autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Griots Random Orbital HD?

Just about to pull the trigger on purchasing a Griots Random Orbital. I am going to but the 3rd generation but not sure on the HD or not? It says it has a longer cord which doesnt matter to me because its for my owns vehicles in my garage so I already have extention cords. It does say the HD with the bigger cord allows maximum power. Is this to say if I buy the regulard and not the HD version it will not have as much power?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots Random Orbital HD?

I believe the description is just referring to the guage of the longer power cord - power should be the same either way (someone please correct me if I'm wrong here).

I bought the HD version (with the longer cord) not long ago and if I had to do it again probably wouldn't. For some reason the longer cord (for me) kinks up like crazy, whereas my extension cords don't seem to have the same problem.

Just my $.02. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

They have the same power. I believe when they say it will have maximum power is because when you use an extension cord that isn't the right gauge it has effects on the power delivery to the machine, I'm no expert electrician but I think that's how it goes. So if you use an appropriate extension cord with the correct gauge it will work just the same. Also I think the length of the extension has effect, like the longer the cord the bigger gauge it should be.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding power cords.... the longer the distance between outlet and device, coupled with a high amperage draw, the lower the gauge needed.

In practical terms (not technical), at 7 amps the basic model (18 gauge) is fine for most situations; the official rating for 5-7 amps with this gauge is around 25 feet.

Post Thanks / Like

chosenone

I just came across this crossroad myself and got some great opinions from members and based my choice on the simple fact that I can use a extension cord from my house if I need the additional length and save 15 bucks.

If your using this for personal use at the house and u have a couple outlets in the right place Id say save the extra dough and if you need the length down the road just purchase the appropriate extension cord if you find yourself needing it. plus its a win win you also have a good ext cord for anything else you may possibly need

Best of luck with your decison

and keep us posted on which one you choose..

I will be purchasing mine on the next 15 or 20% off and free shipping sale.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 10' corded GG6 and contacted Groit's Customer Service regarding the correct extension cord to use and they said it should be 16 guage.

Found a 2 way, 16 guage, 12' extension cord at Home Depot for $7.99 that I just taped permanently to the GG6 cord. Works great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Basically if you use an extension cord with a gauge that isn't large enough to supply the polisher with the required amperage/wattage. You run the risk of under powering the unit and even worse, damaging it. The funnel effect.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boi View Post
    Basically if you use an extension cord with a gauge that isn't large enough to supply the polisher with the required amperage/wattage. You run the risk of under powering the unit and even worse, damaging it. The funnel effect.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using AG Online

This is true but I think he got his answer ^ 16 guage extension cord

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    I have the 10' corded GG6 and contacted Groit's Customer Service regarding the correct extension cord to use and they said it should be 16 guage.

Found a 2 way, 16 guage, 12' extension cord at Home Depot for $7.99 that I just taped permanently to the GG6 cord. Works great.
    But the HD upgrade is a 25ft cord for $15, right? Seems like the better option if you're currently placing an order.... Eh?
    I see swirls everywhere!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jrocket View Post
    This is true but I think he got his answer ^ 16 guage extension cord
    LoL. I typed out the reply last night, but didnt hit send til this mourning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast