autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What size pad do you use? (pc)

I have always used 6.5" pads on the PC when removing swirls. One day last year I tried a 4" pad on the PC for a spot job and was amazed at how the smaller pad removed swirls much quicker and broke down the compounds much easier/faster. I have been doing complete cars now starting with the 4" pad for the majority of swirl removal then stepping to the 6.5" for speed.

Now with the UDM coming with the 4.75" backing plate I am thinking of stepping down to 6" pads. for both the UDM and PC. I figured the smaller pad will work quicker based on my experiences on the 4" pads.

My question is what size pads do you use and why? Is a 6.5" pad hindering (absorbing) the action of the PC? Anybody else do a complete car with a 4" pad?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using the 5 and 5.5 inch pads both on a PC and Rotary and your right..it makes fast work of the corrections....I also have a big collection of the 4 in pads..and work great on a PC for corrections...very fast action...great for spot corrections...scratch removal..glass polishing...door pillars...wheels...

I did my truck in the spring of 2006 with just 4" pads for the paint correction work....and a 5" for the finish work....worked out fine...

this year I used a 5" pad and worked out fine also....they really correct fast...

I still have alot of the Edge classics in 6" and they are great I use them at times for the finishing or glazeing..

I found that the smaller the pad..the less surface resistance and the better they work...use less product...less downward pressure to have them cut..less time on a area for corrections..and no pad failures due to PC bogging and over heating...

most times with a small pad you just need the weight of the PC..and that results in less vibration also...

AL

Post Thanks / Like
    cutting : 5.5"
    polishing: 6.5"

all with the pc

Post Thanks / Like
    Wont use anything bigger than 6" pads

Post Thanks / Like
    So far, I have noticed a big difference between the UDM and the PC regarding pad size. The UDM will handle 6.5" pads a LOT better. The 6.5" orange LC pads have more bite to them with the UDM. You do not need a lot of down force on the UDM, and if you do need to use some pressure it will not bog down like the PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    6 & 4:, I love the 4" pads too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, the 4inch pads work great and I too went from using the 6.5inch pads to the 5inch pads. I find that the smaller the pad the better control, cutting/correction the pad produces. I'm quite pleased with the 5inch pads though, I hardly use my 6.5inch pads.

Oh and I have detailed a few vehicles with just 4inch and it works great.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are some cars where I dont see how you couldnt go WITHOUT using the 4" pads in places. Including this Bentley Im working on right now. Ive used my 4" pads more then the 6".

Post Thanks / Like
    5.5 inch pads....
    In the business world, the rear-view mirror is always clearer than the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using 6.5" LC pads, but I guess I'll be trying the 4" ones next time I order.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast