autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

PC 7335 compared to other DA polishers

Hi all, I'm new to the forum (I'll get pics and all that good stuff up eventually) but I want to know more about the Porter Cable 7335 polisher.

You see, my dad's friend got it like 10 years ago with some kit he won or bought, and he recently gave it to me. It also has a Meguiar's logo on it, if that makes any difference. I have plenty of experience using Random Orbital polishers (Dewalt, I forget the model no.) to spread waxes while working in my dad's shop detailing cars. The Porter Cable 7335 is labeled as a Random Orbital polisher, but I want to know if it can be used for paint correction like a DA polisher such as the PC 7424XP.

I really want to know if there is a difference between a DA polisher and an RO polisher, as well. I've gotten mixed answers thus far in searching, so I thought I'd ask the question myself. Thanks

Mike Phillips

Re: PC 7335 compared to other DA polishers

Welcome to AutogeekOnline...

Quote Originally Posted by dublbass606 View Post

Hi all, I'm new to the forum (I'll get pics and all that good stuff up eventually) but I want to know more about the Porter Cable 7335 polisher.

You see, my dad's friend got it like 10 years ago with some kit he won or bought, and he recently gave it to me. It also has a Meguiar's logo on it, if that makes any difference.

Back in the late 1980's or early 1990's Meguiar's introduced the Porter Cable to the car detailing world as at the time, they were the only company that I know of that actually made a foam pad that fit this tool. I document that here,

The history behind polishing paint with a DA Polisher

Does anyone know the history behind where these paint polishers came from?

Well here you go...

In the below picture is a new, never before used W-6000 6" Dual Action Buffing Pad from the late 90's, these were around back to the 1980's and possibly longer, I don't know it's hard to find anyone alive that remembers that you can talk to.

Note the wording states you can turn any dual action sander into a dual action polisher...

For those that might not know, this is an air powered, DA Sander, commonly used on body shops to sand paint, primer and bondo. ALL body shops have these air powered DUAL ACTION sanders that use a 5/16 spindle to hold a backing plate.

The W-6000 has a 5/16" threaded stud affixed to the plastic backing plate...

Here it is attached...

Here it is hooked up to an air line...

And here I am running the DA Sander/Polisher over the trunk lid of a Honda...

Then sometime in the late 1980's or early 1990's someone discovered that the pad Meguiar's sold for air powered DA Sanders would fit and work on a Porter Cable DA Sander.

Note when I typed, fit and work, that's two things, there are lots of electric DA Sanders, but most won't power a foam pad, only a thin sanding disc.

And there you go... Meguiar's, a company already selling and teaching people in the body shop industry how to finish out swirl-free on fresh paint after first using a rotary buffer introduced the same pad to the enthusiast or consumer world using a tool that the average person can plug into an electrical outlet in their garage.

The average person doesn't own an air compressor large enough to power an air powered DA Sander as a polisher around an entire car. See my article below...

Then somewhere along the line Porter Cable included a copy of the Meguiar's W-6000 DA Pad in the box and called their DA Wood Sander a DA Polisher.

Try to find that little tidbit of paint polishing history on any other detailing discussion forum.

I have plenty of experience using Random Orbital polishers (Dewalt, I forget the model no.) to spread waxes while working in my dad's shop detailing cars. The Porter Cable 7335 is labeled as a Random Orbital polisher, but I want to know if it can be used for paint correction like a DA polisher such as the PC 7424XP.

The answer is yes.

The Porter Cable 7424XP is the latest version of the 7336 you have. It has more power or at least seems to be better able to maintain pad rotation when doing correction work.

I really want to know if there is a difference between a DA polisher and an RO polisher, as well. I've gotten mixed answers thus far in searching, so I thought I'd ask the question myself. Thanks

Don't get hung up on terms used to describe a tool that will both rotate a pad and oscillate a pad at the same time and this is what the 7336 and the newer 7424XP will do.

Here's an article I wrote to help you get the best use out of your first generation Porter Cable...

How to MAXIMIZE your DA Polisher

You want to start by getting a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads. Take my word for it... (or not).

Post Thanks / Like

Love the history lesson Mike!

Thanx...

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Love the history lesson Mike!

Thanx...

Bill
    Thanks Bill...

Someday I need to write a book about the history of car detailing. Where we started, where we've gone to where we are today.

I know so many little tidbits of car detailing history that I think I could turn it into a coffee table book.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I know this was a while ago, but thanks for answering my question (and the history lesson). I will be using the PC 7335 along with CG Hex-Logic pads and the CG V-line (V38,V36,V34,V32) of compounds and polishes once the weather gets better. I will most likely end up posting before and after pics if all goes well.

I still need to figure out what combination of products/pads I'm going to use... Maybe next time I wash my car I'll post pics of my paint's condition in a different thread and ask for some advice.

Mike Phillips

What are you working on?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's an '05 Chevy Cobalt SS in Victory Red. It's about to turn 120k, but the previous owner took care of it, as do I, so it's in great shape considering the miles. But the swirls... I'll try and find some pics from car show season last year.

Mike Phillips

This article is filled with a ton of good information...

How to MAXIMIZE your DA Polisher

Basically you want to get a 5" backing plate and some 5.5" LC foam pads plus some great polishes, the most important aspect of any detail job is the abrasive technology.

Don't skimp on compounds and polishes. Get the best and your car will look great and you won't get any DA Haze or Micro-marring.

Then do this and watch the video, it goes over TONS of tips and techniques. Just like going to a mini detailing class.

Mark Your Backing Plate - Makes it easy to see Pad Rotation

Anytime you're trying to remove tings like swirls, scratches, water spots or oxidation using a DA Polisher you want to see the pad rotating while you're applying firm downward pressure.

To make it easier to see if the pad is in fact rotating, here's tip, place a black mark on the back of your backing plate. This will make it easy to visually see if the pad is rotating.

Like this,

This tip works well for,
    Porter Cable 7424XP
    Porter Cable 7424
    Porter Cable 7336

Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher
    http://www.autogeek.net/griots-orbital-polisher.html

Meguiar's G110v2
    Meguiar's G100
    Meguiar's G100a
    Meguiar's G220

Shurhold DA Polisher

DAS DA Polishers
    The below video also explains why and shows where to mark your backing plate at the 17:00 minute mark into the video.

How to remove shallow RIDS and how to machine
    apply both a paint sealant and a finishing wax

This how-to video also covers,

• RIDS - Random Isolated Deeper Scratches
    • Removing watches and any jewelery
    • Using a DA Polisher without the handle
    • Placing cord over shoulder
    • Priming the pad on a DA Polisher
    • Speed settings for removing isolated defects
    • Downward pressure needed for removing isolated defects
    • How to clean a pad on the fly
    • Where and why to mark your backing plate with a black mark
    • Rotating the body of the tool to keep the pad flat to a panel
    • Why to allow the pad to stop spinning before lifting the pad off the paint
    • How to swap backing plates from a 3.5" to a 5"
    • Machine waxing using 5.5" Hydro-Tech Crimson Finishing pads with Menzerna Power Lock
    • The "Kissing the Finish" Technique
    • How to do the Swipe Test to check if a wax or paint sealant is dry
    • How to remove dried paint sealant using a microfiber bonnet on a dry pad on a DA Polisher
    • How to clean a microfiber bonnet on the fly with your fingernails
    • How to apply a paste wax by machine - Souveran Paste Wax
    • How to carefully wipe a WOWO wax off by hand using Microfiber Gloves and plush Microfiber Towels
    • How and why to fold a microfiber towel 4-ways to wipe wax off
    • How to break-open a coat of wax and then creep out to carefully wipe off a coating of wax
    • How to do the "Final Wipe"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot, I already watched the videos. Now I'm even more excited for car show season so I can try out all the new techniques and tips I've learned.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't want to hijack this thread but i have a PC 7336 that is about 10 years old or more and continues to perform perfectly for me when i have the need for DA work and is used for all LSP application. It has been used on hundreds of vehicles and is still kicking well!

Again, i don't mean to hijack this but more to expand the info base a bit. Is what i have the next generation of the 7335 unit? I suspect others here have either the 7335 or 7336.

I will admit i am waiting for this to kick the bucket so i have a reason to get a new Flex DA but so far it has stood the test of time (and several floor crashes!).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast