autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Decal Pin Stripes & The PC ???

Quick Questions.... I'm in the middle of detailing my truck. I have "decal pin stripes" on the sides and on the tailgate.
    Do I Need To Tape Over Them Before I Polish My Truck With The PC? I'm planning on using the XMT #2 first with an Edge 2K Orange Pad, then XMT#1 with a Blue Pad followed by XMT Finishing Glaze...... Can I / Should I Follow the Glaze with a Paint Sealant (I have Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant) I want to top it all off with Souveran Paste....
    Honey.....
    Where's the Dog???

What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal..... Albert Pike

Post Thanks / Like
    I would tape over them just in case. You never know what can happen, and it is best to be safe. As for following the glaze with a sealant... it all depends. Some combinations don't work and they often sacrifice durability. I haven't used that combo specifically so I cannot tell you. You could go sealant/glaze/wax if you want though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried the XMT 2 with the green pad yet?

Id go with the sealant/ glaze/ then wax like abrcrombe said.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never even heard of using XMT 1 on a blue pad? The blue pad seems way to soft to be able to withstand pressure that XMT 1 would require? I've always used Edge's orange with XMT 1 with great success. I usually use Green pad with XMT 2, but it does work well as a finishing polish on orange.

If you do use XMT 2 on orange, you definately won't need to use XMT 1 if all your swirls got out. It'll finish up very nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks allot! Man I LOVE THIS PLACE!! Help 24 x 7 OK great, that's what I was thinking too.(about the stripes)...I'm using the orange right now with #2 (orange instead of green because the swirls didn't seem deep at all, heard the less aggressive the better, "better 2x with # 2 than 1x with #3" thought I'd stay with that line of thought. I hope I got that right. When are the blue/white pads best used? Sealant/Glaze-Wax?

This is my first time with my PC and I really want to get it right. With your help I feel much more confident.

Thanks Again
    Brian
    Last edited by Ridgeliner; 01-14-2007 at 12:39 AM.
    Honey.....
    Where's the Dog???

What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal..... Albert Pike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgeliner
    Thanks allot! Man I LOVE THIS PLACE!! Help 24 x 7 OK great, that's what I was thinking too.(about the stripes)...I'm using the orange right now with #2 (orange instead of green because the swirls didn't seem deep at all, heard the less aggressive the better, "better 2x with # 2 than 1x with #3" thought I'd stay with that line of thought. I hope I got that right. When are the blue/white pads best used? Sealant/Glaze-Wax?

Thanks Again
    Brian
    I haven't even used my Blue one yet. The only thing I've used my white pad for is buffing off waxes/sealants since I like to apply them by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    For the first time working with a PC, I really think that's very wise counsel.(applying by hand).
    I'm going to take it too!
    Thanks
    Brian
    Honey.....
    Where's the Dog???

Post Thanks / Like
    Id tape them just to be safe

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I thought the green was less aggressive then the orange, my fault. You're going about it the right way.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

No problems 03gt, I appreciate all the help I'm getting, I'm still trying to figure out the different "levels" of the 2k pads. Green-White and what to use with each (I printed off a sheet from AG that I'm using as a guide ) .... I have figured out that I've been using too much pressure and need to correct some problems I created . If I don't get it in the next couple of hrs. I'll post some pics. and get "The AG Pros " help. OK, now after the polishing is complete, I follow with a sealant, then glaze? Which pad would I use for that, the blue?
    Honey.....
    Where's the Dog???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast