autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 61 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor Freight DA Polisher - New

Quote Originally Posted by Eandras View Post
    It was on BJ's Wholesale Club in September. It is now regular price. Buy it from autogeek.
    Amazon also had it on sale a couple of weeks ago for $80 including shipping. Have to watch the Gold Box Deals.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

At $60bucks, it's okay deal. There's no major feature gap b/t these and the brand names (flex is an exceptional).

For seasonal/hobbyist detailer, I believe HF rotary and DA sander is more than good enough. BTW, I own Makita rotary and PC DA polisher.

I own a HF air DA sander and it works well on numerous projects.
    Last edited by Trey T; 10-05-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mullet View Post
    If you do happen to check and they have them at the Summer Ave. store I may have to pick one up. I just don't usually have the time to stop by there to look around.
    Okay, I got a chance to stop by earlier and YES they do have them. They are on the west wall on the bottom shelf up towards the front of the store below the rotary polishers. They are listed for 59.99. I have no idea how to get the 20% off code?

If you see a polisher that doesn't have a box, don't grab that one. When I picked up the box it was in, the box fell apart, took a tumble and bounced off the concrete
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

^google "harbor freight slickdeal "

Post Thanks / Like

have no idea how to get the 20% off code?
    PM me your address. I'll mail you a 20% off coupon.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    PM me your address. I'll mail you a 20% off coupon.
    Thanks Pat!
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Waterford/Pontiac, Michigan HF has the DA in stock. Since I've never held a DA in my hands and curiosity got the best of me, I took it out of the box. It felt heavy. It didn't look "refined". I am looking at purchasing a DA to maintain our daily drivers a little bit, but I'm not convinced this is the machine I want to start with. I was so close to pulling the trigger on last weeks VIP deal but didn't. Now I'm not sure what to buy.

Post Thanks / Like

I went down to the local Harbor Freight to check out the Dual Action Polisher that is in the store. The Polisher is the same color as the Porter Cable and has an aluminum housing that holds the counter weight which is similar to the Porter Cable. The on/off switch is located on the side of the unit like the Griots but lacks the quick release.
    The weight of the unit is comparable between all units. The Griots and the Harbor Freight units come with a 6 inch hook and loop backing plate. The PC will require a backing plate. The PC and Harbor Freight units have a stick handle that can mount on either side of the unit. The Griots has a bale handle.
    The PC has a 4.8 amp motor where the Harbor Freight has a 5.7 amp motor with the Griots has the strongest at 7.8 amp. The duty cycle is not known for any of the units. The threads on the unit are all the same so backing plates are interchangeable.
    The PC is made in Mexico with the Griots and the Harbor Freight are made in China.
    The costs are as follows:
    Griots $129.99 plus shipping
    Porter Cable 124.99 plus backing plate 6” 19.99= 144.98 plus shipping
    Harbor Freight 79.99 – 20.00=59.99 -$6.00 (10% coupon) shipping 6.95 flat rate total $60.94.

This could be a good deal for someone who is starting out. The only thing that would be a concern is the quality. All companies have their share of issues with problem units but in most cases the companies stand behind them.
    I may go back tomorrow and get one and try it out. If it works good keep for my sons to use on their cars while I’m working on my truck.

Currently I have the following units:
    Flex 3401
    Griots 6”
    Griots 3”
    Porter Cable 7242XP

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

a quick google shows some 20% off coupons for HF. that's another $6 on top of what you quote above.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    It may come our of the same Chinese factory as Griots, as the same polisher as the Griots is also sold in Europe under the name Kestrel. That Chinese company also makes a lower power 5 amp version - I wouldn't be surprised if this is the one HF sells.

As for their stuff being junk, I think some of the hand tools like sockets, extensions, and ratchets are fine for weekend warrior auto repair. I don't require a $250.00 Snap On ratchet to change my spark plugs or oil once in a while. I think for the price the performance is more than fine.

Why do you think Griots can afford to give a lifetime warranty and replace a bunch of machines under this warranty...because they are probably buying them at 35-40.00.
    I went to one of the Chinese manufacturers sites and saw one that looked a lot like the griots...and they offered the same machine in about 10 different colors. These were all unbranded machines. so...

Page 7 of 61 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast