autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 9 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor Freight DA Polisher - New

Quote Originally Posted by louie View Post
    You can go smaller, but I have use the 6.5" pads for years without any issues, just a little slower in removing defects.
    Yeah, I have an enormous inventory of old pads, too, but if you're buying new it would seem logical to buy the smaller pads...and save the 6.5" for when he gets a Flex. Why wouldn't he just try one of these options--they are even cheaper.

Lake Country 5.5 Inch CCS Pads 6 Pack - Your Choice!

Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by louie View Post
    New backing plate, four compounding pads, 4 polishing pads, plus a pad for your LSP? The OP just spent $60 on an orbital, so I think he needs a lower cost option. Lake Country 6.5 Inch CCS Pads 6 Pack - Your Choice!

I keep my cars in pretty good shape, so I use more white pads than anything else. If I had to pick 3, it would be an orange, a white, and a black. If I had to pick six, I would add a yellow, another white, and a red.

You can go smaller, but I have use the 6.5" pads for years without any issues, just a little slower in removing defects.
    I think most here would agree that 5.5" flat pads are the most effective with any polisher you choose and that it really takes more than one or two pads to do an entire car without stopping to wash, rinse and dry pads (even with cleaning on the fly frequently).

But for discussion sake let's say you want to start with just 6 pads: 3 orange, 2 white and 1 blue. Normal pricing on a 6 pack of 5.5" LC flat pads is $35 with $18 for a 5" backing plate--Total $53. Normal pricing for a 6 pack of 6.5" flat pads is $50--so you have saved $3, but in the future you will need/want more pads so by making the initial extra investment of $3 you will save $15 everytime you buy an additional 6 pack of pads. Seems to make sense to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with 6.5" pads. If you start replacing backing plates and buying different pads you defeat the purpose of saving money
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I would go with 6.5" pads. If you start replacing backing plates and buying different pads you defeat the purpose of saving money
    That's my point above--by spending $3 more now you save more in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

So has anyone purchased this unit?

Not that I want one but wanted to see if anyone has actually used the unit.

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eandras View Post
    So has anyone purchased this unit?

Not that I want one but wanted to see if anyone has actually used the unit.

Ed
    My neighbor had picked up one and honestly,it performs/sounds/and looks similar to my old PCXP.
    Don't know about longevity but I asked him to let me know if he ever has any issue's with it?
    Team Flex PE14-2 150(Serial#0005)/3401/3403/XFE 7-15

Post Thanks / Like

I bough one , but I havent used it yet. I also paid 10.00 for the 2 year warrenty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A View Post
    I bough one , but I havent used it yet. I also paid 10.00 for the 2 year warrenty.
    Can you provide some info once you use it?

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

My Official Unofficial Review of the Harbor Freight DA polisher.

Disclaimer: I am a complete noob when it comes to DA machines. If you check my post history, you will see that I came to AG via an unprofessional paint correction on my daily driver. I am using the Meguiars Microfiber Correct Kit (5inch) and previously purchased a used PC7336? from a neighbor for 25$ wiith case. This is my first time using and DA and any detail product. I am amazed at the results...the swirls are disappearing! Just can't get to it all in one day and the weather here in Michigan is not going to be cooperating. Anyway...on to my unofficial review...

I too saw the HF DA polisher in their flyer and was curious. This was before I purchased the PC; but I purchased the PC first because, well, brand name albeit old technology. I purchased the HF DA polisher yesterday because I wanted to see if it would correct faster/better...or perform better....than my only experience again...PC7336. Sure I was expecting it to be more powerful because it claims to have a bigger engine...I'm not that into mechanics, but it seemed to be more powerful upon cautious startup (started at 1 and worked up to 6). It felt more powerful in my hands and that was awesome!

Here is what I noticed. After attaching the 6inch backing plate that came with the HFDA, I gave it a manual spin. It seemed to me that the backing plate did not spin completely flat. The hook-n-loop part seemed to "wobble" a bit. I double checked the install and it was fine. I went to my PC and gave the backing plate a manual spin (this was the backing plate that came with the Megs MF kit). It had a very small "wobble" but alot less than the HFDA. I flipped the switch on the HFDA and noticed the wobble. I flipped the switch on the PC and did not notice the wobble. I put the Megs kit backing plate on the HFDA and did not notice any wobble. I looked at the hook n loop plane of each and the HF one seemed a little kitty-wompus.

So in my opinion there seems to be a quality issue with the HFDA 6 inch backing plate. This was a selling point for me because then I would have two DAs and two backing plates (5 and 6 inch). My daiily driver is a Subaru WRX and using the 5 inch seems to be working good. However, my wife's daily driver is a Dodge Caravan and I want a 6 inch for that, but will not put a 6 inch on the PC due to power starving issues.

Since I am concerned about the quality of the HFDA backing plate, I would need to purchase a new one with my next AG order. That increases my costs of the HFDA which I paid 48$ after the 20%off and at that point, I think I'm getting closeer to a VIP deal for a Griots at AG (hint hint...again please).

It got too dark for me to try the HFDA for my detail tonight and am 95% sure I am going to return it....and wait for another DA VIP....hint hint hint

Again....just my official unofficial non-professional noob "detailer" opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SubieMonte View Post
    So in my opinion there seems to be a quality issue with the HFDA 6 inch backing plate. This was a selling point for me because then I would have two DAs and two backing plates (5 and 6 inch). My daiily driver is a Subaru WRX and using the 5 inch seems to be working good. However, my wife's daily driver is a Dodge Caravan and I want a 6 inch for that, but will not put a 6 inch on the PC due to power starving issues.
    Was the spacer washer in place with the HF plate? If the spacer washer is not in place the backing plate MAY not be sitting flat and wobble causing sever vibration most noticable at higher speeds.
    Fred R. Elias Jr.
    Warren, MI. 48091
    1-586-755-1245

Page 9 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959 ... LastLast