autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Griots DA Polisher

So i have done a few weeks of researching and I have almost decided to purchase the GG 6" polisher (I use "almost" since I know I will change my mind few more times) but I have one question. I found some youtube videos of this polisher in action and I noticed in each one the machine is hardly turning the pad. As you can see from the video link posted below, the pad is not rotating even close to the rated specs. Is this expected and, if so, how can this possibly remove swirls?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m7LpC1jkgE]Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital: Polishing Basics - YouTube[/video]

I would also like to hear anyone's comparison between he GG and PC who have operated both since I have not yet hit the purchase button. To me, considering they both cost the same and the GG has more power and a lifetime warranty, the choice is simple. But, if you have used both and have input I would be interested in hearing.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots DA Polisher

If you prime the pad with polish and use a lower speed it will grab and not spin. Kick it up to 5-6 and you won't any problems. Get the Griot, no question. Yes, I have both machines and the PC is now a backup.

Post Thanks / Like

You do not have to worry about the Griot's DA not spinning since it is the most powerful DA. I can't stop it from spinning with very good pressure on speed 6, 5.5 and 5. The PC is the easiest of the DA orbitals to get to stop spinning.

Post Thanks / Like

If you notice in the video, at one point the pad actually starts to spin backward. This is caused by applying to LITTLE pressure. I've used both machines and they both have their pro's and con's. These are generalities but the Griot's has more power but the PC tends to be more reliable. I think their both great. You can't really go wrong with either.
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Mike Phillips

No matter which polisher you purchase, to remove defects when using foam pads you want to be on the 5.6 speed range.

with the PC and the Megs you want to be on the 6 for sure, with the Griot's you can run 5-6, it definitely has more power. A couple of years ago I described it as a safe version of a rotary buffer. This is assuming you're using 5.5" thin foam pads.

See what I wrote in post #3 of this thread back in 2009

Pictures from Autogeek's Roadshow Class in Dallas, Texas - November 14th, 2009

While Nick was working on the front clip with the Flex 3403 Lightweight Rotary Buffer, I knocked out the roof, deck-lid and the driver's side doors...

Something I noticed was as long as I held the pad flat the new Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher worked just like a rotary buffer. I couldn't stop it from rotating the pad and it was removing swirls and scratches like nobody's business and unlike a rotary buffer it was so easy to use. While Nick was down below on the 3403's low setting, I ran the ROP on the 6.0 setting.

Swirled-out 1954 Mercedes-Benz

Cropped out of the above original

WG TSR with a Green Kompressor Cutting Foam Pad on the GG ROP Speed Setting 6.0

After

Same section only zoomed in on the Van in the reflection.

I still find myself reaching for the PC most of the time when using a DA but most of my DA work is final finishing or applying waxes by machine.

For any major correction work I'll tend to use the rotary buffer or the Flex 3401

If you get the Griot's, be sure to also get a 5" backing plate so you can use 5.5" foam buffing pads. The backing plate that comes with the Griot's polisher measure 5 3/4" in diameter across the face and it sticks out past 5.5" buffing pads so there's the risk of running the backing plate into the paint or components if you're not careful.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the G110V2 and to be honest I have to really place my body weight onto it to stop it from rotating even on speed 5. Perhaps I got a good one...

That said, I certainly have noticed that Mike does often use Porter Cable, and perhaps mainly for the reasons he mentioned above. However, noticing how often he uses it has caused me to give even more consideration to it even if it's only to do fine polishing. So, I went to Lowe's a to get a feel for the model they carry, which is an identicle polisher except for the model numbers. This can be verified on the Porter Cable website. I even posted a comparison chart on here somewhere. Just do a search for my posts.

The reason I mention this is because even after I bought my Meg's polisher I still feel that the Porteer Cable is the most comfortable in my hands. I wouldn't give my Meg's up for it, but the Porter Cable is just different and I like it.
    Bill

Mike Phillips

The Meguiar's unit has come a long ways since when they first introduced it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post

The reason I mention this is because even after I bought my Meg's polisher I still feel that the Porter Cable is the most comfortable in my hands.
    Me too, I especially like it for machine applying a wax or sealant to vertical panels like shown here,

1939 Lincoln Zephyr - Swirls Removed - Modeled by Nicole

What's nice about DA Polishers like the PC, Megs and Griot's units is they are light enough and compact in size enough that most people can easily hold them with one hand which makes machine applying the wax fast and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    I wouldn't give my Meg's up for it, but the Porter Cable is just different and I like it.
    I predict we will continue to see improvements in both the Meguiar's unit and the Griot's unit, heck I was asked for and submitted my suggestions to Griot's on how to improve their polisher probably 6 months ago and I know they were seeking input from others as well...

Porter Cable? Who knows if they're doing anything? In my opinion, if they were smart they would have someone in their organization assigned to monitor the heartbeat on detailing discussion forums, I know I do.

Technology in the detailing world is continually improving, I've seen more improvements in pads, products and tools in the last 3-4 years than ever before and the net results are now days anyone can get professional quality results if they just get a little education first and that's what this forum is all about.

So expect to see some improvement into the future...

Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TP143 View Post

So i have done a few weeks of researching and I have almost decided to purchase the GG 6" polisher (I use "almost" since I know I will change my mind few more times) but I have one question.

I found some youtube videos of this polisher in action and I noticed in each one the machine is hardly turning the pad.

Don't know if you've decided or not or pulled the trigger and made a purchase or not but one thing I need to point out and that's the first version of polisher Griot's sold was a DA Sander but it didn't have enough power to rotate a foam pad under pressure.

MOST DA SANDERS DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER TO ROTATE PADS UNDER PRESSURE.

It was the Porter Cable 7424 and the Porter Cable 7336 DA Sanders that were discovered to have enough power to rotate foam pads under pressure that started the entire electric DA Polisher craze back in the early 1990's.

After the electric DA Polishers popularity hit critical mass a number of companies jumped on the bandwagon but the tools they jumped on the bandwagon with didn't work and one of those tools that didn't work was the first version of the Griot's Garage DA Polisher.

I had a guy bring one to one of my Meguiar's classes thinking it was broke. He asked me to test it out and I did and then told him it wasn't broke but it only had enough power to do what it was originally designed to do and that was rotate and oscillate a thin disc of sandpaper, not a thick, foam pad.

The polisher being sold by Griot's today is designed after the Porter Cable design and it is in fact a very capable DA Polisher.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your contribution! I will be purchasing the GG, along with the Wolfgang kit and I will surely let everyone know what I think of the results. The weather in MT doesn't allow for me to start my project until mid-May so I won't have an update until then.

Thanks again, this is a great site!