autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: G110v2 vs GG6 vs PC 7424XP

Can I apply and remove NXT 2.0 with the G110v2?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

True lacquer, like often used on furniture is very soft as compared to car paint. It's also going to be thin, if it were me I would do some testing with some much less aggressive. I've worked with Ethan-Allen and Henredon furniture companies with their lacquer finishes and they are thin and soft.

Also do a test spot first and not smack dab in the middle of the table. UC is actually very aggressive, it may leave the surface looking hazing. That's not a problem as you're supposed to follow a more aggressive product with a less aggressive product but besides that you're also supposed to,

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"
    Your amazing!!! Is there something you dont know?

Since we are talking about furniture, can I use Collinite Insulator Wax to protect my Granite counter tops?

Tell me if I am correct: Most abrasive to Less
    1. Scratch X
    2. UC
    3. Swirl X
    4. NXT 2.0
    Are there any consumer products in between Im missing?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Can I apply and remove NXT 2.0 with the G110v2?
    Yes, use a finishing pad on about the 3.0 to 4.0 speed setting. Let it fully dry before removing.

Since we are talking about furniture, can I use Collinite Insulator Wax to protect my Granite counter tops?
    I don't think there will be any problems. Flitz actually offers some Granite specific products, Flitz Granite Wax Plus

Tell me if I am correct: Most abrasive to Less
    1. Scratch X
    2. UC
    3. Swirl X
    4. NXT 2.0
    Are there any consumer products in between I'm missing?
    See this article,

The Aggressiveness Order of SMAT Products - This might surprise you!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It says on your website "Meguiars Ultimate Compound cuts as fast as harsh abrasive compounds but without scratching… even on clear coat finishes"

So does that mean its safe to use it as a polish? Also if it wont scratch the clear coat then I dont have to follow it up with a less abrasive polish after correct?

All the marketing language is confusing me I dont know what to believe.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Whats the difference of using a Quick Detailer vs Water or Windex to remove stuff from your car in between washings? It just seems like another thing to buy.

Mike, you should change your name to Mr. W i k i

Post Thanks / Like

Good summary of the key idea behind how swirls are removed using a tool with a Free Floating Spindle Assembly.

IF the pad doesn't rotate, all it does is vibrate or wiggle against the paint. A DA Polisher can both rotate and oscillate against the paint at the same time and it's this ability that enables it to remove a little paint to remove the swirls and at the same time do it in a way that doesn't instill swirls.

I think I cover this in this recent video...

Index of /

The Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher has the most powerful motor out of the three DA Polishers but they can all keep the pad rotating under pressure as long as you don't place too large of a pad on the tool.

Here's some more information on all these tools..

How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project

Tips and Techniques for using the PC 7424XP Dual Action Polisher to remove Below Surface Defects

The Free Floating Spindle Assembly - The Story Behind The Story...

Mike:
    I think you sold one of the GG specials today. I was looking for more information on the GG polisher and came across this thread.

Daily Deal Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher & Pad Kit

Although it has the 6.5 in pads I have enough pads and a 5in backing plate to use the smaller pads.

Sadly I will be retiring my original PC that has served me very faithfully for over 8 years.

One of my buddy,s has been on me to move up to a PCXP and I believe he has plans for my old PC as a donation to a member in our car club.

Post Thanks / Like

It says on your website "Meguiars Ultimate Compound cuts as fast as harsh abrasive compounds but without scratching… even on clear coat finishes"

So does that mean its safe to use it as a polish? Also if it wont scratch the clear coat then I dont have to follow it up with a less abrasive polish after correct?

All the marketing language is confusing me I dont know what to believe.
    Well, it cuts hard and fast, and it can leaving hazing and micro marring behind. I say can because it doesn't always happen. Depends on the paint and clearcoat. UC is akin to 105, and most people follow 105 with 205, and SwirlX is akin to 205. So it may be a good idea to have UC and SwirlX on hand just in case you need to go over the paint again to really polish it up to your liking.

Whats the difference of using a Quick Detailer vs Water or Windex to remove stuff from your car in between washings? It just seems like another thing to buy.

Windex on...paint? Quick Detailers have lubricants and cleaners to help break up the bird droppings and sap that fall onto your car, so when you go to wipe the droppings off with a thick microfiber towel (the longer nap keeps the dirt in the towel instead of moving it around), you reduce and eliminate the chances to installing new swirls into the paint.
    Kyle
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugdug View Post
    Anyways, a customer with a hummer asked me if there was a surcharge for his hummer. I said yes, it's an SUV. He said quote "well it's an H3, so it's not really an suv".......

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE

I used the G110v2 about 6 times, then it stopped working. It does a great job but doesn't last. Took the DA to Megs Irvine they mailed me a new one. The new one makes a grinding sound an the motor get hot really fast will be going down to Irving AGAIN today to ask for a replacement.
    Last edited by Homer; 07-14-2010 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Added

Mike Phillips

A quality spray detailer will offer high lubricity to lubricate the surface while wiping, it will encapsulate dirt and dust to protect a delicate clear coat finish and it will leave the paint looking clear and shiny.

Water and glass cleaners won't do any of the above well enough to meet the needs and demands of a true car enthusiasts.

I shudder at just the thought of trying to use plain water or glass cleaner on a highly polished and waxes finish to remove dirt and dust build-up.

I know too many people that have forgotten more than I'll ever know...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234