autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Overheated BP with PCXP

I didn't think I was adding pressure but then again, it happened to me on the vertical panels so I'm probably applying too much pressure while holding the tool to paint.

Mahalo for all of your feed back!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    It is from the excessive pressure being applied to the tool when used which is causing the heat. Just like I said when this so called method first appeared it was going to cause this problem, but some wanted to argue and look what happened.

People are pushing the da's behind what it was designed to do and blaming the tool. The da is just a polisher, very little pressure if any should be applied to the tool otherwise these problems are/will going to occur. I am not saying the da's can not do decent work, but it takes the correct pad and polish combo, but in the end people are pushing the da's past what they are really designed to do. So in the end you are going to have all these problems that basically were caused by the user of the tool, not the tool itself.
    Nice, so now your calling me a tool...Tell me something I don't already know

FWIW get a Griots DA. They have the lifetime warranty you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Nice, so now your calling me a tool...Tell me something I don't already know

FWIW get a Griots DA. They have the lifetime warranty you know
    And your point-lol. How"s it going Sausage. Still waiting on you to help me finish staining my fence.

Post Thanks / Like

And your point-lol. How"s it going Sausage. Still waiting on you to help me finish staining my fence.
    Everything is just lovely here

As for that fence staining...I thought we agreed you would send me that new Fien rotary to play with for a couple of weeks and in turn I would drive up and give you a helping hand with your fence

I must warn however, I start my days at 04:30 SHARP. NO EXCEPTIONS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Everything is just lovely here

As for that fence staining...I thought we agreed you would send me that new Fien rotary to play with for a couple of weeks and in turn I would drive up and give you a helping hand with your fence

I must warn however, I start my days at 04:30 SHARP. NO EXCEPTIONS
    Since you start that early I will just stay up. The funny thing is you said you were going to help before you even knew I had the Fein. The stain and brushes are still waiting on you and the fine from the HOA-lol.

Post Thanks / Like

It is from the excessive pressure being applied to the tool when used which is causing the heat. Just like I said when this so called method first appeared it was going to cause this problem, but some wanted to argue and look what happened.

People are pushing the da's behind what it was designed to do and blaming the tool. The da is just a polisher, very little pressure if any should be applied to the tool otherwise these problems are/will going to occur. I am not saying the da's can not do decent work, but it takes the correct pad and polish combo, but in the end people are pushing the da's past what they are really designed to do. So in the end you are going to have all these problems that basically were caused by the user of the tool, not the tool itself.
    Some have no problems with their backing plates using KBM, but that's because of the backing plate itself. Some of the earlier LC plates could not take the heat. I agree with Dana that the da's were not meant to be used in this manner. After all it was designed to be a sander.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey I have gotten results from using A LOT of pressure on my DA... but i will be the first to tell you i melted the center out of many of my CCS pads too so that the middle is dimpled ... after see that pad destruction I made the mental decision to learn the rotary... Pads aint cheap

Post Thanks / Like

The funny thing is you said you were going to help before you even knew I had the Fein.
    You need to learn that I already know what your thinking/planning even before you do

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Some have no problems with their backing plates using KBM, but that's because of the backing plate itself. Some of the earlier LC plates could not take the heat. I agree with Dana that the da's were not meant to be used in this manner. After all it was designed to be a sander.
    First off, if you'll look back on page 1, I gave the answer first. Dana is just riding my coatails

Second, the BP might not explode on some, but the machine will most certainally give out prematurally. This machine was not designed to be used in this manner. However, if you are acheiving the results your looking for using the KBM them just plan on the lifespan of your PC to be cut short. Consider it a cost of doing business

Mike Phillips

I might as well chime in too...

From this thread back in April,

Strange Griot's DA problems (new version)...

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post

Also, when polishing on speed 6, the polisher really heats up the pad and it "swells" towards the middle. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Pushing the tool and the pad to their limit?

Some jobs are best done with a rotary buffer. The trend I've noticed over the last 8 years online is that more and more people purchase DA Polishers because they're gentle and safe and then push the envelope more and more as to what they expect the tool to do.

Now with a more powerful tool, the Griot's Garage 6" ROP, the next weak link is going to be backing plates and pads.

We've already seen two companies re-design their backing plates to withstand more rigorous use. We've seen foam pad manufactures improve their adhesive technology to withstand more heat, chemical interaction and the violent oscillating action created by DA Polishers.

Here's a question, is it possible there isn't a problem with backing plates and pads, but instead, maybe we've reached the point where we're starting to reach the limit as to what technology can provide?

Just some food for thought...
    There's be a very strong trend towards using 5.5" pads on DA Polishers on this forum, one reason could be I recommend them a lot because I know that all three of the DA polishers we sell can keep them rotating better than the larger 6.5 and 7" pads and it's when the pad is rotating that it removes swirls and scratches, another way of saying this is in order to remove swirls and scratches you need to remove a little paint and paint is removed best when the pad is rotating, not just "jiggling" or vibrating.

Here's the deal... because the 5.5 inch pads are smaller in diameter, and thinner, there is less foam substance to absorb and dissipate heat, so as you press on the polisher and generate heat over time it's going to affect a smaller pad more than a larger pad, this is true for 4" spot repair pads also...

Here's some pictures to help show the differences...

These are 6.5" and 5.5" Lake Country, flat light orange foam cutting pads...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12