autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help a newbie choose a polisher.

Hi,
    I am a new member as of today who has been trolling the forums ans researching articles over the past two weeks regarding DA polishers. I am looking for a recommendation for a DA for myself who has no experience. I have only applied wax, etc. by hand in the past. Let me tell you what I am trying to accomplish.
    First, I have a new SUV which the first new vehicle I have had in a long time. I am determined to keep it in great condition and started researching what I need to do.
    Second, I have an older van that has been neglected. There are many superficial scratches, swirls, etc. and I would like to get that in shape.

I suppose I can do some things by hand, but I love tools and am really interested in learning new things. I am very interested in getting a DA after reading articles and watching youtube videos regarding technique. I will likely start off working on the van until I am comfortable using anything on the new suv.
    I would like to get some advice regarding a good polisher for a newbie that will get the job done and not let me do any damage. I have narrowed my choice to the Porter Cable 7424 (price and reputation the primary factor) and the Griot's (great reviews and warranty). I realize that I will likely only be using whatever I choose a few times per year. Just looking for some input.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help a newbie choose a polisher.

Hi, Newbie here too trying to make the same decision. I like the power and warranty of the GG but I read a thread yesterday where people have had a lot of problems with it. I like the handle on the GG also, but the PC seems like it has less problems. So I'm hoping someone will make this decision for me because I will analyze it to death.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by NJAlex View Post

Hi,

First, I have a new SUV which the first new vehicle I have had in a long time. I am determined to keep it in great condition and started researching what I need to do.
    Second, I have an older van that has been neglected. There are many superficial scratches, swirls, etc. and I would like to get that in shape.
    The best thing to do with a new vehicle is to put it on a "Regular Maintenance Program". It's only when you neglect the appearance over time that it goes down hill.

Tackling the Van first will give you the confidence to tackle the new S.U. V.

Quote Originally Posted by NJAlex View Post
    I have narrowed my choice to the Porter Cable 7424 (price and reputation the primary factor) and the Griot's (great reviews and warranty). I realize that I will likely only be using whatever I choose a few times per year. Just looking for some input.

Thanks!
    The Griot's has more power than both the Porter Cable PC7424XP and the Meguiar's DA Polisher but if you stick with 5.5" pads all these tools will work. The PC has a time proven track record for holding up over time under heavy use, the other two tools may meet this mark also but first some time has to go by.

Quote Originally Posted by S2K View Post
    Hi, Newbie here too trying to make the same decision. I like the power and warranty of the GG but I read a thread yesterday where people have had a lot of problems with it. I like the handle on the GG also, but the PC seems like it has less problems. So I'm hoping someone will make this decision for me because I will analyze it to death.
    The Porter Cable DA Polisher started out as a "Wood Sander", here's a wood sanding project I did back in 2005 using a PC and 220 Grit Sandpaper.

I recently acquired my old desk from work after remodeling took place. It's really big, solid as concrete and in dire need of refinishing. I really like this desk because it old, it came from Meguiar's and it's huge! Plenty of room for printers, products, monitors, etc.

I'm not much of a wood person, as in refinishing furniture but I would like to do something to this before I move it into my home office. I don't want to spend a lot of time or money, but I do want to do something good for the desk. I'm thinking of sanding it down and then staining it?

It's on end in this picture but I think it's standing about 7' tall.

Here's a close up of a stained area from something that was leaking out of a jug?

Taped-off and sanded with 220 using my G100 (Took all the work out of it). There were some pretty bad stains in one area that I couldn't sand all the way out...

2-Coats of MINWAX Red Mahogany 225

Sometime in the late 1980's or early 1990's Meguiar's introduced this "wood sander" to the detailing world as a DA Polisher for polishing paint. Back then they offered small foam buffing pads for use on air powered DA Sanders common to body shops so body shops could use their DA Sanders to remove swirls after the rotary buffer steps of machine polishing paint.

Can an air-powered DA Sander be used to polish paint?

Then when the Internet took off, everyone started selling PC's and introducing small foam pads that fit this tool. The evolution since then has been similar tools introduced and my guess is we'll see even more improvements to these oscillating polishers that will enable us to do more correction work without having to use a rotary buffer and be able to finish out better than what's possible today.

With 5.5" pads and 4" Spot Repair Pads, you can tackle just about anything that comes your way with any of the popular DA Polishers and to date, the PC has the reputation of being the most reliable, just not the most powerful... yet...

Post Thanks / Like

They are both good polishers. Don't forget the Meg's G110v2. I personally had the Porter Cable for several years and recently upgraded to the Griot's because of the increase in power and warantee. It's a tough decision between the three as they are all good polishers.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't mind spending the extra money the Flex is also a wise choice. Any of them will get the job done though. When you decide what to buy come back and ask for pad choices so you get the right size and type the first time.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the power and warranty of the GG but I read a thread yesterday where people have had a lot of problems with it.
    See that is the kind of information I am looking for...I don't want to hear that there are problems with something I'm considering buying. But at least it offers a lifetime warrantly. I understand that there are always some problem units with all tools, electronics, etc.. It's like buying a car I guess. Anyone else have feed back regarding reliability issues on these units?

The best thing to do with a new vehicle is to put it on a "Regular Maintenance Program". It's only when you neglect the appearance over time that it goes down hill.
    Mike, I am planning on using a sealant within the next few weeks. I actually have some klasse aio and sg that someone at work had. I can use that but I am a little intimidated with the application of the SG based on my reading about it. The other option was using something easier like Meguiars #21.

The Griot's has more power than both the Porter Cable PC7424XP and the Meguiar's DA Polisher but if you stick with 5.5" pads all these tools will work.
    That brings up a good question. What size pads should I be looking at? When I checked out the kits available I see both 6.5 and 5.5 sizes.
    That is a nice wood project bye the way. It is good to know these things have some versatility.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally had the Porter Cable for several years and recently upgraded to the Griot's because of the increase in power and warantee.
    What are the big differences for you between the units besides the power?

If you don't mind spending the extra money the Flex is also a wise choice. Any of them will get the job done though. When you decide what to buy come back and ask for pad choices so you get the right size and type the first time.
    I probably won't pull the trigger on something like the Flex to start but I have read some of the positive comments on the unit.
    I will certainly seek feedback on pads.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, after reading more old threads and also being the impatient person that I am I went ahead and placed an order today. I decided to go with the Griots unit. I'm a little concerned because of some of the recent posts about problems but I won't be putting the unit under heavy use and am counting on the warranty if I do run into a problem. So, here is what I ordered:

1. Griots DA
    2. 5 inch dual action backing plate
    3. 6 pack of 5.5 inch LC flat pads (2 orange, 2 white, 1 blue, 1 black)
    4. Meguiars 105 and 205
    5. Free sample of the liquid Souveran wax

Also got my free ground shipping as a forum member which was a nice surpise. So, how did I do? I think I probably couldn't go wrong with my choices and I am going to take things slow and work on the van and get that in shape first.
    Alex

Post Thanks / Like

I was in your same shoes a couple months back. I love my PC, but make sure you get the 5.5 pads, as the larger pads are practically useless, at least to me, I could never get them to continually spin. With the 5.5 pads I have not had any problems.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, i got the 5.5 inch pads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast