autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have a BP problem with GG 3" orbital??

Hey everyone,

Been a member for awhile, just havent posted in awhile to do school, work, blah blah, life i guess lol.
    Anyways, this weekend i had a job on a new ZL1. Customer bought it a few weeks ago, just been waiting for the rain to stop for me to get out there.
    So to the point, i was polishing the front bumper with my GG 3" orbital, its the older style but iv only used it maybe a half a dozen times, tops. So im working in the polish just about to do my last pass (had very little pressure on it, thank god) and all of a sudden my backing plate goes flying off and before you know it, i take the paint right off the bumper. I reacted fast as i could probably took a 1/4in of paint off, it could of been much, much worse if i have had more pressure on it.
    So after im done freaking out and i go look to see what happened, the threaded part that is attached to the backing plate had snapped right off.It didnt start to shake, no warning whatsoever and off it went. I do tighten all of my backing plates before i start a job, maybe i over tighten it??
    Just curious if this has happened to anyone else?
    Needless to say i wont be buying another one. This was my first GG product and my last. Thankfully these are very loyal customers and they werent overly upset about it. I cant wait to see how much this mistake is going to cost me.
    "She'll Buff Out"

Addicted To Details
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone have a BP problem with GG 3" orbital??

Wow that's unfortunate. I've never use one guess I'd opt for a drill and a 3" pad if I felt the need for one. Full respray expect a $500-600 price tag. $200-300 for a blended respray. I love the modern convinces of new cars but hate the bumpers. Give me chrome from the early days anytime. Hope it works out okay for you and your client.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Dude that is scary stuff!
    Good thing your customer relationship is close. Although on a ZL1 I cannot imagine a situation where I'd not offer to have it repaired.

Post Thanks / Like

Talked to the body shop today. The car is already being repaired. The owner said he was fine with a blend but i insisted that the bumper be removed and resprayed even if it cost a few hundred more. I just want it done right. rmagnus, you were right on the money price wise. The funny thing is the owner of the body shop said the paint looked amazing and asked if i could do some of his black cars his polishers cant seem to get swirl free and he wont charge me for the bumper repair. Might even use me as a regular for his black cars. Looks like a negative turned into a positive!
    "She'll Buff Out"

Addicted To Details
    Sonoma County, CA