autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Upgrading to Griots?

I currently have a PC7424XP.

Will I notice that much of a difference upgrading to a Griots DA?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Upgrading to Griots?

Yes you will feel a difference. The Griots can spin 6" pads with no issues. If you can afford it look at the Flex 3401.

Ed.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Upgrading to Griots?

If you need to wait for the Flex it will be worth it. I just changed over from the PC DA to the Flex 3401 and its a night and day difference. The safety of the DA but the power of the rotary.
    "Born to Cruise, Forced to Work"

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I am just afraid the Flex is too much....maybe I am wrong...

Post Thanks / Like

more torque ...

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Anyway, used my Flex for the first time two weeks ago and thought I would share my thoughts. I really hesitated because of the money but eventually went for it. If budgetary constraints will allow, you will not be sorry. At some point between now and the end of the year, my guess is AG will give a 15% discount on just the Flex, (which I've seen briefly before) so if you can wait it would be worthwhile. Not a big difference between the PC and the GG - wait till the Flex is within your reach.

• You can obviously accomplish the same thing with any of the DA polishers given enough time and energy
    • IMO the Flex is somewhat faster - but not substantially - fewer passes get the same amount of work done. Generally only needed 4 passes w/Flex whereas I'm typically doing 6 w/PC and since this is my hobby and form of relaxation, I'm not trying to be particularly fast.
    • Less trauma on the body since there wasn't a need to press hard - more like guiding the machine and letting it, the pad & compounds/polish do all the work. Very different for me since I always felt the PC needed a little extra help.
    • Not nearly as loud and the tone is a lower frequency making it more tolerable then the PC - YMMV
    • Controls are very ergonomic and the variable speed trigger is a blessing.
    • Machine is longer & thinner and very comfortable to hold - PC is chunkier but note the machines are exactly the same weight. PC I would operate with one hand - not happening for any extended time with the Flex though it was easy to switch hands without turning of the buffer.
    • Easy to adjust speeds on the fly
    • cleaning the pads on the fly is made easier by the direct drive system
    • Self teaching so if your technique is poor, the machine walks on you. I see this as a positive since it was easy to correct. For someone familiar with using a DA polisher, you would be an ace within 15-30 minutes using the forced rotation Flex
    • Love the 5" hybrid pads designed for the machine - just awesome. This buffer would easily handle the 6.5" hybrid pads which would be a huge time saver for doing a boat - the 5" pad are better for the car imo. (hmmm, maybe the big pads for the side panels of the truck-probably worth experimenting)
    • Probably not the best beginner machine but is an exponential upgrade from the PC
    • Lots of fun to use - you know you have a quality tool in your hand.
    • Backing plates easy to change, though the factory mounting screw is 5mm and the LC interchangeable is 5.5mm allen head. PC is much quicker though I didn't really use that feature much. On the Flex I've already changed the BP 3x.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tofast4u2c View Post
    if you need to wait for the flex it will be worth it. I just changed over from the pc da to the flex 3401 and its a night and day difference. The safety of the da but the power of the rotary.
    +100

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TOFAST4U2C View Post
    If you need to wait for the Flex it will be worth it. I just changed over from the PC DA to the Flex 3401 and its a night and day difference. The safety of the DA but the power of the rotary.
    But it cannot spin a wool pad.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

i think Im gonna buy a new Meguiars g110v2 tonight and get the black friday deals they have going on here. not big on DA's cause I really prefer just using the rotary, but I need to get a better one anyway so tonight should be the night. get me some of the CCSS 6.5 inch pads and get back into it a little more. I know my guys would like to have a new toy in the shop this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Love my GG 6" and have used Optimum MF compound pads as well as the GG orange pads with a variety of polishes/compounds and have not been dissappointed one bit, as a matter of fact, I've just ordered the Euro foam pads from LC (blue and tangerine) and look forward to trying them out with Meg's UC and GG MP3 on an upcoming Chrysler minivan detail before the holidays.
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast