autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Original Edge Pad help

Hello everyone. I am new to detailing and to this site. I have a question concerning the original edge pads. I bought 4 pads from a local paint supplier (black, yellow, blue and white). I am using a PC 7424 and all of the pads failed after only one use (velcro on back of pad released). It felt like the glue holding the velcro on got too hot and melted. I used both a 5 inch backing plate and the 6 inch. (The supplier suggested the 6 inch backing plate) Am I doing something wrong? I have followed all of the instructions for use of PC 7424 from this and other forums. I don't feel like I am applying too much pressure. I let off if the pad stops spinning. Have there been problems with these pads? I would take them back to the supplier, but I tried to reglue them and feel bad returning them like that. I have ordered the new Edge 2K pads from AG, but I really hate that I wasted the money on the first set! Any help would be very much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just take them back

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by briansh73
    Hello everyone. I am new to detailing and to this site. I have a question concerning the original edge pads. I bought 4 pads from a local paint supplier (black, yellow, blue and white). I am using a PC 7424 and all of the pads failed after only one use (velcro on back of pad released). It felt like the glue holding the velcro on got too hot and melted. I used both a 5 inch backing plate and the 6 inch. (The supplier suggested the 6 inch backing plate) Am I doing something wrong? I have followed all of the instructions for use of PC 7424 from this and other forums. I don't feel like I am applying too much pressure. I let off if the pad stops spinning. Have there been problems with these pads? I would take them back to the supplier, but I tried to reglue them and feel bad returning them like that. I have ordered the new Edge 2K pads from AG, but I really hate that I wasted the money on the first set! Any help would be very much appreciated.

Are you sure they were edge pads..??......and what size wrer they??

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BILL
    Are you sure they were edge pads..??......and what size wrer they??
    Yes they are definitely the Edge buffing pads. The original ones. The # on the back of them is 15080 followed by the color code. But I think I may have figured out the problem. They seem to measure 8 inches. This is pad contact area. The paint supply store is the one who recommended these, but it seems the problem may be that they were just too big for the PC. I told him what machine I was using, but these may be better on a rotary. But should they have come apart like that with only one use? Glue melting, etc. I just hope the 2k's are better than these. I really don't like the LC pads. they seem to fly off when at higher speeds. Maybe it's the way that I am using the machine, but as I said before, I am following the directions for use from this and other forums.

Post Thanks / Like
    8" pads on a PC is way way way way way to big!

You must be doing something wrong if your LC pads fly off your PC.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe
    8" pads on a PC is way way way way way to big!

You must be doing something wrong if your LC pads fly off your PC.
    It's not as much as them flying off as coming off center. The cloth on the back doesn't seem to hold to the velcro as well. as when I got them. Only used about 10 times.

Ok so the 8 inch pads are way too big, but would that cause the excessive heat build up that is melting the glue on the edge pads?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by briansh73
    Yes they are definitely the Edge buffing pads. The original ones. The # on the back of them is 15080 followed by the color code. But I think I may have figured out the problem. They seem to measure 8 inches. This is pad contact area. The paint supply store is the one who recommended these, but it seems the problem may be that they were just too big for the PC. I told him what machine I was using, but these may be better on a rotary. But should they have come apart like that with only one use? Glue melting, etc. I just hope the 2k's are better than these. I really don't like the LC pads. they seem to fly off when at higher speeds. Maybe it's the way that I am using the machine, but as I said before, I am following the directions for use from this and other forums.
    8 Inch pads will not work on the PC or orbital machines at all. The glue is not meant for them. We make a 6 inch pad with special yellow glue just for this machine and heat issues and all of our E2K pads are made with the same glue. I would take them back to the store where they recommended this and have them replace them if they indeed recommended using the 8 inch pads on the pC.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Edge
    8 Inch pads will not work on the PC or orbital machines at all. The glue is not meant for them. We make a 6 inch pad with special yellow glue just for this machine and heat issues and all of our E2K pads are made with the same glue. I would take them back to the store where they recommended this and have them replace them if they indeed recommended using the 8 inch pads on the pC.
    Thank you for the response. I guess I should have asked here before listening to the store owner. Anyway, I tried to take them back today at lunch and he wouldn't take them. Said that since I tried to reglue them he wouldn't return them. He said that he sells those all the time to PC and orbital owners and local body shops and has never had any problems. Well, I guess I won't be doing any more business there. These store shouldn't be carrying products that they know nothing about!! AG has won me over. So what are these pads good for now? What kind of machine do these work on? I guess I'm just stuck with $60+ of worthless pads. Thanks again for your help. Oh by the way, my EDge2k pads just arrived. Wow, the shipping at AG is incredible!