autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DA Polisher Articles - Help for Newbies to Machine Polishing

Good lord Mike! That is one heck of a write up!!!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

This is an awesome thread! It basically condenses everything you taught us in class in one place.

Congrats on your anniversary with AG!

Thank you for all that you do for us.

Regards,

Randy

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    Good lord Mike! That is one heck of a write up!!!!
    It's basically just a compilation of articles I've written. I just tried to take most of the key points a person would need to go from pulling the polisher out of the box and getting going on buffing out their car.

I haven't been on the forums much because I've taken this same concept, that is taking articles I've already written, updating them and then putting them into an organized how-to e-book.

It's incredibly time-intensive... but that's what I've been up to lately and as soon as I get this first one done I have a few more to write.

Quote Originally Posted by RJWJR141 View Post
    Mike,

This is an awesome thread! It basically condenses everything you taught us in class in one place.

Congrats on your anniversary with AG!

Thank you for all that you do for us.

Regards,

Randy

Gee thanks Randy...

Sometimes I feel guilty to have such an awesome job...

Post Thanks / Like

AWESOME write up Mike!!!!!!

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dirt-B-Gone Mobile Detailing
    www.HandWashAndWax.com
    facebook.com/DBGMobileDetailing John Wells

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I haven't been on the forums much because I've taken this same concept, that is taking articles I've already written, updating them and then putting them into an organized how-to e-book

An e-book?

Bill

Regular Member Seth@NWCDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is Exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

How fast is the backing pad supposed to rotate when polishing?

I watched the "section pass" video and it looks like the black line is rotating very slowly, about 60 rpm.

I just used a DA polisher for the first time today, and applying 15-20 pounds pressure seems to make the pad rotate slowly like the video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q70g83mnTn4]How to do a "Section Pass" with a Porter Cable 7424XP - YouTube[/video]

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Any contemporary update to this info? In the past I did all this by hand which is hard work. it is unlikely Meguairs is going to be continuing with their own machine. Also, where do I look for basics since your site - and others - push product first? I want to remove haze and oxidation by practicing on one of my vehicles as I will order a DA polisher this week. Need duplicates of a several pads, pads that are one inch greater than diameter of backing place bottom, and no more than two chemicals (polishes) not including wax. Also, this "Clay thing" is confusing. Some detailers recommend it and others don't??

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great info. Need this for my upcoming detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeemer44 View Post
    Any contemporary update to this info? In the past I did all this by hand which is hard work. it is unlikely Meguairs is going to be continuing with their own machine. Also, where do I look for basics since your site - and others - push product first? I want to remove haze and oxidation by practicing on one of my vehicles as I will order a DA polisher this week. Need duplicates of a several pads, pads that are one inch greater than diameter of backing place bottom, and no more than two chemicals (polishes) not including wax. Also, this "Clay thing" is confusing. Some detailers recommend it and others don't??
    1. The information in that video is still 100% correct no need to update anything. They don't really push products here - there is more info & how to's here than anywhere and they are available for free. Yes, they do sell stuff - so they probably are going to tell you to buy Souverän over Zymöl. However, the products sold here are all high quality - you can't go wrong buying products here.

The difference between buying products here and some other places is the vast selection of high quality products. If you buy from Joe's # 1 Detailing Products your going to be stuck with all of Joe's products - which may are may not all be class leading products. Here you get to pick from the best of the best in each class.

2. The condition of the paint your are working on will depend on what you need to order - 2 polishes may do it or may not.

3. Clay (or alternative) is necessary to decontaminate paint from bonded contaminates. If a detailer or detailing site tells you not to use clay - get outta there - they are clueless. Iron X (or similar) is likely necessary as well if never used on the vehicle.

4. Regardless is Meg's or anyone else d/c's their machine - it still works fine. If that's what you want to get - get it. You can polish paint to perfection with any of the machines sold here with the correct accessories. Technique is more important that what machine you pick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12