autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking need help picking a DA polisher

Hey guys! I am new to this forum and i have been reading around on what are some good Da's so far i found that i really am starting to like the griot's garage 6" and the porter cable xp (Wolfgang Duo & Porter Cable 7424XP FREE BONUS)

anyone that has tried both of these could recommend me any and your experiences with it or any problems of some sort that you've had.

I am a user with 0 experience being very young and going to be making some money from my parents to remove swirls of their not so old cars (2007+).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: need help picking a DA polisher

I have not had experience with either of these, but I do like the meguiars g220, It has cruise control so its a slower start and is also good because there are many products and pads to use with it
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the GG6 for several years and my father inlaw has one he got for Christmas they are awesome tools. I'm not a fan of kits, I suggest you buy the tool and build your own. The GG6 comes with a 6" backing plate, I strongly suggest you buy a 5" backing plate and either the 5.5" Hydro tech or the 5.5" flat pads (not the CCS pads) to go with it.

Bill1243 pointed out that the Meguries polisher has lots of products and pads to use with it, you can use any pads and products used with the Meg polisher with either the PC/XP or the GG6 so that's not a factor at all!

I suggest the GG6 out of the polishers you listed.
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    I have not had experience with either of these, but I do like the meguiars g220, It has cruise control so its a slower start and is also good because there are many products and pads to use with it
    yeah! i was considering the meguiar's but i've read around on different sites that some of their machines had problems after that 1 year of warranty was over and they were just stuck with a dead machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskincolt View Post
    I've had the GG6 for several years and my father inlaw has one he got for Christmas they are awesome tools. I'm not a fan of kits, I suggest you buy the tool and build your own. The GG6 comes with a 6" backing plate, I strongly suggest you buy a 5" backing plate and either the 5.5" Hydro tech or the 5.5" flat pads (not the CCS pads) to go with it.

Bill1243 pointed out that the Meguries polisher has lots of products and pads to use with it, you can use any pads and products used with the Meg polisher with either the PC/XP or the GG6 so that's not a factor at all!

I suggest the GG6 out of the polishers you listed.
    yeah! i agree with you on that one! i am really leaning towards the GG6 over the pcxp because of the lifetime warranty they offer!.. but i also like the pcxp because of it's proven reliability and life on the tool. could you send me the links of the pads and compounds? (i am really new to this and have very little experience on which pads and compounds ) thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

hey guys, i finally decided i want the griot's over the pcxp because of it's lifetime warranty and the fact that i wont use it as much so out of the 3 year warranty for the pxcp ill prob use it like ... 4-7 times.. with griot's i have that lifetime warranty so if something goes wrong and i barely use it .. i won't have to buy another one! i'll have my money's worth the whole life of the product

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I say the Griot 6" is the best DA available.... also the cheapest

Post Thanks / Like

I've had great luck with my 1st generation Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher. Many here know how faithful I am toward the newest generation Porter Cable 7424xp but "Houston, We Have a Problem"

A few weeks ago my son-in-law Tom and I attended the PoorBoy's World detailing Weekend at their warehouse in West Nyack, NY. We had a great weekend I surprised him with a brand new Porter Cable 7424xp polisher I bought from PoorBoy's World before we left on Sunday.

Tom's only put about 4 to 5 hours on this new machine prior to today. About an hour into polishing his new Jeep, sparks, smoke, and a bit of flame came out the vents!! ....... Say it ain't so!!!

Not what I would have expected from a quality machine.

While every manufacturer experiences defects and failures I'm a bit put back by this experience.

I sent Chris, Pockets, at PoorBoy's World a private message a few hours ago and I'm waiting for a reply as I'd like them to replace it....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fenderpicks View Post
    I say the Griot 6" is the best DA available.... also the cheapest
    yeah i heard how griot's 1st gen use to be somewhat in the middle.. but now they stepped their game up and it's just quality with a lifetime warranty! and i also agree i like the price of it too!

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    I've had great luck with my 1st generation Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher. Many here know how faithful I am toward the newest generation Porter Cable 7424xp but "Houston, We Have a Problem"

A few weeks ago my son-in-law Tom and I attended the PoorBoy's World detailing Weekend at their warehouse in West Nyack, NY. We had a great weekend I surprised him with a brand new Porter Cable 7424xp polisher I bought from PoorBoy's World before we left on Sunday.

Tom's only put about 4 to 5 hours on this new machine prior to today. About an hour into polishing his new Jeep, sparks, smoke, and a bit of flame came out the vents!! ....... Say it ain't so!!!

Not what I would have expected from a quality machine.

While every manufacturer experiences defects and failures I'm a bit put back by this experience.

I sent Chris, Pockets, at PoorBoy's World a private message a few hours ago and I'm waiting for a reply as I'd like them to replace it....
    and wow this was the first time i read something on this forum about the pcxp having problems that involved smoking,sparks, and flames. usually it is something like something internally breaks. i will definitely keep this in mind!

but i think i may be going with griot's for that lifetime warranty. and i hope that pcxp gets replaced! considering it's use was about 4-7 hours totaled

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrx495 View Post
    and wow this was the first time i read something on this forum about the pcxp having problems that involved smoking,sparks, and flames. usually it is something like something internally breaks. i will definitely keep this in mind!

but i think i may be going with griot's for that lifetime warranty. and i hope that pcxp gets replaced! considering it's use was about 4-7 hours totaled
    Most of the failures I've read about are focused to the arbor shaft breaking and "may" be related to not using the rubber spacer between it and the backing plate...

I haven't seen the machine itself but I would like to take a look at it to see if there's something else going on. Chances are this is just a bad machine that got out of the factory and unfortunately Tom ended up with it.

This experience wouldn't deter me from buying another.. When my first generation Porter Cable 7424 dies I'll just grab an XP and move on....

Once way or another it'll be replaced either through PoorBoy's World or Porter Cable....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Most of the failures I've read about are focused to the arbor shaft breaking and "may" be related to not using the rubber spacer between it and the backing plate...

I haven't seen the machine itself but I would like to take a look at it to see if there's something else going on. Chances are this is just a bad machine that got out of the factory and unfortunately Tom ended up with it.

This experience wouldn't deter me from buying another.. When my first generation Porter Cable 7424 dies I'll just grab an XP and move on....

Once way or another it'll be replaced either through PoorBoy's World or Porter Cable....
    thats the area i read about also of it breaking, and i'm guessing your a big pc fan? i'd purchase the pc xp but i live in an apartment complex and i read around that the griot's is quieter so thats why i am aiming for that and once again with the lifetime warranty!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast