autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for Tips, Tricks, and Techniques with the PC!

Well some of you know what happened to my PC during first use...so while the PC is being sent back and a new one then being shipped to me, i though this would be a good time for me to further educate myself with the PC!

I have watched the movies but they apperantly didn't help me...haha...so im looking for help from the ones on this site with experience with the PC!

I think an appropriate starting point would be with the pressure being placed on the PC during use! I would like to further breack down the pressure placed on the PC with the pads being used and compounds/polishes...LC CCS Pads...

Yellow, Orange, Green, Blue, Grayish-black, and White...and then the full line of XMT Products...

I think this is a good starting point...

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no given amount of pressure to be used with any combo. You just have to try different amounts and see what works. Just let up a little when you hear the RPM's bog down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Place the PC with pad on the car, see how it feels, now push down just slightly, you want to maintain that amount of pressure where it just slightly bogs yet is still working mainly under the weight of the machine. Like 5-10 lbs of pressure at the most.

I polish on speed 6 (Edge pads, don't try this with backing plate pad or your pad will turn into a U.F.O. lol), and move about an inch per second making overlapping passes, figure 8's etc.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks surfer!

So i guess 5-10 lbs. isn't alot of pressure...

I know that i can hold the PC lightly enough that the DA rotation seems to be free of any pressure restrictions...at the same time if i just hold the machine and the pressure is that of the machine, i can tell small restriction and pressure...after that, im just not able to determine the pressure that i am putting on the PC...

Ok so being that i have the LC CCS Pads i guess i should never have the speed on the PC above 5?

Move One Inch Per Second (i understand this but)...does this hold true with any pad and compound/polish combination (ie. yellow pad and XMT 4 or blue pad and 360)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner1659
    Thanks surfer!

So i guess 5-10 lbs. isn't alot of pressure...

I know that i can hold the PC lightly enough that the DA rotation seems to be free of any pressure restrictions...at the same time if i just hold the machine and the pressure is that of the machine, i can tell small restriction and pressure...after that, im just not able to determine the pressure that i am putting on the PC...

Ok so being that i have the LC CCS Pads i guess i should never have the speed on the PC above 5?

Move One Inch Per Second (i understand this but)...does this hold true with any pad and compound/polish combination (ie. yellow pad and XMT 4 or blue pad and 360)
    First of all you had a defective machine, so maybe the pressure you applied was not typical of what the pc could handle. Applying up to 15 lbs. should not be a problem. Iv'e run the pc with 15lbs. of pressure for hours with no heating problems. Using speed 6 is also not a problem. I don't think pc would put a speed 6 if it would cause damage to the machine. Yes, very slow for polishing like the video shows. Hope this helps and good luck with your new machine. I know how disappointed you must be.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks! i'm just trying to better understand the PC! so why not just ask those with the experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner1659
    thanks! i'm just trying to better understand the PC! so why not just ask those with the experience!
    All I was doing, was answering your question about speed and stating a fact. I apologize if you took it the wrong way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Roadrunner...use the wieght of the machine and just a touch of down pressure to begin to get the feel of it...you can polish at 6 at times no problems....

what I do is I polish at 5 ..thats all you really need...move the polisher at like 1 inch per second....what I do is I move ahead 6 inches...then polish back 3 inch so I double polish the area....
    so what you do is go 6 forward and three back and 6 forward again...

this has worked great for me..it may take a bit longer but you work the polish a few times on the first run....

I do this horizontal first....>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    .................................................. ...... <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

then I do it vertical ^
    ^
    ^
    ^ doing the same thing

do a 2x 2 area at a time....

take your polish and apply to the pad...spread the polish on the area at speed 2 ..then boost it to 5 work the area..on the last sweep go 6..just do a smooth sweep on 6 no need to back polish....

if you have a bad area..like a scratch.. work the area at 6....checking your work....do not hold on just the scratch area work area around it also so not to just cut in one spot.....feather it ...

always shut the machine off if you need to lift it off the paint...less chance of pad coming off...or polish fling.....

Just take your time..rome was not built in a day....

once you develope a technique it will be much faster...but when first learning take your time.............

first words you hear from a beginner is The swirls are still there.....only cause they did not let the pad and polish work the paint...or wrong combo....

Take your time and FIND what works for YOU....

AL

Post Thanks / Like
    if you want to get an idea of 10-15 lbs of pressure....take your pc to the bathroom scale and push down till it reaches that weight. <<<read this somewhere else but forget who....

Mechanical v. chemical....do you let the pad and force be the swirl remover or do you let the product do the work....I think you need to rely more on the product and worry less about pressure. I think that time is another factor that is often missed....the time to allow the product to break down, cure, set, or what ever can make a great difference in results.
    WWZS - What Would Zinn Say

Teacher by Day: Speed Dreamer at Night

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply's everyone!

RSurfer i was thanking you to for ur responce...and i was just saying that this is why i am asking, so that i can learn from poeple like you whom have more experience with the PC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast