autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have the experience like others to tell you what to do, but I would have thought that using SSR2 and SSR1 both on the Orange pad would have worked. When I did mine (black), my second step was Optimum Polish to remove the micromarring left by the Hyper Compound, and it worked great with the orange pad.

You seem to be going slow enough from the latest videos, but one thing I see is some pretty erradic passes. And how many "laps" are you doing? Polishing is like mowing the lawn, where you make one straight line and then on the next lap you overlap by about half the pad. You should be going across the panel, then up and down, then across again, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a black Trans Am and got the hazing on the hood the 1st time I used it. I was using an orange (light cutting) pad. I have since just used the white pad and go much slower with a lil more pressure and it's getting better, but still working on it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure if I tried SSR2 w/ orange/SSR1 w/ orange combo or not. I'll give it a try in the morning. My passes in the video may have been erratic cause I was doing it one-handed. The polish seems to go clear pretty quickly so I don't know if I'm not using enough or if it is breaking down quickly.
    I'm going to try a few new pad/polish combos(assuming there are any left) tomorrow and hope I get it right.

Does all micromarring look the same? For example: does the micromarring patterns look different if I didn't break down the polish as opposed to say, polishing too long(dry polishing)? I was hoping that maybe the 'kind' of micromarring I had would give me a clue as to what I'm doing wrong.

BTW: Will Pro Polish do anything to improve the micromarring?

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=06GT]I'm not sure if I tried SSR2 w/ orange/SSR1 w/ orange combo or not. I'll give it a try in the morning. My passes in the video may have been erratic cause I was doing it one-handed. The polish seems to go clear pretty quickly so I don't know if I'm not using enough or if it is breaking down quickly.
    I'm going to try a few new pad/polish combos(assuming there are any left) tomorrow and hope I get it right.

Does all micromarring look the same? For example: does the micromarring patterns look different if I didn't break down the polish as opposed to say, polishing too long(dry polishing)? I was hoping that maybe the 'kind' of micromarring I had would give me a clue as to what I'm doing wrong.

BTW: Will Pro Polish do anything to improve the micromarring?[/quot

Good question. Does all micromarring look the same? I am worried I could polish too long - hence it becoming dry polishing? Seems like such a fine line....

Post Thanks / Like
    06GT,
    I am also new to this and am still in the learning process also, but I can tell you that after I had done some research I ordered my PC and Poorboys SSR2.5 and SSR1 and did my entire truck, not looking close at it and then realized the the whole truck had the micro marring. I also kept trying and trying and could not get rid of it, I was going crazy, the truck is a Black 06 Ram 2500. I finally got fed up and placed another order and this is what I figured out. It was a little more expensive but I ordered the Wolfgang swirl remover and finishing glaze(which does have abrassives). I used the swirl remover on an orange pad, followed by a white pad with the finishing glaze, then a grey pad with the finishing glaze. I am not sure what others think about the Wolfgang products on here, but I was very impressed with my results, truck looks better now than the day I bought it. The Wolfgang products were more expensive, but was well worth me getting my truck fixed, I thought I had ruined it. I am sure it was something I was doing wrong, being a newbee, but I had the same results with the Poorboys polish. the Wolfgang with the Poorboys EX-P and wow!!!! It took a lot of time experimenting and probably some years of of my life, but I finally figured out what worked for me. I did not think I could ever get my truck to look that good, I will try to post some pics.

Fog Runner

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that a Lake Country pad? You need 15-25lbs of pressure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a picture of my passenger door when I was finished, I don't have a before picture but it had marring just like you are talking about. I know many others on here can do much much better, but for a beginner I am pretty happy with these results. It did take a long time though.

Am I using my PC correctly (vid) 56k ouch!-clip_image002-jpg

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, count me in as someone not overly impressed with the PC buffing system. I'm glad it works for a lot of you guys, but its painfuly slow and to get concours results you need 2 to 3 different polishes and steps to get a desired result.

It has turned out to be an overpriced orbital wax applier for me. I didn't have the time, nor the patience to spend 5-7 minutes on an 18X18 area, doing a whole car, only to have to switch pads and compound to remove micro-marring on my black finish.

I said screw it, and took my rotary with a black pad, 3M Perfect-it II polish and went over my whole car in less than an hour. No swirls, no marring, no nothing. It also let me remove small scratches and defects in one pass, vs. changing 3 pads and spending an hour with the PC.

I did go back over the car lightly with the PC and a black pad using Pinnacle ultra-fine compound, which seemed to "brighten" the finish. I guess the PC is good in that area.

Next step is Pinnacle Caranuba.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Saleen281
    Well, count me in as someone not overly impressed with the PC buffing system. I'm glad it works for a lot of you guys, but its painfuly slow and to get concours results you need 2 to 3 different polishes and steps to get a desired result.

It has turned out to be an overpriced orbital wax applier for me. I didn't have the time, nor the patience to spend 5-7 minutes on an 18X18 area, doing a whole car, only to have to switch pads and compound to remove micro-marring on my black finish.

I said screw it, and took my rotary with a black pad, 3M Perfect-it II polish and went over my whole car in less than an hour. No swirls, no marring, no nothing. It also let me remove small scratches and defects in one pass, vs. changing 3 pads and spending an hour with the PC.

I did go back over the car lightly with the PC and a black pad using Pinnacle ultra-fine compound, which seemed to "brighten" the finish. I guess the PC is good in that area.

Next step is Pinnacle Caranuba.
    Interesting.........can you define "micromarring"? Is it something created by the PC, does it look like swirls or does it look like a dull streak? I am trying to get a game plan together for next Spring as I am new to the idea of removing swirls. This is the first negative comment I heard about the PC, never heard it was just too slow a process. I guess you are expierenced with a rotary as I read if done wrong it could do a whole lotta harm to the paint.

Thanks,
    Howard

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan
    Interesting.........can you define "micromarring"? Is it something created by the PC, does it look like swirls or does it look like a dull streak? I am trying to get a game plan together for next Spring as I am new to the idea of removing swirls. This is the first negative comment I heard about the PC, never heard it was just too slow a process. I guess you are expierenced with a rotary as I read if done wrong it could do a whole lotta harm to the paint.

Thanks,
    Howard
    Yeah, it is tiny "swirls" in the paint. I don't mean it to be a negative comment- the PC works great for 90% of this forum. So, it is successful at what it does for the most part- IF you have the time and patience to swap out compounds and polishes.

I am very experienced with a rotary- I cut and buff my paint jobs on my custom H-D's, street rods, etc that I paint in my shop. And not to be egotistical, but there isn't anyone who can take a PC and give me a better finish than what I can get with a rotary, not even myself. And damn if I haven't tried. LOL.

Bottom line is the rotary takes out swirls and defects much faster and efficiently than the PC can, without the need to change multiple pads or compounds. The downside is that a rotary in the hands of a rookie could mean burned edges or worse.

I just prefer to get the defects out and move on.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast