of the tasks I needed in a descent time frame. I'd have to charge 2x more with them to make any money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Mike Phillips

Re: DA and Forced Rotation polishers

I would use the PC for machine wet sanding but I would never use the Flex 3401 for machine wet sanding.

I tend to use the PC for machine application of finishing waxes and sealants and while I could use the Flex 3401 for this the lighter weight and compact size of the PC makes it easier to hold with one hand while applying the wax to the lower vertical surfaces.

That's the first two uses and non-uses off the top of my head.

Other than that, both tools can pretty much be used for all the same things.

Compounding/Correction work
    Polishing
    Machine waxing
    Decontaminating with Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads
    Production detailing for both boats and cars

Post Thanks / Like

My DA can correct just about anything when using good products and a good set of pads.
    I just bought some flat Lake Country 5.5" pads and man do they work well.
    Best pads I ever used.

This past weekend I used my PC on a 2005 Corvette that had a lot of swirls and light scratches and totally removed them all.
    I used the Wolfgang Uber Compound along with a orange Lake Country pad, four passes and all gone, then for step two I used my PC using with Meguiar's 205 Ultra Fine Polish, this was on Saturday.

Before....

After......

Again only four passes and the paint was flawless.

On Sunday I worked on a thrashed 1999 GMC that was so bad I had to use my DeWalt 849x using a double sided wool pad along with the Wolfgang Uber Compound, man I love the Uber

For step two I used my PC with a flat, black Lake Country finishing pads along with the Meguiar's 205 , the results were stunning, didn't have many swirls but the truck was faded, just no gloss.

Before......

After washing it three times and claying I started the correction.

After......

For me I need both, my rotary and DA, I only use my rotary when it's only needed, however I use it to jewel paint.

You can get better results using a PC with high end products and pads than you can get with a high end buffer using not so good products and cheap pads IMO
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Which machine for removing scratches and swirls ??

I am learning about different pads and their uses. Which machine would help this process ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Flex 3401 (forced rotation) for cutting and removing defects.

Rupes, Porter Cable, Griots (dual action) for polishing and finish work.

Quote Originally Posted by KBsSS View Post
    Which machine for removing scratches and swirls ??

I am learning about different pads and their uses. Which machine would help this process ??

Post Thanks / Like

IMO the Griots is the best bang for the buck--much more poweful than the PC and with a 5" backing plate, 5.5" flat pads and the right products it can handle anything. And it has a lifetime warranty.

That being said if the Harbor Freight DA had been available when I bought my Griots I think I would have started with that --more powerful than the PC and only $50--then relegated it to 3 or 4" pads and picked up a Rupes 15 because it seems so effortless to use--very low vibrations and no downward pressure required.

Post Thanks / Like
    They will all do the same thing in the long run, some are easier to use, and more forgiving for beginners than others.

The PC is probably the easiest, and most forgiving as far as possibly damaging paint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    IMO the Griots is the best bang for the buck--much more poweful than the PC and with a 5" backing plate, 5.5" flat pads and the right products it can handle anything. And it has a lifetime warranty.

That being said if the Harbor Freight DA had been available when I bought my Griots I think I would have started with that --more powerful than the PC and only $50--then relegated it to 3 or 4" pads and picked up a Rupes 15 because it seems so effortless to use--very low vibrations and no downward pressure required.
    I bought 2 of the harbor freight DAs. I use one for carpet with a Cyclo brush. It really does a fantastic job and if it dies, it was $50, no big deal. The other one I use sometimes to apply sealants/wax although 98% of the time I wil use my Flex 3401 for that. For heavier work, I use my Flex rotary pe14 (what a beautiful machine!) or the 3401. the harbor freight ones will vibrate your hand clean off LOL