autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like
    The above posters were spot on from where I sit. Granted this was only my second time using a PC, but when I did my car it took me 14 hours to do the exterior so I can understand the frustration on the time aspect. I expected 6-8 at most. But for me I feel safter with the PC. Sounds like you should return the PC (has to be defective as mine hardly vibrates even at 6) and get a rotary. Or you get both so you can use the PC for final polishing as I've seen many people say that they finish better/easier than a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenrd
    Back to the OP, I tend to agree.

The PC is great for starting out. It's really tough to do damage with it. About the worst you can do is nothing...working polishes with the PC takes a very long time.

From what I've read on the forums, and from my own experience, the most common problem with using the PC is not working the polishes in for an appropriate amount of time. It can take ALOT of time and patience to get significant swirls/marring out with the PC. That was the learning curve for me. I didn't realize I had to sit there on a particular panel for so long, then repeat indefinitely until I acheived the results I desired.

But I'm glad I spent all of that time on the PC before moving on to a rotary. The PC allows for mistakes that the rotary doesn't. It was a GREAT learning tool that does produce results, albeit with some extra effort.

I still use the PC for tight spots, for relatively unmarred finishes, or bodywork areas that are too delicate for the rotary (high spots, edges). But I find it very tough to go back to the PC knowing how much more efficient the rotary is - in both speed and quality of the final finish.
    How long do you think you used the PC before moving onto a rotary? There must be a lot of PCs out there not being used or used often.

Howard

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan
    How long do you think you used the PC before moving onto a rotary? There must be a lot of PCs out there not being used or used often.

Howard
    Just under a year. But I do still use my PC. I got the rotary mainly as a time-saver for tackling badly marred cars.

After moving on to detailing cars other than mine, and getting paid to do so, I found polishing via PC on badly marred cars took way too long in order to get the results I was after. I detailed one car that had some fairly major issues. I did pass after pass after pass on one area. I probably spent 30 - 40 minutes on a 2x2 section using every polish I had, but I just could not remove all the defects. It would improve with each pass, but just too slowly. At the rate I was going it would've taken two days to get the finish swirl-free. I simply had to accept that I could not get it any better given the time and move on to the rest of the vehicle. The owner was very happy with the results, but I wasn't. I really wanted to improve the finish even more. That's when I decided to purchase a rotary.

I'm by no means a master of the rotary, but I'm comfortable with it on large, relatively flat areas of the car. Any raised or sharply curved areas still see the PC, at least until I have more time behind the rotary.

Also, with some 4" pads the PC is great for removing defects in hard to get places. I think there will always be a place for the PC in my detailing regimen.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234